Author Topic: Rim Protection  (Read 6824 times)

Rim Protection
« on: May 27, 2015, 04:38:02 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Everybody knows the current names floating around for rim protection. Lets for a second assume we cannot trade up for WCS, we whiff on trading up for Turner, and we either don't trade up (slightly) for Upshaw, or someone reaches on him. Also, we are unable to get any of the big name FA big men (aka Jordan). What options are we left with?

I think a low risk, high reward option could be Festus Ezeli. After hearing Jeff van Gundy rave about the guy during Tuesday nights Warriors/Rockets game, I did a little digging. He is a 25 year old 6'11.5" center with a 7' 5.75" wingspan. He also happens to weigh 265 pounds, but you could never tell that by watching the way the guy runs and jumps (33" vert isn't bad at all for his size). He also seems to have above average footwork (in a league where most bigs are atrocious). His career statistics are misleading because he has spent most of his career either dealing with an injury (missed one season because of a knee) or being buried behind Bogut, but he seems to make the most out of the minutes he gets.

Contract wise he is locked up until the 16/17 season, where he maxes out at 3M. I obviously don't know what it would take to pry him away from the warriors, but given his career stats and the fact that he missed one season out of his three as a pro; he shouldn't require that much to get.

Anyway first post on the forum, and was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this guy and/or had any thoughts on the matter.
#JKJB

Re: Rim Protection
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 04:48:56 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
well that wuld make this whole year pointless. It would also make me hate the green teamrs that much more.

But I think the odds are ok that we can trade with MIA or INDY and get Turner and then draft Upshaw with 16.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 04:51:39 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
With an even more injury prone center in front of him, I doubt the Warriors get rid of him, especially if they get rid of Lee.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 05:00:58 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
well that wuld make this whole year pointless. It would also make me hate the green teamrs that much more.

But I think the odds are ok that we can trade with MIA or INDY and get Turner and then draft Upshaw with 16.

I get where you are coming from. I am just starting to get that sinking feeling in regards to rim protectors from the draft and our ability to acquire them. Like people have always mentioned, it takes two partners to move up in the draft. WCS might take too many assets (and he is going in the same draft range as potential two way wings, namely Winslow, Hezonja and Stanley) to move up for. I could also see Turner moving up a bit from the 10-12 range since his mobility problems may be correctable.

I would also take Upshaw at 16, even if we didn't trade for another pick before that. If we left this draft with Upshaw, I would be ecstatic, yet we don't know what Danny knows. Maybe the red flags are too much and he gambles that Upshaw will be there at 28. At 16, Upshaw has the ridiculous size (standing reach is supposedly the same as Shaq's), slight mobility and upside that a team like the Celtics need to gamble on.
#JKJB

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 05:07:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I get where you are coming from. I am just starting to get that sinking feeling in regards to rim protectors from the draft and our ability to acquire them. Like people have always mentioned, it takes two partners to move up in the draft. WCS might take too many assets (and he is going in the same draft range as potential two way wings, namely Winslow, Hezonja and Stanley) to move up for. I could also see Turner moving up a bit from the 10-12 range since his mobility problems may be correctable.

I would also take Upshaw at 16, even if we didn't trade for another pick before that. If we left this draft with Upshaw, I would be ecstatic, yet we don't know what Danny knows. Maybe the red flags are too much and he gambles that Upshaw will be there at 28. At 16, Upshaw has the ridiculous size (standing reach is supposedly the same as Shaq's), slight mobility and upside that a team like the Celtics need to gamble on.
Its hard to make a decision like that on Upshaw without having the insider info I assume coaches have. I mean when you are a star D-1 athlete it takes some doing to get kicked out of 2 programs.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 05:12:03 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I've been a fan of Ezeli ever since the Warriors had that great record to start the season with Ezeli starting (his first or second year).  Don't know what his ceiling is but I'd love to trade for him
providing it didn't take a whole lot.  Also interested in Biyombo for a similar role.  I mean one
or the other not both.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 05:23:38 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Well...He does have the "gold standard" 9'5'' standing reach, which is the same as Shaqs. Also There are some reports that Upshaw has a 7'7'' wingspan, even though he was tested as 7'5.5''. That would make him Shaq's length....unofficially.

