Author Topic: Underrated Prospects: Jerian Grant and Devin Booker  (Read 5631 times)

Underrated Prospects: Jerian Grant and Devin Booker
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:25:55 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Jerian Grant should be available somewhere in the 20's.  He has excellent size for a PG at 6'5, is an excellent and efficient passer, and disrupts the offense with his long reach and good anticipation when playing D.

Profile:
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jerian-Grant-18095/

If Brad Stevens wants to play sets that feature 2 PGs at times, and wants to always have the size advantage in the backcourt, a Smart + Grant backcourt could be something special to watch.

Devin Booker is a pure shooter. At 6'6 he has good size for the position and is also the youngest prospect in the draft at age 18.  His 41.1% 3 point percentage is #1 in the draft class.  He looks like he has a stronger body than most young SGs with room to develop more muscle.  From a pure skill standpoint, I like him a lot.

If we want a pure shooter type, ala Klay Thompson, Booker could be the guy the Celtics need to space the floor and launch long range daggers.  His defense and athleticism may only be average but he doesn't look to be a liability on defense at this point and exhibits sound fundamentals.

Profile:
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Devin-Booker-7216/

Re: Underrated Prospects: Jerian Grant and Devin Booker
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:28:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
On Grant -- he's a senior.  So how high can his ceiling be?  Is he an immediate impact guy?  Isn't he more of a combo guard than a two?  In that case, where is he going to fit in the rotation?

As for Booker, I've heard the comparisons to Klay Thompson.  I've also heard much more skeptical takes on his potential.

I know that he didn't do much as far as getting rebounds, steals, or blocks in college, which typically isn't a good sign for an NBA prospect.  He's young, and supposedly is a great shooter, but didn't we draft a lanky high-upside, low-floor perimeter shooter project bench player from Kentucky last year?  Does it make sense to take another?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 08:43:47 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I like both Grant and Booker.  It may be three seasons from now that Booker starts to
show himself as a great pick.  That's a long wait if correct.  I'd be fine with that, though it would be nicer if James Young were readier so that we didn't have to ponder and pontificate about two guys with the same stature and skill set at the same time.  If they both panned out that'd be some nice offense to throw at teams.

I'd love to add Grant because I like tall versatile PG's and I don't like being so reliant on Turner's ball handling.  However, it seems IT is here to stay for awhile at least, and in choosing between a Smart, IT, Bradley backcourt verses a Smart, IT, Grant backcourt, I'm guessing the C's will choose the Bradley version for now.

Will be an interesting draft whether or not there are trades.  Can't remember a draft where I could imagine so many different guys at being taken at our position.  For now I'm leaning towards seemingly every draft site's choice for the C's, Bobby Portis.  I'd like that pick.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
On Grant -- he's a senior.  So how high can his ceiling be?  Is he an immediate impact guy?  Isn't he more of a combo guard than a two?  In that case, where is he going to fit in the rotation?

As for Booker, I've heard the comparisons to Klay Thompson.  I've also heard much more skeptical takes on his potential.

I know that he didn't do much as far as getting rebounds, steals, or blocks in college, which typically isn't a good sign for an NBA prospect.  He's young, and supposedly is a great shooter, but didn't we draft a lanky high-upside, low-floor perimeter shooter project bench player from Kentucky last year?  Does it make sense to take another?

Grant-- I'd say he's more of a pure PG than a 2 because his best skill is creating for others. He is a superior passer, and he can also create his own shot. I'd love to get him, but I think we'd have to use #16, and there will likely be equally-talented options there at positions of greater need.

Booker-- he's a one-dimensional shooter. He has solid size but a poor wingspan, and below-average athleticism for an NBA wing. He also doesn't create his own shot. Therefore his ceiling is pretty low, and there will be better options at 16.

The Klay Thompson comp for Booker is wayyy off, they just happen to look similar and both shoot the lights out. Klay is an excellent defender and also a versatile offensive player, whereas Booker is at best a solid defender and a role-player on offense.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:58:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Im a big ND fan so I watched Grant a lot.
The obvious concern with him, as you mention is that he is a senior.

However, unlike a lot of seniors in college ball, Grant has NBA athleticism and pedigree. Its not like he didnt produce until he became an upperclassman.

He is very explosive and does a really nice job getting to the rim. He has good floor vision and is a tremendous leader. Hes not afraid of the moment and wont be outmatched physically against almost any nba gaurds. He is great in the pick and roll.

He sometimes struggles to finish inside and his outside shot is shaky, but looks very nice at times.

I have no doubt he will be a solid gaurd in the NBA.

That being said I have a big ND bias

If you draft him hes a guy who will come in and play right away.

I would expect him to play mostly pg. that would suggest AB would be gone, but thats probably not a move that you would see until Grant hopefully forces it to happen midway through the year.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 09:14:46 PM »

Offline farishmj16

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 0
I like both prospects. Ainge has often taken the best player available in past drafts. I can see Ainge taking Grant. He reminds of Reggie Jackson. I'm a little lost so far on Smart's role in the offense as he rarely takes the ball up and has been more of a catch and shoot player and has played a lot of off ball offense. So maybe his future would be more of a shooting guard role.
Booker compares well to JJ Reddick, but more so Danny Green. He'd be an excellent cure for Boston's lack of 3 point shooting and spacing. He's an average athlete and an average defender but there is always room for improvement for the youngest player in the draft.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 09:23:32 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Booker would be a wasted pick.

