Author Topic: If Love signs here Plan.  (Read 9749 times)

Re: If Love signs here Plan.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 08:31:38 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
My plan would be to go after pick 4-5 and get Winslow. I'd be willing to burn 3-4 of our best picks plus Sullinger. That gives us three wolverines on defense to pair with Love, and they would all be capable offensive players who can space the floor. It would fit the offensive and defensive schemes Stevens prefers.

I can live with starting Zeller. He is already an average two way starting center, and he is still quite young. He's a solid player. We really get exploited at the rim when he leaves the game

We still have the makings of a great bench of IT, Crowder, Young and KO.

We would absolutely need a defensive minded center, but we can still get that via this draft or free agency. There are several further down in the draft this year. We got murdered when we didn't have Zeller in, and Sully or KO was left to defend the rim, but we can fix that with a young center or a free agent signing.

Surrounding Love with Winslow and a young defensive center is doable, and should make us a 50 win team. Now, free agents don't see a mess any more. They see a young team with talented two way players that do all the dirty work.  Most importantly, we still would have tons of cap space,with only one max slot used up. We'd be one or two players away, but we'd have several young guys who might become those players, and we'd have the cap space to sign talent too.

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 08:57:52 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
WCS
he can have an immediate impact on D and is the perfect antidote to Love's atrocious defense (really, really, really atrocious defense).

funny how this board loves Love but rags on Monroe's defense. next to Love Monroe looks like  first team all defense material.

ah well at least he'd put up numbers.

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 09:06:47 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
WCS
he can have an immediate impact on D and is the perfect antidote to Love's atrocious defense (really, really, really atrocious defense).

funny how this board loves Love but rags on Monroe's defense. next to Love Monroe looks like  first team all defense material.

ah well at least he'd put up numbers.

I think if we can't get a DJ, Gasol, or Lopez to sign with Love, then WCS should be what we aim for. Like you said he's a perfect complement to Love with as athletic as he is defensively.

And with all the turmoil that it seems the Bulls are having, it's not too terribly unlikely that Butler says he wants out and doesn't want to sign long-term there. Would you give Wallace, Sully, 16, and the Brooklyn pick next year for him? I think I definitely would, even if it is a bit of an overpay.

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 09:19:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Sign Love.

Stretch Wallace.

Look to sign Robin Lopez or Omer Asik.  Maybe look into acquiring Roy Hibbert.

Trade for or sign a competent wing.  Sullinger and / or Olynyk would be available in any trade.

I think the plan would be to get better by adding Love and a decent center, maybe a decent wing (e.g. W. Chandler), and then as the cap increases and the Brooklyn picks come rolling in over the next couple of years, you have the ability to take the team up to the next level (i.e. top contender) by adding another star to put next to Love.

I don't usually agree with Pho, but he's right on this one. If Love somehow comes to Boston, certain dominoes fall into line.

Wallace is stretched or traded away for a couple of 2nds next year to clear cap space.

Sully becomes expendable and is used as a trade chip as needed for any of the points below. Bradley is also on the block as needed, though Ainge wouldn't actively be looking to trade him.

Ainge will make a huge run at Boogie using everything but Smart. If he can't get him, he'll find a decent center fill in via Free Agency. If he still can't get one, he's moving up to get WCS in the draft.

Ainge would then look to shore up the SF spot. If Ainge doesn't get Boogie Cousins, I would not be surprised to see Kris Middleton brought in as he may be a good pairing with Love. It would push the cap, but it could be done.

But there would be a lot of movement very quickly and Ainge has the pieces to make things happen.

would not stretch Wallace whatsoever.  If the C's were actually in a position to sign a second good FA and needed that money freed up, trade him to a team with a second rounder or 2 to totally clear his salary

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 09:36:52 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I mean If we got Love. I could see maybeee Marc Gasol coming here. Kawai no way. Butler I would love that. But 4% chance he comes here. Maybe if Marky Mark offers him a role in Ted 3 he comes.

Love will be the first domino, but as a free agent you have to be thinking "if they were the 7th seed last year what would they be with me and Love".