He dunks very quick. Usually has the ball through the rim before the other players are able to meet him up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7mslxOn4w

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 08:42:10 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Well...He does have the "gold standard" 9'5'' standing reach, which is the same as Shaqs. Also There are some reports that Upshaw has a 7'7'' wingspan, even though he was tested as 7'5.5''. That would make him Shaq's length....unofficially.

He dunks very quick. Usually has the ball through the rim before the other players are able to meet him up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7mslxOn4w

TP for the video. 

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 11:32:31 AM »

• Jim Loscutoff
I started this thread as a what if plans A B and C fell through type of thread, yet all it did was fall back to an Upshaw discussion, which I am fine with.

What do you guys believe a legitimate best case scenario is in regards to Upshaw? Obviously he won't be a 20/12/3 kinda guy, but assuming he stays clean how do you see him fitting in with BS system? I saw one of his workout videos mention he was working on his shooting (don't draft him off that alone), but is that enough for the spacing BS adores?

#JKJB

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 11:42:39 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I started this thread as a what if plans A B and C fell through type of thread, yet all it did was fall back to an Upshaw discussion, which I am fine with.

What do you guys believe a legitimate best case scenario is in regards to Upshaw? Obviously he won't be a 20/12/3 kinda guy, but assuming he stays clean how do you see him fitting in with BS system? I saw one of his workout videos mention he was working on his shooting (don't draft him off that alone), but is that enough for the spacing BS adores?

Let's see, he's not lightning quick on his feet, so switching defenders will not be his forte... he'll most likely run straight down to the restricted area and contest the shot, if any player is cutting... which with his long arms, height and quick vertical leap, he'll give us a better chance at preventing the score than let's say... the rest of this team.

He was flashing a shooting touch during his workout, so maybe a mid-range game would not be out of the question, on a quick pick and pop...

he could finish lobs and do the clean-up duty... I think at the worst he'll be a 5 pts 7 rbs and 1 block a game player in his first year.

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 11:45:11 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Ezeli is better than anyone we could draft, but there's no way the Warriors are making him available for a price we should be looking to pay.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 03:07:31 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
With an even more injury prone center in front of him, I doubt the Warriors get rid of him, especially if they get rid of Lee.
They may give him to us with Lee for a year at the right price. They will need money for signing green. With the way they can go small with Green and Having marcus speights. It is a good thought.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 03:11:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I could see the Warriors giving up Ezeli if they like Zeller more and want him in return as part of the deal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »

• Jim Loscutoff
My main problem with Ezeli is a lack of upside. Obviously he hasn't really been given much of a chance, yet even given a chance he doesn't appear to be a building block for the future (in my humble opinion.) I wouldn't mind giving the guy a shot, but not at the expense of someone who has a larger upside. At this stage in the Celtics rebuild, I don't see it as a necessity to go balls to the wall for contention, if it sacrifices our long term potential dominance. The playoffs were nice, yet I think we are still so many pieces away from competing with the top of the East (don't get me started on the West), or the up and coming teams in the East like the Bucks or Philly (assuming a core of Embiid, Noel, Saric and Russell that works together and they magically forget their losing culture.)

Which center prospect (or rim protector) that the Celtics have a shot of getting do you guys see as having the largest upside? I understand WCS will be the most ready to come in and be the defensive savior, but I see his offensive game being something like Tyson Chandler (at best). So I guess that leaves Turner and Upshaw. Which do you see as having the larger ceiling and why?

I feel like in our system Turner could have the higher upside because of his shooting, but I think Upshaw could be an absolute beast if he doesn't relapse. That kinda length doesn't come around often, he appears willing to attack the rim with reckless abandon, and while no one would consider him a mobile center, he is very fluid for his size.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:30:40 PM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Positively thinking, I really do not see a scenario where we do not upgrade the 5 spot.

There are a bunch of unrestricted centers in free agency. Even if we miss on the top ones, I'd still be satisfied with Robin Lopez or Koufus. For what's worth, even Brandan Wrigth is unrestricted and will be a rim protecting upgrade.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."