We already have a Booker type in Young.

I like Grant's poise and toughness. I like Justin Anderson too for the same reasons.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 11:52:36 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I don't think they are underrated both should go 10-18 range. That means they are legit prospects.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If Jerian Grant is there at 16, and we're still picking at 16, that would be a pick I'd hope we could trade.  Certainly there are teams looking for a PG ready to contribute on day 1, and Grant is such a player. 

Booker is a smaller, better fundamentals (especially defensively) James Young.  He'll still be 18 his first game on an NBA roster.  There's a decent chance Booker doesn't pan out in the NBA.  There's also a decent chance Young doesn't.  I'm okay with having both on the roster to give us a better chance to get one wing that does.  Not my preferred choice, but if Booker is on the board at 16, he's likely the best player available.  I'd definitely prefer him to Dekker, for instance.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 02:21:26 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I honestly don't get the big hype regarding Devin Booker.
Sure he is a good shooter with decent size for a SG, but is there much more? We already got James Young on the bench, who is also a great shooter, hence that I don't get why we should draft Booker.

Besides that, Booker couldn't even start ahead of Aaron Harrison at KU, which worries me a bit if we end up drafting him.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 02:34:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Booker is projected to be a lottery pick and could go as high as #9 to Charlotte, who supposedly covets his shooting.

Grant's age limits his upside.

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Sure he is a good shooter with decent size for a SG, but is there much more? We already got James Young on the bench, who is also a great shooter, hence that I don't get why we should draft Booker.

Besides that, Booker couldn't even start ahead of Aaron Harrison at KU, which worries me a bit if we end up drafting him.

A few things (some already mentioned, some not):

1) James Young has not yet played well enough to warrant not picking a player at the same position/role. If we had Wiggins -- yes, you don't pick someone for the same spot.  But we don't, so if Booker is the BPA, you pick him, plain and simple.

2) The general thing I got from people who watched Kentucky is that Booker had a much better understanding of how to play defense than Young did/does.  So that's something.

3) Aaron Harrison started over Booker because a) he's 2 years older, and b) Andrew Harrison was the best PG on Kentucky, and performed better on the court with his twin.  Thus his twin got to start.  Booker clearly performed better than Aaron all year.  And both played over half the team's minutes, with not many minutes separating them.

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 01:55:58 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Seniors often times have higher ceilings in the NBA even though they are overlooked on draft night as the assumption is they will not have a high ceiling.

2011- Kenneth Faried (22), Jimmy Butler (30)
2012-  Damian Lillard (6), Andrew Nicholson (19), Draymond Green (35)

Throw in Zeller, Plumlee brothers, Crowder, Ezeli as people who met or exceeded expectations of where they were drafted and I wouldn't rule out Grant as he is a senior.

Is he an immediate impact guy?  yes IMO.  His father and uncle can help him mentally prepare for an NBA season better than most family members can, I think Grant's skill level would translate immediately to the NBA

Isn't he more of a combo guard instead of a 2?  Not really as I think he is a point guard more than an off guard do to his play making skills, but his ability to play the 2 gives the Celts more versatility.

In that case where would he fit in the rotation?  He could play in 3 guard rotations as he and Smart have the ability to guard the opponents 3, he could start at the 1 if Bradley is traded.  By starting Grant and Smart it would reduce the need to have Turner start as Grant and Smart could both handle the ball, it would also always give the Celtics a size advantage at the starting guard positions.

Grant is the guy that I think will be available at 16 and if the draft goes as projected, the guy I would take.

Grant does not turn the ball over often, ran a transition offense at ND, can also score on the ISO, is extremely comfortable and dangerous in the pick and roll, scored over 18 a game with a TS% of 60%, shot the 3 at a 34.5% rate.  I think learning CBS defensive scheme will make him a good defender, he has the size and athleticism to guard the opponents 1 or 2.  In college he was inconsistent on D but ND doesn't seem to play great defense. 

2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 02:11:37 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

There is absolutely no reason to avoid drafting a SG/SF because we have James Young. He has done nothing so far to make us believe that we are all set at that position for the next 7-10 years. He might become a decent player, but he is no all-star or top 3 scoring option on a contender.

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 02:13:41 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

Grant-- I'd say he's more of a pure PG than a 2 because his best skill is creating for others. He is a superior passer, and he can also create his own shot. I'd love to get him, but I think we'd have to use #16, and there will likely be equally-talented options there at positions of greater need.

Booker-- he's a one-dimensional shooter. He has solid size but a poor wingspan, and below-average athleticism for an NBA wing. He also doesn't create his own shot. Therefore his ceiling is pretty low, and there will be better options at 16.

The Klay Thompson comp for Booker is wayyy off, they just happen to look similar and both shoot the lights out. Klay is an excellent defender and also a versatile offensive player, whereas Booker is at best a solid defender and a role-player on offense.
I don't see how he is a pure one dimensional shooter, the kid can drive to the rim as well. As for the athleticism comment, didn't he top the combine in various tests of athleticism? Taking his speed into account that would eventually plug up any holes in this defense.