Author Topic: Will NY trade the #4 Pick to Denver?  (Read 3218 times)

Will NY trade the #4 Pick to Denver?
« on: May 28, 2015, 02:20:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Knicks are almost certainly going to look to trade that #4 pick.  The fanbase is impatient and Phil Jackson is old.  Plus, Melo is 30 and the Knicks should look to make the most of his last 4-6 years of high level play (it may even be as few as 3 given the knee issues).

The Nuggets, on the other hand, are in a position similar to the Celtics in that they have a bunch of decent players and no top players, or anybody who is likely to turn into a top player.  Unlike the Celtics, the Nuggets aren't in a crappy conference, so the playoffs are a million miles away.

Draft night -- Nuggets offer Ty Lawson and Kenneth Faried for the #4 pick.  Does NY consider this?

It's not a sexy trade for New York, but Lawson and Faried would be a good start in putting together a decent supporting cast around Melo.

Could the Celts get involved in the trade somehow, perhaps by offering Avery Bradley to New York and sending some lesser picks Denver's way in return for the #7?
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Will NY trade the #4 Pick to Denver?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 02:26:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't see Phil Jackson being overly interested in Ty Lawson. Undersized defensively deficient PG who does fit well into the Triangle offense. Does not sound like a Phil Jackson player to me. Faried might appeal to Phil for his untapped potential defensively in becoming an elite facilitator (via defense & rebounding with athleticism, energy and effort).

I just don't see the Nuggets being able to put together an attractive enough trade package.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 02:27:09 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I'd totally be fine with throwing something like Bradley and #16 in the trade and getting back something like Calderon and #7. Just move IT to the starting lineup and Smart to the 2. Calderon would be an excellent backup PG, especially if all of the Love rumors are true. We could then take WCS or Winslow at #7 and fill one of those spots long-term.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 02:31:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I don't see Phil Jackson being overly interested in Ty Lawson. Undersized defensively deficient PG who does fit well into the Triangle offense. Does not sound like a Phil Jackson player to me. Faried might appeal to Phil for his untapped potential defensively in becoming an elite facilitator (via defense & rebounding with athleticism, energy and effort).

I just don't see the Nuggets being able to put together an attractive enough trade package.

The Triangle thing really seems like an impediment to New York in building a good team in the near future.

Okay, for one thing, the Triangle seems like an outdated offensive philosophy given where the league is at.  Even ignoring that, finding players who are a really good fit in that system can be hard.

Will New York really forego getting superior players in order to stay laser-focused on putting the Triangle in place?

As for Denver's ability to put together a trade package, what about my second question -- is there a way for the Celtics (or some other team with assets) to get involved that would get New York interested?
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 03:18:15 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
The Knicks are almost certainly going to look to trade that #4 pick.  The fanbase is impatient and Phil Jackson is old.  Plus, Melo is 30 and the Knicks should look to make the most of his last 4-6 years of high level play (it may even be as few as 3 given the knee issues).

The Nuggets, on the other hand, are in a position similar to the Celtics in that they have a bunch of decent players and no top players, or anybody who is likely to turn into a top player.  Unlike the Celtics, the Nuggets aren't in a crappy conference, so the playoffs are a million miles away.

Draft night -- Nuggets offer Ty Lawson and Kenneth Faried for the #4 pick.  Does NY consider this?

It's not a sexy trade for New York, but Lawson and Faried would be a good start in putting together a decent supporting cast around Melo.

Could the Celts get involved in the trade somehow, perhaps by offering Avery Bradley to New York and sending some lesser picks Denver's way in return for the #7?
  New York will be looking for a star in the draft or by trading the pick, not useful pieces. Denver appears to be in a total rebuild, so maybe 16, 28, and Bradley or Sullinger  for 7 might interest them, but I have my doubts. I think they are more concerned with moving Lawson and Faried for even more picks rather than moving #7.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 03:28:33 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I'm not sure the Triangle is outdated. The Warriors certainly have some Triangle in their sets. The Lakers won a chip not long ago using the Triangle.

I do agree that it requires certain players, but there are plenty of facilitating bigs and sharpshooters in today's game that would make it a feasible offense.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 03:39:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Ty Lawson and Kenneth Faried are good players. The #4 overall should be an elite prospect. You don't trade 2 good players for an elite prospect.

Phil should pass on that, and look at other options.

Like, would Phoenix do Eric Bledsoe, the Morris twins, a S&T'd Brendan Wright, and #13 overall for #4 overall?

