Author Topic: Help Clear Cap room For 2 max guys.  (Read 3410 times)

Re: Help Clear Cap room For 2 max guys.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 01:33:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
We could be able to get rid of Wallace's contract for another overpaid player, I don't see us getting by with just dangling that 28th pick, unless a team REALLY wants a player that's available at that point.

The Sixers took on a year and a half of Javale McGee's salary, who makes $2 million more than Wallace next year, only to release him days later, for a 1st that was top 18 protected this year and top 15 protected the next two years OKC.  I think 28 is much closer to the cost of dumping Wallace than is 16.

Two things

1) it's the Sixers they love picks more than actually winning...

2) that is a first round pick ranging from outside the lottery but not limited to late first round

Idc if it's the 16th of the 28th... we should look to improve our talent level, even over missing out on a stud and at THAT draft range only two come to mind (Justin Anderson and Robert Upshaw) and maybe even Pat Cannaughton in the second round... obviously first priority should be moving up, but if not possible... move those picks around for at least a starter quality guy.

Not quite sure what you're saying.  The argument is the Sixers would probably be willing to take Wallace for 28, maybe plus a second round pick.  This argument comes from the fact the Sixers took a heavily protected pick for paying Javale McGee more money than they would have to pay Wallace, and considered McGee worthless enough to just release.  #16 guaranteed is clearly more valuable than top 15 protected, since the best it can be is 16.  So the next pick down is 28.  That's less than a top 15 protected pick, but not by much, since the Thunder could very easily finish with a pick in the 25-30 range next year.  On the other hand, if the Thunder miss the playoffs the next two years (possible if injuries occur again), that pick becomes two second rounders in the distant future, which is far less valuable than a late first today.  And again, considering McGee's contract cost more than Wallace's, it should cost less to get rid of Wallace.

Nothing else you're saying sounds relevant towards the discussion of clearing salary to sign a second max player, but again, maybe I'm misunderstanding.

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 04:12:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Win the title next year team.

Marc Gasol
 Kevin Love
 Paul Pierce
 Avery Bradley
 Marcus Smart

Bench Thomas, Zeller, Sully, Kelly, Turner, Young, Hollis- Jefferson
Not possible.   Can't have Thomas and Bradley while adding Gasol and Love.  One of Thomas and Bradley needs to be dumped for cap space.   Seems the most likely would be Bradley for a draft pick.  As far as I know, teams were only offering late 1sts for Bradley... which is what it would take to dump Wallace.  So you would essentially dump Bradley + Wallace for nothing.   

Lots of threads here have us giving up Bradley for picks in the 10-14 range, but thus far we have no reason to believe a team is willing to give up a pick in the 10-14 range for Bradley.

I think you are so fixated on getting rid of Bradley that you are ignoring the possibility of salary dumping Turner and another non-minimum salary such as Zeller, who becomes less essential if you bring in Gasol and can find a backup through free agency or the draft.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 04:27:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Marc Gasol
 Kevin Love
 Paul Pierce
 Avery Bradley
 Marcus Smart

Not possible.   Can't have Thomas and Bradley while adding Gasol and Love.  One of Thomas and Bradley needs to be dumped for cap space.   Seems the most likely would be Bradley for a draft pick.  As far as I know, teams were only offering late 1sts for Bradley... which is what it would take to dump Wallace.  So you would essentially dump Bradley + Wallace for nothing.   

Lots of threads here have us giving up Bradley for picks in the 10-14 range, but thus far we have no reason to believe a team is willing to give up a pick in the 10-14 range for Bradley.

I think you are so fixated on getting rid of Bradley that you are ignoring the possibility of salary dumping Turner and another non-minimum salary such as Zeller, who becomes less essential if you bring in Gasol and can find a backup through free agency or the draft.
Yeah ok, that's a fair point.  Salary dumping Zeller + Turner gets you 6 mil in cap space.   So I guess you could salary dump Zeller, Turner, Wallace... let Crowder, Bass, Jerebko and Gigi walk... and you'll now have 39 mil in cap space to split between Love and Gasol. 

Leaves you with:

PG - Bradley
SG - Smart
SF - James Young, I guess
PF - Love
C - Gasol
-------
PG - Thomas
PF - Sully
PF - Oly

Fill out the rest with d-league talent or look to move Sully or Oly for a SF.

