Author Topic: I wish/hope Jimmy Butler...  (Read 1901 times)

I wish/hope Jimmy Butler...
« on: May 28, 2015, 01:57:02 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
knows how good he could have it as a Celtics.

He would be the unquestioned face of the franchise.

Take all the shots his heart desires with the other players not complaining and also encouraging it.

Max money.

Be a part of potentially the best perimeter defense in the league, with AB clamping PGs, Smart making SGs cry, and him shutting down the SFs. With all three guys able to do switching and hold their own, AB can take a lot more 2s than given credit, Smart can handle some SFs/PGs and Butler can take all of the above.

A group of players who can all grow together and still have a few years until they even reach their prime.

Great coach/GM.  Coach that won't ride you until you break down but will give you the minutes you earn/want.

Team has assets to bring in talent upon talent.

All the young talent we already have that can also grow into their prime with him. Sully as the starting PF getting rbs all day a guy who can score in many ways (even as he is now) and a talented passer. Kelly as the backup PF who can rb, hit shots, pass it, a Jack of all trades off the bench. Jae as the backup SF to come in and defend and score as you rest. Evan can come in and relieve all 3 positions and produce buckets, assist and rbs,  another JOT. IT4 a PG who can come in and get 20pts in mere minutes, get a bucket at any time and/or get to the line. Zeller a backup C who can dominate backup bigs with IT4 in the P&R and more. Have ways to add a starting defensive C through a few avenues. Still can add many more young players to grow with him and/or veterans who are already very good.

Franchise of winning, great owners, staff, FANS, and so much more.

I'm probably forgetting something but even if that's the case, he could have it MADE here.

Edit: I forgot to give mention to JY, a guy who has the potential to be a lights out shooter, if he becomes as good as he can be he could have AB shifted to the bench and it still be a huge win for us. Even if he just lights it up off the bench it could do wonders for us.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:13:18 PM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Re: I wish/hope Jimmy Butler...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 02:05:47 PM »

Offline smiggity

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 3
This is more a CBA question than anything else - can a player sign a max contract this summer with a one-year opt-out?

For example, can the Celtics sign Jimmy Butler to a 4-year/max contract this summer that allows him to opt-out in 1 or 2 years when the salary cap spikes?

If so, that might be more attractive to Butler (and other players like him) than signing a 5-year max at today's dollars. The player can have their cake and eat it, too. The player gets the security of the four-year deal (simply don't opt-out) while still maintaining the ability to take advantage of the salary cap increase.

Can any of you CBA gurus enlighten me? If the answer to my question is yes, I could see lots of players doing this and perhaps more player movement than many anticipated this summer (due to the expected cap spike).

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 02:08:31 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think the only way to get him will be a sign and trade (a real long-shot).   Otherwise, expect Chicago to match any contract he signs.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 02:12:05 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
This is more a CBA question than anything else - can a player sign a max contract this summer with a one-year opt-out?

For example, can the Celtics sign Jimmy Butler to a 4-year/max contract this summer that allows him to opt-out in 1 or 2 years when the salary cap spikes?

If so, that might be more attractive to Butler (and other players like him) than signing a 5-year max at today's dollars. The player can have their cake and eat it, too. The player gets the security of the four-year deal (simply don't opt-out) while still maintaining the ability to take advantage of the salary cap increase.

Can any of you CBA gurus enlighten me? If the answer to my question is yes, I could see lots of players doing this and perhaps more player movement than many anticipated this summer (due to the expected cap spike).

I think you're only allowed to give a player option for one season, so it would be a 4 yr contract that they could opt out of in 3 years.  There would still be a huge payday in it for him, so it's possible.

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 02:15:34 PM »

Offline smiggity

• Joe Mazzulla

I think you're only allowed to give a player option for one season, so it would be a 4 yr contract that they could opt out of in 3 years.  There would still be a huge payday in it for him, so it's possible.

Now that I look at it, I think this is right.

