Author Topic: James Young=New AB?  (Read 8257 times)

Re: James Young=New AB?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 12:42:41 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
I'm a bit worried about Young's desire .

Bradley has always been a workaholic , gym rat ,  hungry to make it.

Not sure if Young has the work ethic....yet ......? :-X

Young's work ethic seems to be OK according to Stevens.

We had a 19-year-old this year in James Young, who we think is going to be a fantastic player, whose work ethic is good, who comes to the gym every day, who’s getting better -- and he didn’t always get that validation of how much better he’s getting by playing time. That’s a hard position to be in because you’re going through the mundaneness of everyday work and not getting the reward of playing time.

"Ultimately, over the course of time, [Young is] going to be ready, sooner rather than later."

Brad strikes me as someone who could never say something bad about somebody though, particularly to the media.

Another thing to keep in mind - prior to the 2014 draft, both Ainge and Stevens felt that Young was a top 12 talent in that draft. 

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 12:55:38 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

I think the issue is him not being fully integrated... understandable, considering how much he has missed due to the car accident on draft day.... but at least he was able to show you that he was offensively gifted... had he had more time to even care about those Red Claws he probably would've been locked in, but he was being shipped back and forth from the C's locker room to theirs so I don't blame him for not caring too much about that team...

You should.  There's no rationale for even the appearance that you're not involved.    He'd played 16 games previous to that with the Red Claws.  The majority of the teammates he played with during those previous games were there for all of them...Not to mention the coaching staff was the same.   The games on TV and online I saw reflected a slightly better effort....Slightly.   When he wants to be....He's an excellent rebounder for a 2-guard.  Since the initial comparison was with Bradley....He could use some mentoring from Bradley about effort...Especially defensively. 

He shouldn't need it.

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 01:07:57 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

I think the issue is him not being fully integrated... understandable, considering how much he has missed due to the car accident on draft day.... but at least he was able to show you that he was offensively gifted... had he had more time to even care about those Red Claws he probably would've been locked in, but he was being shipped back and forth from the C's locker room to theirs so I don't blame him for not caring too much about that team...

You should.  There's no rationale for even the appearance that you're not involved.    He'd played 16 games previous to that with the Red Claws.  The majority of the teammates he played with during those previous games were there for all of them...Not to mention the coaching staff was the same.   The games on TV and online I saw reflected a slightly better effort....Slightly.   When he wants to be....He's an excellent rebounder for a 2-guard.  Since the initial comparison was with Bradley....He could use some mentoring from Bradley about effort...Especially defensively. 

He shouldn't need it.

Well when you sign on to play for the NBA and you end up in the D-League, let me know how you take it... he handled it pretty well if he average those numbers up there in Maine.... from what I understand, given his short time there, he already became one of the D-League's top players.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 01:22:02 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

We had a 19-year-old this year in James Young, who we think is going to be a fantastic player, whose work ethic is good, who comes to the gym every day, who’s getting better -- and he didn’t always get that validation of how much better he’s getting by playing time. That’s a hard position to be in because you’re going through the mundaneness of everyday work and not getting the reward of playing time.

"Ultimately, over the course of time, [Young is] going to be ready, sooner rather than later."

Brad strikes me as someone who could never say something bad about somebody though, particularly to the media.

Another thing to keep in mind - prior to the 2014 draft, both Ainge and Stevens felt that Young was a top 12 talent in that draft.
I'm not sure even Wallace's comments were about his work ethic. To me he was talking about how Young failed to seize the opportunity when he was given minutes, not how hard he worked.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 02:05:01 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956

I'm not sure even Wallace's comments were about his work ethic. To me he was talking about how Young failed to seize the opportunity when he was given minutes, not how hard he worked.

All we can do is speculate.  But given that a 19 year old rookies typically aren't able to "seize opportunities" in real game situations,  it's not unreasonable to infer that Wallace was indeed questioning Young's work ethic at that point in time.

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It's also good to keep in mind that Wallace questioned just about everyone's work ethic at some point during the past two seasons.

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 03:01:06 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Anyone who thinks James Young is always going to suck really needs to not sit anywhere near me at games. He has a great shot, anyone who knows anything can tell he just needed some more minutes or some confidence to hit them in the NBA.

