Author Topic: Rim Protection  (Read 6826 times)

Re: Rim Protection
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 04:52:28 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I started this thread as a what if plans A B and C fell through type of thread, yet all it did was fall back to an Upshaw discussion, which I am fine with.

What do you guys believe a legitimate best case scenario is in regards to Upshaw? Obviously he won't be a 20/12/3 kinda guy, but assuming he stays clean how do you see him fitting in with BS system? I saw one of his workout videos mention he was working on his shooting (don't draft him off that alone), but is that enough for the spacing BS adores?

Let's see, he's not lightning quick on his feet, so switching defenders will not be his forte... he'll most likely run straight down to the restricted area and contest the shot, if any player is cutting... which with his long arms, height and quick vertical leap, he'll give us a better chance at preventing the score than let's say... the rest of this team.

He was flashing a shooting touch during his workout, so maybe a mid-range game would not be out of the question, on a quick pick and pop...

he could finish lobs and do the clean-up duty... I think at the worst he'll be a 5 pts 7 rbs and 1 block a game player in his first year.
I think Upshaw can be what Roy Hibbert should have been. He has trimmed out but still has work to go with quickness and his shot is getting better. I think he can have an impactful year with us.

Best case scenario: We trade for the 10th pick and select Turner and then draft Upshaw. Then next year we draft someone like Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram.

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 05:28:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I started this thread as a what if plans A B and C fell through type of thread, yet all it did was fall back to an Upshaw discussion, which I am fine with.

What do you guys believe a legitimate best case scenario is in regards to Upshaw? Obviously he won't be a 20/12/3 kinda guy, but assuming he stays clean how do you see him fitting in with BS system? I saw one of his workout videos mention he was working on his shooting (don't draft him off that alone), but is that enough for the spacing BS adores?

Let's see, he's not lightning quick on his feet, so switching defenders will not be his forte... he'll most likely run straight down to the restricted area and contest the shot, if any player is cutting... which with his long arms, height and quick vertical leap, he'll give us a better chance at preventing the score than let's say... the rest of this team.

He was flashing a shooting touch during his workout, so maybe a mid-range game would not be out of the question, on a quick pick and pop...

he could finish lobs and do the clean-up duty... I think at the worst he'll be a 5 pts 7 rbs and 1 block a game player in his first year.
I think Upshaw can be what Roy Hibbert should have been. He has trimmed out but still has work to go with quickness and his shot is getting better. I think he can have an impactful year with us.

Best case scenario: We trade for the 10th pick and select Turner and then draft Upshaw. Then next year we draft someone like Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram.

i really don't think Turner is worth trading up for. He is definitely a project and some mocks have him going anywhere from 10-16th.

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 05:30:31 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

What Roy Hibbert should have been? What, the anchor for a league-leading defense wasn't good enough?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 05:36:51 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

Man, Upshaw got something Hibbert doesn't and that's game! Haha

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 02:43:55 PM »

Offline Soytiz

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Nerlens Noel is an option worth considering. Would Philly be willing to give him up for say Oly/Sully, James Young and one of the team's Nets picks? Would the Celtics pull the trigger on that trade?

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 02:46:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Nerlens Noel is an option worth considering. Would Philly be willing to give him up for say Oly/Sully, James Young and one of the team's Nets picks? Would the Celtics pull the trigger on that trade?

I would.

Nerlens is legit and he's more than just a rim protector. And the fact that he can slide to either big man position will make me non hesitant to do that deal. 
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 02:52:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
why would philly do such a trade?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 03:14:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Get WCS and Mickey from the draft

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »

Offline Soytiz

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
It's quite hard deciphering what Sam Hinkie's plans are for the Sixers but considering the fact that he just traded MCW and KJMc for picks, one could guess that he is stockpiling picks ala Ainge. With the trade posted above, Philly receives Oly and James Young along with one of the Nets picks the C's have. I think that is compelling enough specially when you have a healthy Embiid as your inside presence and your offense predicated on producing open jump (perimeter) shots. Oly fits nicely in that system...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:53:44 PM by Soytiz »

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 03:33:12 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I thought you wanted Kaminsky?

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 04:11:29 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Man, Upshaw got something Hibbert doesn't and that's game! Haha
tp. Myles Turner with Upshaw is a great young front court .

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 04:18:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's quite hard deciphering what Sam Hinkie's plans are for the Sixers but considering the fact that he just traded MCW and KJMc for picks, one could guess that he is stockpiling picks ala Ainge. With the trade posted above, Philly receives Oly and James Young along with one of the Nets picks the C's have. I think that is compelling enough specially when you have a healthy Embiid as your inside presence and your offense predicated on producing open jump (perimeter) shots. Oly fits nicely in that system...
We aren't getting Nerlens.  That's not happening.  People keep bringing it up, because they misunderstand what Hinkie is doing. 

MCW was traded, because they viewed him as an overrated player putting up inflated inefficient stats on a tanking team.  They wanted to sell high before he got exposed like Rondo or better talent forced him to the bench (similar to Trey Burke losing his starting role).  They also figured they'd get a better guard in the draft... and they probably will.  DeAngelo Russell looks like a great fit.

Nerlens, on the other hand, is already a top 10 defensive player in this league.  He's a cornerstone piece.  We theoretically could have put together a compelling offer built around Marcus Smart + #16 + #28 had the 76ers landed Okafor or Townes through this draft, but even then it's not clear that they would have traded one of their potential franchise centers for a pu-pu-platter of lesser talent when they pretty easily could just trade one for an all-star caliber at a position of need (I always use Derozan as an example... no rebuilding team would pass up trading a fringe star like Derozan for a potential franchise big man).   

At this point, aint happening.   Noel and Embiid will be fine together.  If needed, they can flip one for a star prospect at another position.  That definitely isn't Olynyk.

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2015, 04:49:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I do. But Danny and CBS are not targeting him. 

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 04:51:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The more immediate need we have is a rim protection/above the rim players 

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 05:13:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

The more immediate need we have is a rim protection/above the rim players

You know that is exactly the reason I was telling you I wouldn't take him and you refused to listen. I'm glad my thoughts were able to sway you.  ;)