"Player options were previously used as a way to give the player more money. A long-term deal was agreed upon with a player option after the player obtained Larry Bird rights. The player invoked the option, became a free agent, and then the team & player signed a new contract for more money using the Bird exception. However they closed this loophole by preventing player options and ETOs before all but the last season of a contract."

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q59

So the Celtics could offer a 3-year max with an opt-out after year two that might split the difference between security and taking advantage of the tax spike.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 02:20:29 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
I think the only way to get him will be a sign and trade (a real long-shot).   Otherwise, expect Chicago to match any contract he signs.

We could give up picks and filler. It's all going to hinge on if he says he wants out though. That or a long shot prayer they don't match (with DRose maybe helping by saying he doesn't want him there). Oh well, I'm not really saying how he gets here but more of why he should want to be here. Especially with all the Bulls bigs/core old and breaking down, Rose the face of the franchise and also injured every other day, not many assets, no coach, and a meh organization (these days).

I would be will to give them the 3 picks this year not named #16, JY, and ET. If I HAD to I could be convinced to give them #28, JY or KO, with a protected #1 to take GWall for salary matching  purposes. I'm not giving up more b/c I don't even want to do package 2. We need 16 for a defensive C even it it means we move back for more assets.

Ah let me get real, they can take my final offer of...

#16, #28 and TPE. I don't know if that works money wise but that's a lot for a player who wants out and you have to trade him anyway.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:44:30 PM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 02:43:35 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Kawhi Leonard and Butler are both restricted FA's and aren't going anywhere.  Why are people writing like this is even a chance (us getting Butler).  Butler is young and a player the Bulls will build around not trade.

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 02:48:58 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
Kawhi Leonard and Butler are both restricted FA's and aren't going anywhere.  Why are people writing like this is even a chance (us getting Butler).  Butler is young and a player the Bulls will build around not trade.

Even if there is no chance we can get either of them doesn't mean we can't have a discussion based on how good it would be if we did have them. Butler isn't LBJ/KD/AD level of untouchable.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 02:50:34 PM »

Offline smiggity

• Joe Mazzulla

I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate that (1) Butler would prefer not to sign a five-year max contract extension when the cap is set to spike in 2016 and 2017 and (2) if Butler is not intent on signing a five-year max deal (which only Chicago can offer), he is open to playing elsewhere.

While it is true that Chicago can match any offer, they may prefer to work out a sign and trade depending on the specifics of the offer sheet he signs elsewhere.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 03:01:09 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate that (1) Butler would prefer not to sign a five-year max contract extension when the cap is set to spike in 2016 and 2017 and (2) if Butler is not intent on signing a five-year max deal (which only Chicago can offer), he is open to playing elsewhere.

While it is true that Chicago can match any offer, they may prefer to work out a sign and trade depending on the specifics of the offer sheet he signs elsewhere.

No they won't unless they get an All Star in return.  Why would the Bulls do a sign and trade with us?  The answer is they wouldn't.  No GM would do a sign and trade to get rid of Butler.  They wouldn't get value. 

All I said is that the Bulls will match anything anybody offers.  Nobody said anything about a 5 year deal.  The Bulls and not Butler hold all the cards here.  Read every single report by every single writer and they say the same thing.  Plus there's never been one article written that says Butler is unhappy with Chicago..

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 03:15:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

If he is open to playing elsewhere, that doesn't mean he is closed to playing in Chicago.  If he signs a minimum-length offer sheet with someone else (the minimum length depends on whether or not the Bulls give him a maximum qualifying offer), the Bulls match and hope they can convince him to stay with the option of trading him in a couple of years if that looks unlikely.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

No they won't unless they get an All Star in return.  Why would the Bulls do a sign and trade with us?  The answer is they wouldn't.  No GM would do a sign and trade to get rid of Butler.  They wouldn't get value. 

All I said is that the Bulls will match anything anybody offers.  Nobody said anything about a 5 year deal.  The Bulls and not Butler hold all the cards here.  Read every single report by every single writer and they say the same thing.  Plus there's never been one article written that says Butler is unhappy with Chicago..

Might as well try get him. I think everyone is acknowledging that it is unlikely to get him but at least make an attempt.