Now THAT would be a start towards something.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 03:41:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I don't think that's enough for NY.  would YOU trade the #4 pick this year for a short, defensively-challenged PG and a short, offensively-challenged PF?  I wouldn't.  If NY is going to trade that pick, it will be in exchange for someone who could be the #2 guy to go with Melo. 

As for the C's horning into the deal -- won't happen since I see this as a non-starter. 

Possible thought if Philly were interested -- NY's #4 to Philly for Noel.  Provides the defensive presence to play PF next to Melo and some minutes at Center.  Philly gets another treasured draft pick, unloads yet another talented young player and can make 2 top-4 picks.  A backcourt of Russell and Mudiay could really be something or Russel and Winslow to go with Embiid next year would be a pretty solid kiddie core and would address some of the logjam they have in the frontcourt.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Ty Lawson and Kenneth Faried are good players. The #4 overall should be an elite prospect. You don't trade 2 good players for an elite prospect.

Like, would Phoenix do Eric Bledsoe, the Morris twins, a S&T'd Brendan Wright, and #13 overall for #4 overall?

that would fill out the roster a bit but not enough top end talent.  rotation players and Bledsoe should be a decent starter but the rest are bench guys.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 04:42:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Is the #4 pick in this draft really rated that highly, though?

I know there are some people who really like Deangelo Russell (or Mudiay, depending on what the Sixers do), but I don't get the sense that either is considered to be an "elite" prospect, certainly not in the top tier of prospects who are pretty much guaranteed to be All-Star caliber, health allowing.

My sense of this draft is that it's a two player draft with some OK depth in the top 10-12 and then a lot of might-be-decent role players through the first third of the second round. 

Russell might be Brandon Roy, or he might be Kevin Martin or even a poor man's Jamal Crawford.  Mudiay might be similar to Westbrook, or he might be Tony Wroten.

If New York looks to trade the pick, I'd be surprised if they get a godfather offer like you describe.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 04:55:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I know there are some people who really like Deangelo Russell (or Mudiay, depending on what the Sixers do), but I don't get the sense that either is considered to be an "elite" prospect, certainly not in the top tier of prospects who are pretty much guaranteed to be All-Star caliber, health allowing.

I think Mudiay is the best PG prospect since John Wall.

I would take him #2 ahead of Okafor.

I think Mudiay is a special talent. I think he really hurt his draft stock by going over to China.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 05:00:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Possible thought if Philly were interested -- NY's #4 to Philly for Noel.  Provides the defensive presence to play PF next to Melo and some minutes at Center.  Philly gets another treasured draft pick, unloads yet another talented young player and can make 2 top-4 picks.  A backcourt of Russell and Mudiay could really be something or Russel and Winslow to go with Embiid next year would be a pretty solid kiddie core and would address some of the logjam they have in the frontcourt.

Now that is a guy who I think Phil Jackson would love = Nerlens Noel.

Length, athleticism. Defense orientated. Rebounds well. Creates turnovers. Great quickness for his position. Makes his teammates better (defensively + creates extra possessions). Shows some promise of developing into a capable passer at that center position (unlike so many other defensive centers).

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 05:06:35 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

My sense of this draft is that it's a two player draft with some OK depth in the top 10-12 and then a lot of might-be-decent role players through the first third of the second round. 

Russell might be Brandon Roy, or he might be Kevin Martin or even a poor man's Jamal Crawford.  Mudiay might be similar to Westbrook, or he might be Tony Wroten.

If New York looks to trade the pick, I'd be surprised if they get a godfather offer like you describe.
Yea the 4 pick is not as valuable as that.

If I were Ainge I'd offer IT and take back Jose Calderon. Give them pick or picks, just not 16 (Upshaw). And I'd still trade Avery and whatever other role player to get Myles Turner.

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 08:20:49 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I could see the following two trades involving Denver.

Knicks get Kenneth Faried
Denver gets no 4 pick

Kings get Ty Lawson
Denver gets no 6 pick and Darren Collison.

Denver becomes the Sixers of the West.

As for the Knicks, I could then see them going after Greg Monroe and having a front court of Faried and Monroe to go with Melo.

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 08:26:27 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Knicks get Kenneth Faried
Denver gets no 4 pick
Please tell me I am missing something. Please tell me that you are not suggesting a trade of Kenneth Faried for the number 4 pick.

Please man, I beg of you.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.