Author Topic: Help Clear Cap room For 2 max guys.  (Read 3384 times)

Help Clear Cap room For 2 max guys.
« on: May 27, 2015, 11:40:22 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Is It possible this year? On the trade machine you can trade Wallace to Philly for nobody and it works. So If we throw them a good pick we could move wallace. That's 10.1 million added to 23 million? 33 million. What else can be done with exemptions? We could move Bradley.

But If we could land Love and Butler or Deandre and Butler. That would be nuts.

Re: Help Clear Cap room For 2 max guys.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 11:42:21 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Yes. We need to get rid of (presumably through trade, or possibly stretch provisions in an extreme circumstance) at least 2 of Wallace, AB, and IT while renouncing the cap holds and Bird Rights to most or all of the team's free agents.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 11:45:44 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Willie Cauley Stein 
 Kevin Love
 Jimmy Butler
 Marcus Smart
 Isaiah Thomas

If we can pull that off Ainge is my hero.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 11:52:56 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Trade Wallace for with a future 1st. Bring in Love and I think it is only natural that Deandre will follow because of his lack of success in the West. Trade Smart and 16 for Stanley Johnson. Move Thomas into the starting 5.

PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Stanley Johnson
PF: Kevin Love
C: Deandre Jordan

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:02:34 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Win the title next year team.

Marc Gasol
 Kevin Love
 Paul Pierce
 Avery Bradley
 Marcus Smart

Bench Thomas, Zeller, Sully, Kelly, Turner, Young, Hollis- Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 12:21:16 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Marc Gasol
 Kevin Love
 Paul Pierce
 Avery Bradley
 Marcus Smart

Not possible.   Can't have Thomas and Bradley while adding Gasol and Love.  One of Thomas and Bradley needs to be dumped for cap space.   Seems the most likely would be Bradley for a draft pick.  As far as I know, teams were only offering late 1sts for Bradley... which is what it would take to dump Wallace.  So you would essentially dump Bradley + Wallace for nothing.   

Lots of threads here have us giving up Bradley for picks in the 10-14 range, but thus far we have no reason to believe a team is willing to give up a pick in the 10-14 range for Bradley. 

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 02:03:55 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Well depending on the FAs  you may just need an exemption type move of Wallace. If it's two experienced vet maxes then you need to dump more than Wallace or score a S&T

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 07:57:35 AM »

Offline farishmj16

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 0
to require two max players would we HAVE TO trade Bradley?

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 08:12:28 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Bass and Wallace needs to go ..

Period .

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 08:38:23 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Marc Gasol
 Kevin Love
 Paul Pierce
 Avery Bradley
 Marcus Smart

Not possible.   Can't have Thomas and Bradley while adding Gasol and Love.  One of Thomas and Bradley needs to be dumped for cap space.   Seems the most likely would be Bradley for a draft pick.  As far as I know, teams were only offering late 1sts for Bradley... which is what it would take to dump Wallace.  So you would essentially dump Bradley + Wallace for nothing.   

Lots of threads here have us giving up Bradley for picks in the 10-14 range, but thus far we have no reason to believe a team is willing to give up a pick in the 10-14 range for Bradley.

That roster is 100% possible to create in terms of salary.  There are two likely ways:

Love or Gasol is signed outright.

Then, a 3-way trade is worked out between Boston, Philly/Orlando/Denver/some other team without playoff ambitions next year, and Cleveland/Memphis.  Philly gets #28 this year (Boston probably chose it for them on draft night) and maybe a 2016 2nd.  They also get Pressey and Babb as immediately waivable salary filler.  Cleveland/Memphis gets one of Olynyk/Sully/Zeller (probably Olynyk since he's under control longer) and a 1st (I think the lesser of the C's pick or the Dallas pick next year, or maybe this year's first if Memphis/Cleveland likes the player).  Both teams also get a huge trade exception ($17 million for Cleveland, $19 million for Memphis, since they can absorb Olynyk/Sully/Zeller with a different TPE).  This allows Boston to send out enough salary to match the incoming salary of Love/Gasol in a trade.

Alternatively, one of Olynyk/Sully is sent somewhere at a discount (maybe with Wallace lessening the draft compensation owed, or maybe not).  Turner is also sent away.  This creates enough room to sign both outright.  Pierce is signed with the Room Exception (obviously giving Boston a discount to return, albeit not a huge one relative to the Taxpayer Mid-Level he'd get from the Clippers).  The existence of this alternative (as well as Love telling Cleveland that he's signing with Boston or LA and that Cleveland has no chance) is why the three-trade scenario works, as it gives Boston enough leverage to not have to pay through the nose in the sign-and-trade, as there's a viable alternative that leaves Cleveland or Memphis high and dry.

If your preferred center is Jordan (as mine is due to Jordan's superior defense and stellar health record relative to Gasol), you can sub in the Clippers for Memphis in the above, and it works just the same.

But it is very possible to sign both max players without giving up too much in future draft picks or young assets currently on the roster --especially young assets that won't lose their roles with the signing of Love and a max center.

The biggest obstacle to the C's getting two max free agents here is finding two max free agents choosing to come here.  Creating the salary room without gutting the roster is the easy part.  In fact, it was easy enough that if the 3-way sign-and-trade scenario worked above, Bradley, Turner, and a pick(s) could be sent to Milwaukee in a sign-and-trade for Middleton.

P.S.  All the above scenarios work with us keeping Crowder, although likely saying goodbye to both Bass and Jerebko (but possibly keeping one).

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
We could be able to get rid of Wallace's contract for another overpaid player, I don't see us getting by with just dangling that 28th pick, unless a team REALLY wants a player that's available at that point.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I'm thinking maybe Gerald Wallace's expiring plus the 16th for Eric Gordon, who the Pelicans don't want but has been playing good, and was a borderline star not too long ago, the fact that Stevens revived Turner's and Zeller's careers makes me think he can whip him back to all-star shape.... but that's course if danny wants to take that risk, plus it will cut in our caproom about 5 million... I can't think of any other overpaid players with potential... besides him and Gordon Hayward.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:23:42 AM by CelticGuardian »

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 11:37:13 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
I don't want Love or Butler. I want Durant...why settle for the B Squad when you MIGHT have a chance with someone thats top 5 in the league. I'm not trying to be the Hawks

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
We could be able to get rid of Wallace's contract for another overpaid player, I don't see us getting by with just dangling that 28th pick, unless a team REALLY wants a player that's available at that point.

The Sixers took on a year and a half of Javale McGee's salary, who makes $2 million more than Wallace next year, only to release him days later, for a 1st that was top 18 protected this year and top 15 protected the next two years OKC.  I think 28 is much closer to the cost of dumping Wallace than is 16.

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 01:03:33 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

The Sixers took on a year and a half of Javale McGee's salary, who makes $2 million more than Wallace next year, only to release him days later, for a 1st that was top 18 protected this year and top 15 protected the next two years OKC.  I think 28 is much closer to the cost of dumping Wallace than is 16.

Two things

1) it's the Sixers they love picks more than actually winning...

2) that is a first round pick ranging from outside the lottery but not limited to late first round

Idc if it's the 16th of the 28th... we should look to improve our talent level, even over missing out on a stud and at THAT draft range only two come to mind (Justin Anderson and Robert Upshaw) and maybe even Pat Cannaughton in the second round... obviously first priority should be moving up, but if not possible... move those picks around for at least a starter quality guy.