I'm probably dreaming here, but I really hope for a trade for Cousins around draft night.  I doubt he gets traded as he has 3 years left on his contract.  Love might be more apt to sign here if that happens.  Maybe a package of Zeller, Sully, picks, is a starting point.  Might have to throw in Bradley or Smart(then maybe sign Rondo).  A Cousins Love front court in their mid 20's would be awesome to build around.  Then work on getting an elite SF later on.

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If Love comes here, he's taking up pretty much all 23 mil in cap room.  So look to trade Wallace and a 1st rounder for more cap space.   Even then, we don't have enough money to sign another max dude... so strongly consider dumping one of Bradley or Thomas... and throw a bunch of money at another major star like Gasol.  Or hang onto Bradley and Thomas and sign someone like Asik.  Need a rim protector.   

If you have Love, it makes Sully and Oly expendable... so combine some of those guys and picks to try and get an upgrade at a different position... maybe someone like Derozan. 

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 09:45:53 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
OK lets say we are able to sign Love, and he is, in fact, close to the Timberwolves Kevin Love once again. One thing Love needs around him are good defenders. He's not coming to the Celtics for a continuation of a rebuild.

If he comes to the C's we need a center that has some immediate impact, and at least one other solid scorer/defender to really make some noise.

It takes one quality Free Agent signing to draw in another one. If you sigh Love, it all opens up.

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 09:50:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
OK lets say we are able to sign Love, and he is, in fact, close to the Timberwolves Kevin Love once again. One thing Love needs around him are good defenders. He's not coming to the Celtics for a continuation of a rebuild.

If he comes to the C's we need a center that has some immediate impact, and at least one other solid scorer/defender to really make some noise.

It takes one quality Free Agent signing to draw in another one. If you sigh Love, it all opens up.

Of the free agents who are the best compliments to Love?  Gasol?   Asik?  Could Alldridge play next to him or would that be weird?

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 10:20:29 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
i disagree with the OP (I'm sorry but I had to deduct 5 TPs.) If we get Love the last thing we need is rookies. As others have said, the need then becomes getting a better center. We are ok at the 1 2 and 3 for now. It is perfect off the bench and AB is fine as a 4th or 5th option 3 and D starter. Turner gives us another year for Smart to develop as PG and we can hide Crowder a bit and let him develop more too.

If we get Love, I would make offers to all the top centers out there. If we strike out, I'd get the bpa at center and try to keep flexibility for trades down the line.

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Of the free agents who are the best compliments to Love?  Gasol?   Asik?  Could Alldridge play next to him or would that be weird?
Gasol would be ideal, Jordan would be interesting, because theyd be so different but can you imagine the rebounding?

I dont like Asik, but he could be a backup option.

Hibbert and Noah could be available for trades on the cheap.

Robin Lopez is another interesting one.

I think adding Gasol or Jordan along with Love pushes us pretty close to contention. Adding any of the others I mentioned would still vault us to Bulls Wizards territory but no farther.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2015, 10:33:50 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Gasol would be ideal, Jordan would be interesting, because theyd be so different but can you imagine the rebounding?

I dont like Asik, but he could be a backup option.

Hibbert and Noah could be available for trades on the cheap.

Robin Lopez is another interesting one.

I think adding Gasol or Jordan along with Love pushes us pretty close to contention. Adding any of the others I mentioned would still vault us to Bulls Wizards territory but no farther.
i wonder if sanders' brain and heart are sufficiently recovered and repaired that he would entertain joining the celtics? an outstanding defensive center for free.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 10:33:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
your idea would = logjam at the pf position

plus I don't want a guy with a bum arm

Kelly probably didn't want to get traded and did what he had to do lol

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 10:37:58 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Also, if we get Love, then we have a year to move Sully and 2 years to move KO. With Love on board we are not going to want to pay those guys. Everyone would know that though so it may be hard to get a good return.

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 10:44:34 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
If Love comes here, patience would still be important.  See how he interacts with the core that's here first and then make some decisions on the rest of the roster.  You can't get locked into long term deals with vets without being reasonably certain that they'll click with Love and vice versa.

Re Asik etc, I don't want anyone here on a long term contract who can't make free throws.  If you're paying someone big money you want them on the court winning games for you late - not losing them because they can't make FT's and have to stay on the bench.

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 10:45:47 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Golden State needs to free up some cap space. Could Andre Iguodala be had for cheap? He certainly fits a need the Celtics have.