What's the max for Love and Gasol?  I know it depends on years of experience.   Maybe if we lock them in quick enough we can retain Crowder before someone offers him money and we're forced to match.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 04:48:22 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Marc Gasol
 Kevin Love
 Paul Pierce
 Avery Bradley
 Marcus Smart

Yeah ok, that's a fair point.  Salary dumping Zeller + Turner gets you 6 mil in cap space.   So I guess you could salary dump Zeller, Turner, Wallace... let Crowder, Bass, Jerebko and Gigi walk... and you'll now have 39 mil in cap space to split between Love and Gasol. 

Leaves you with:

PG - Bradley
SG - Smart
PF - Love
C - Gasol
-------
PG - Thomas
PF - Sully
PF - Oly

What's the max for Love and Gasol?  I know it depends on years of experience.   Maybe if we lock them in quick enough we can retain Crowder before someone offers him money and we're forced to match.

I think it's about $19 mil for each of them.  You are forgetting the room exception as well. Could grab Pierce as a stopgap until the cap jump in 2016.

Bradley/Smart/Pierce/Love/Gasol ain't bad.  A very slow frontcourt, but lots of skill and the athleticism and tenacity of the backcourt helps. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 05:29:25 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
We could be able to get rid of Wallace's contract for another overpaid player, I don't see us getting by with just dangling that 28th pick, unless a team REALLY wants a player that's available at that point.

The Sixers took on a year and a half of Javale McGee's salary, who makes $2 million more than Wallace next year, only to release him days later, for a 1st that was top 18 protected this year and top 15 protected the next two years OKC.  I think 28 is much closer to the cost of dumping Wallace than is 16.

Two things

1) it's the Sixers they love picks more than actually winning...

2) that is a first round pick ranging from outside the lottery but not limited to late first round

Idc if it's the 16th of the 28th... we should look to improve our talent level, even over missing out on a stud and at THAT draft range only two come to mind (Justin Anderson and Robert Upshaw) and maybe even Pat Cannaughton in the second round... obviously first priority should be moving up, but if not possible... move those picks around for at least a starter quality guy.

Not quite sure what you're saying.  The argument is the Sixers would probably be willing to take Wallace for 28, maybe plus a second round pick.  This argument comes from the fact the Sixers took a heavily protected pick for paying Javale McGee more money than they would have to pay Wallace, and considered McGee worthless enough to just release.  #16 guaranteed is clearly more valuable than top 15 protected, since the best it can be is 16.  So the next pick down is 28.  That's less than a top 15 protected pick, but not by much, since the Thunder could very easily finish with a pick in the 25-30 range next year.  On the other hand, if the Thunder miss the playoffs the next two years (possible if injuries occur again), that pick becomes two second rounders in the distant future, which is far less valuable than a late first today.  And again, considering McGee's contract cost more than Wallace's, it should cost less to get rid of Wallace.

Nothing else you're saying sounds relevant towards the discussion of clearing salary to sign a second max player, but again, maybe I'm misunderstanding.

What I'm saying is...because the Sixers did it... you think any other team would do it. Plus they were obviously banking on a pick right outside the lottery not a late first round pick... so by that logic a 28th pick is worthless.

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 07:07:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Marc Gasol
 Kevin Love
 Paul Pierce
 Avery Bradley
 Marcus Smart

Leaves you with:

PG - Bradley
SG - Smart
PF - Love
C - Gasol
-------
PG - Thomas
PF - Sully
PF - Oly

I describe in detail earlier in the thread how you can do it multiple ways.  You don't lose Crowder either.  You lose Bass probably, but when you're adding two elite big men and keeping 2 bigs on rookie deals, the Bass' of the world are natural roster space casualties, as opposed to cap space casualties.

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 07:30:21 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Trade Wallace for with a future 1st. Bring in Love and I think it is only natural that Deandre will follow because of his lack of success in the West. Trade Smart and 16 for Stanley Johnson. Move Thomas into the starting 5.

PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Stanley Johnson
PF: Kevin Love
C: Deandre Jordan

I Like this lineup. Good mix of offense and defense.  If we can improve on SF great but our options might be limited with bringing in Love & Jordan. Bradley & Sully get shipped out for some cheaper bench help to make the numbers work

PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Marcus Smart
SF: Crowder
PF: Kevin Love
C: Deandre Jordan
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird