Author Topic: James Young=New AB?  (Read 8275 times)

James Young=New AB?
« on: May 27, 2015, 06:01:42 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
This 19 yr old kid has had a similar trajectory as AB at the moment.

Think about it. Both guys were ranked high as high school players (top 10 for James and ESPN even ranked AB the #1 player). Both were very young freshmen played below their expectations during their first year in college, even though Young played better in the NCAA Tournament. Both guys slipped in the draft because of injuries and the C's took adavnatge of that as they were both considered as lottery players. Both guys were raw when drafted.Both missed Summer League and most of training camp. Both played 31 games in the season due to being out of the rotation for their rawness and injuries. Both struggled from the field and looked lost out there in the court. Both dominated in the Summer League.

However, the main difference is that James is more known for his offense than his defense while that was the opposite for AB. I can also say that Young has more upside than AB at that age as his size and length are elite for the shooting guard position and he's not undersized for the 3, he just has to bulk up while AB is a shooting guard trapped in a PG's body.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4719396/young-and-hungry

Re: James Young=New AB?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 06:28:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I'm a bit worried about Young's desire .

Bradley has always been a workaholic , gym rat ,  hungry to make it.

Not sure if Young has the work ethic....yet ......? :-X

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 06:37:17 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12

How would we know anything about his work ethic  ? 

This dude asked to play in the D League instead of sit on the bench, this preconceived notion of James Young lack of work ethic isn't based on anything.  He will get his like Avery did, the Celtics aren't giving up on Young, they are trying to develop him into a starter however they see fit. 

No doubt in my mind James Young would be starting on a team like the Timberwoves, but the Celtics don't operate like those teams. 

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 06:47:02 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
well he will be better. I think James is one of those players that can jump the progress Avery made in 3 seasons in just one year.

Even if James Young didn't improve or get stronger(basically impossible) when he gets his confidence he will be able to shoot from 3pt in the NBA and make a dif.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 06:47:31 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

This dude asked to play in the D League instead of sit on the bench, this preconceived notion of James Young lack of work ethic isn't based on anything.  He will get his like Avery did, the Celtics aren't giving up on Young, they are trying to develop him into a starter however they see fit. 

No doubt in my mind James Young would be starting on a team like the Timberwoves, but the Celtics don't operate like those teams.
James Young wouldn't even come close to starting on the timberwolves. Wiggins, Martin, and Muhammad are all much better than him.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 07:48:13 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White

James Young wouldn't even come close to starting on the timberwolves. Wiggins, Martin, and Muhammad are all much better than him.

Come on now,  you have Lavine starting for the Wolves.  Players improve with playing time just as Bradley did after his first season.

Shabazz Muhammad doesn't even have the upside of Lavine or Young, it's not about "better" as of right now for those Wolves.  Their whole approach is different as I stated.

In the span of time that Shabazz (sophmore) started all of his 13 games for the season,  Lavine already started in 23 of them, Lavine finishing with 40 for the season as a freshman.

It's a pretty obvious approach, let the young high upside guys play and grow, while filling out the rest of the lineup through the draft. 

It's not a secret that we don't follow this approach,  had James Young not been in a car accident he would of been drafted much earlier than 16. Had he gone to one of the Sixers, Wolves, Orlando, Lakers etc he'd have plenty of playtime time after recovering from his minor injuries.

My point is that we have no idea of what Young will be, but the way the Celtics are handling him has no bearing/indication of who he will be as a future player.

As far as Kevin Martin, lets just say they wish they could trade that guy for peanuts. That contract   :-X 

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 08:58:12 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Come on now,  you have Lavine starting for the Wolves.  Players improve with playing time just as Bradley did after his first season.

Shabazz Muhammad doesn't even have the upside of Lavine or Young, it's not about "better" as of right now for those Wolves.  Their whole approach is different as I stated.

In the span of time that Shabazz (sophmore) started all of his 13 games for the season,  Lavine already started in 23 of them, Lavine finishing with 40 for the season as a freshman.

It's a pretty obvious approach, let the young high upside guys play and grow, while filling out the rest of the lineup through the draft. 

It's not a secret that we don't follow this approach,  had James Young not been in a car accident he would of been drafted much earlier than 16. Had he gone to one of the Sixers, Wolves, Orlando, Lakers etc he'd have plenty of playtime time after recovering from his minor injuries.

My point is that we have no idea of what Young will be, but the way the Celtics are handling him has no bearing/indication of who he will be as a future player.

As far as Kevin Martin, lets just say they wish they could trade that guy for peanuts. That contract   :-X
Yes but Lavine only started because everybody got hurt. Martin, Mohammad, and Budinger all were hurt. If nobody got hurt, he would not have started or seen nearly as much minutes. So I'm guessing if AB, ET, and Crowder all got hurt and we were fighting for the number 1 pick, we would have been happy to give Young significant minutes.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 09:05:24 PM »

Offline farishmj16

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 0
there have been some concerns about his work ethic. Crash called him out on it mid season.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 09:31:36 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 08:46:34 AM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White

Yes but Lavine only started because everybody got hurt. Martin, Mohammad, and Budinger all were hurt. If nobody got hurt, he would not have started or seen nearly as much minutes. So I'm guessing if AB, ET, and Crowder all got hurt and we were fighting for the number 1 pick, we would have been happy to give Young significant minutes.

Flip was pimping the heck out of those injuries,  keeping guys who made it very clear they were ready to play, out longer much more than they needed.  Embiid was injured too, than a video comes out of him dunking and next thing you know it reports come out of a minor setback. That if you believe everything these teams put out.

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 11:26:06 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Young looked like a boy among men in the D-league.     Particularly defensively.  He's light-years away from contributing at any level.  Even a designated shooter has to play some defense.   He looks like he's going through the motions.  To say that he's had a similar trajectory to Bradley is absurd.  They're completely different players. 

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 11:31:34 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Wow, people are questioning this guy's work ethic like come on, son... if he isn't spending time working on his game he'll be doing himself a disservice. Only guys work ethic that has been questionable on this team has been Sullys... even though I love his game... he had lottery potential when we drafted him for a reason, now he's our leading rebounder in THAT body... imagine him bulked up and leaner?... keeper dude
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:40:45 AM by wdleehi »

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 11:40:09 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I don't see any basketball comparisons between AB and JY other than the fact the are skinny guards with a similar body frame.

Young should end up being the better NBA player. The league supports offense and James is a much much (MUCH) better offensive player than AB and he also fits the typical mode of a shooting guard whereas Bradley is undersized. ABs on ball defense is great but other than that he isn't much fun to watch due to his lack of ability in other areas. JY should have the more promising NBA career, however, stranger things have happened.

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 12:28:17 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Wow, people are questioning this guy's work ethic like come on, son... if he isn't spending time working on his game he'll be doing himself a disservice. Only guys work ethic that has been questionable on this team has been Sullys... even though I love his game... he had lottery potential when we drafted him for a reason, now he's our leading rebounder in THAT body... imagine him bulked up and leaner?... keeper dude

Sully is another strange comparison.  Sully came into the league with NBA skills and dropped because of his health concerns.  A fairer comparison for Young would be Gerald Green.  "Green" with both being the operative term.

Have you seen Young play in either the D-league or the NBA?  The D-league game I saw him play in....I was right behind the bench.    Young has a great stroke.  That was about all I could say that's positive.   We've had players on the C's roster who were clueless defensively...But at least they were making an effort.   Young just kind of glides up the court and runs to a spot offensively....Then kind of glides down the court and does little or nothing defensively. The biggest concern that I had was that during timeouts....If Young wasn't on the floor or going on the floor....He wasn't close to the huddle.  Wasn't involved at all.  The kid has a lot to learn. 

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 12:39:17 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

Sully is another strange comparison.  Sully came into the league with NBA skills and dropped because of his health concerns.  A fairer comparison for Young would be Gerald Green.  "Green" with both being the operative term.

Have you seen Young play in either the D-league or the NBA?  The D-league game I saw him play in....I was right behind the bench.    Young has a great stroke.  That was about all I could say that's positive.   We've had players on the C's roster who were clueless defensively...But at least they were making an effort.   Young just kind of glides up the court and runs to a spot offensively....Then kind of glides down the court and does little or nothing defensively. The biggest concern that I had was that during timeouts....If Young wasn't on the floor or going on the floor....He wasn't close to the huddle.  Wasn't involved at all.  The kid has a lot to learn.

I think the issue is him not being fully integrated... understandable, considering how much he has missed due to the car accident on draft day.... but at least he was able to show you that he was offensively gifted... had he had more time to even care about those Red Claws he probably would've been locked in, but he was being shipped back and forth from the C's locker room to theirs so I don't blame him for not caring too much about that team...