He scorched the D league and many coach's and gm's believe he has Klay Thompson potential. They understand how he was hurt before the draft, then summer league, training camp, pre season. Thats basically the kiss of death for most young rookies.

I trust Stevens to motivate and teach this kid what he needs to know. And then I expect JY to explode.

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2015, 03:14:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

All we can do is speculate.  But given that a 19 year old rookies typically aren't able to "seize opportunities" in real game situations,  it's not unreasonable to infer that Wallace was indeed questioning Young's work ethic at that point in time.
At the point and time that came out, wasn't it after the all star break when they tried to give him playing time but he got supplanted by Gigi?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
How much is James Young worth if he gives you the offense of Klay Thompson combined with the defense of Kevin Martin?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 03:50:55 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4719468/stevens-on-workouts-james-young-fred-hoiberg

Is this an important summer for young guys like James Young?

Stevens: "Everybody's got their own bullet points, four or five things. We've covered those at the exit meetings. If you put enough thought in to it at that time, then you can continue to focus on those throughout the course of the summer as you see those guys. But I think it's also a time where they've got to get the appropriate amount of rest, like most of them have been gone for the better part of the last month. We have a couple of guys here now, but a few that aren't and that's fine. And then the summer league will be a big thing for [Young]. Certainly for Marcus [Smart], too, but I think for James to really gain a lot of momentum heading into next year, I think the 20 days that we're together from practice to the last game are important."

Agree with Stevens as Summer League can be vital to his development and I really think he's gonna tear it up there with Marcus. Hope to see him at least with 10 lbs more added to his frame.

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This 19 yr old kid has had a similar trajectory as AB at the moment.

Think about it. Both guys were ranked high as high school players (top 10 for James and ESPN even ranked AB the #1 player). Both were very young freshmen played below their expectations during their first year in college, even though Young played better in the NCAA Tournament. Both guys slipped in the draft because of injuries and the C's took adavnatge of that as they were both considered as lottery players. Both guys were raw when drafted.Both missed Summer League and most of training camp. Both played 31 games in the season due to being out of the rotation for their rawness and injuries. Both struggled from the field and looked lost out there in the court. Both dominated in the Summer League.

However, the main difference is that James is more known for his offense than his defense while that was the opposite for AB. I can also say that Young has more upside than AB at that age as his size and length are elite for the shooting guard position and he's not undersized for the 3, he just has to bulk up while AB is a shooting guard trapped in a PG's body.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4719396/young-and-hungry

seriously?? Give him a few seasons before making a judgement

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 03:58:36 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
This 19 yr old kid has had a similar trajectory as AB at the moment.

Think about it. Both guys were ranked high as high school players (top 10 for James and ESPN even ranked AB the #1 player). Both were very young freshmen played below their expectations during their first year in college, even though Young played better in the NCAA Tournament. Both guys slipped in the draft because of injuries and the C's took adavnatge of that as they were both considered as lottery players. Both guys were raw when drafted.Both missed Summer League and most of training camp. Both played 31 games in the season due to being out of the rotation for their rawness and injuries. Both struggled from the field and looked lost out there in the court. Both dominated in the Summer League.

However, the main difference is that James is more known for his offense than his defense while that was the opposite for AB. I can also say that Young has more upside than AB at that age as his size and length are elite for the shooting guard position and he's not undersized for the 3, he just has to bulk up while AB is a shooting guard trapped in a PG's body.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4719396/young-and-hungry

seriously?? Give him a few seasons before making a judgement

I ain't saying that he's gonna be a stud 100% but he has, arguably, the highest potential on our team.

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
How much is James Young worth if he gives you the offense of Klay Thompson combined with the defense of Kevin Martin?

And this may well be his ceiling.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
dwight powell tore up d league from points scored rebounds and defense-young has to work on handles, has no right hand and is a novice on defense but he can shoot

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 06:07:43 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I thought this advice that Marcus Smart offered to James Young last week was all too telling:

Advice for fellow rookie James Young: "My advice would be to tell him, You've got to work harder than you've ever worked. This isn't college anymore. Guys are better than you or just as good as you and they're always gonna bring someone to replace you if you're not gonna do what you're supposed to do, so you've got to keep that in mind, that I could be gone at any given time because every year there's another batch of players coming in."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/05/29/marcus-smart-reflects-rookie-season/kJnU02QQImCSheLuGnIrlL/story.html#