Author Topic: Jared Dudley: "I would be surprised if Kevin Love goes to the Lakers"  (Read 19407 times)

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
If the Lakers have Kobe and Love as the core for next year, they only need to add one really good, semi-top FA and they will be right in the hunt, every bit as much as Cleveland.  Love would have to decide whether he wants to chase a ring or go to a perennially top franchise and ride out a likely dip after Kobe retires.

Moving forward, the Lakers would have Love and whoever is the other FA they sign (Rondo?, Butler?) plus a pretty good cadre of young players (Randle, Towns, Clarkson) and once Kobe is gone, they can sign another FA.  I don't think the dip is going to last very long for the Lakers.

My conclusion is that I disagree with Jared Dudley.  I would not be the least bit surprised if Love goes to the Lakers.  I would be far more surprised if he came to the Celtics.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
If the Lakers have Kobe and Love as the core for next year, they only need to add one really good, semi-top FA and they will be right in the hunt, every bit as much as Cleveland.  Love would have to decide whether he wants to chase a ring or go to a perennially top franchise and ride out a likely dip after Kobe retires.

Moving forward, the Lakers would have Love and whoever is the other FA they sign (Rondo?, Butler?) plus a pretty good cadre of young players (Randle, Towns, Clarkson) and once Kobe is gone, they can sign another FA.  I don't think the dip is going to last very long for the Lakers.

My conclusion is that I disagree with Jared Dudley.  I would not be the least bit surprised if Love goes to the Lakers.  I would be far more surprised if he came to the Celtics.
Kobe has played 41total games the last 2 years, is a 37 yr old ball hog who shot 37% from the field last year .

You are living in lala land...

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
If I were Mitch K and wanted a "last hurrah" opportunity for Kobe, I'd strongly consider trading the #2 for a strong piece or two (Bulls example if Chicago wants to regroup: Noah and Gasol for #2, Young and Hill -- LA can absorb the salary differential).    They'd still have cap room for a top tier FA and would be able to make a real run.  I am sure LA would love to have Okafur, but face it, the Lakers can rebuild faster than any team as they only need to open cap space and eventually they'll get their guys anyway.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Here's the thing with the Lakers...  They have like 30 mil in cap space.   They could free up another 5 mil if they dump Nick Young.  They could theoretically add both Kevin Love and Rondo, if they still actually want Rondo.

That gives them Rondo, Jordan Clarkson (who just finished all rookie 1st team over Marcus Smart), Julius Randle, Kevin Love and Okafor.   I mean... it wouldn't be too hard for them to trade Randle for a quality forward if they want.  I said in another thread they could probably move Randle + Clarkson for Derozan fairly easily if they wanted a scoring forward.  Yeah, the defense on that team would be questionable, but whatever...

Here's my point.  Say they cap out the salary this year.    Kobe falls off the books at the end of the season... the cap jumps 20 mil.   That means they'll have about 40 mil in cap space to add talent around Rondo, Clarkson, Randle, Love and Okafor...   Ooof.  They can replace Kobe with two max contract players.  Then Kobe prob comes back mid-season for the vet min anyways, because he'll be bored and want attention.

The year after... cap jumps another 20 mil... you got yourself Rondo, Clarkson, Randle, Love, Okafor, Max Contract 1, Max Contract 2... and now you can add Max Contract 3. 

Getting talent this summer is crucial.   The cap is going to jump next season and Boston will be competing with every team in the league in the free agent market.  Usually talent attracts other talent.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Here's the thing with the Lakers...  They have like 30 mil in cap space.   They could free up another 5 mil if they dump Nick Young.  They could theoretically add both Kevin Love and Rondo, if they still actually want Rondo.

That gives them Rondo, Jordan Clarkson (who just finished all rookie 1st team over Marcus Smart who just finished 6th in the rookie of the year voting behind 4th place marcus smart and 5th place Joseph Nurkic with 3 total points from all voters), Julius Randle, Kevin Love and Okafor.   I mean... it wouldn't be too hard for them to trade Randle for a quality forward if they want.  I said in another thread they could probably move Randle + Clarkson for Derozan fairly easily if they wanted a scoring forward.  Yeah, the defense on that team would be questionable, but whatever...

Here's my point.  Say they cap out the salary this year.    Kobe falls off the books at the end of the season... the cap jumps 20 mil.   That means they'll have about 40 mil in cap space to add talent around Rondo, Clarkson, Randle, Love and Okafor...   Ooof.  They can replace Kobe with two max contract players.  Then Kobe prob comes back mid-season for the vet min anyways, because he'll be bored and want attention.

The year after... cap jumps another 20 mil... you got yourself Rondo, Clarkson, Randle, Love, Okafor, Max Contract 1, Max Contract 2... and now you can add Max Contract 3. 

Getting talent this summer is crucial.   The cap is going to jump next season and Boston will be competing with every team in the league in the free agent market.  Usually talent attracts other talent.

Fixed it for ya

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
?
Most guys don?t want to play with Kobe. He gets in this thing where he doesn?t pass and then overpasses and then trying to get triple doubles every night, so we know you have it?

?That?s why I think it will be a while for the Lakers to get good because they?ve got no stars. I would be surprised if (Kevin) Love goes there.
?

This is why I think the c's have a better shot at landing Love than LA does. Yea sure Kobe will be gone soon, but they don't have any other established players. The c's don't have a star either but have just as much cap room and more assets to get star players here IMO. Plus the fact that Love seems to enjoy the city having visited here last summer and taking in the scenes by himself during the playoffs this year .

If we can get a rim protector (Jordan,gasol,wcs) Love would fit in perfectly in Brad Stevens system, which love has complemented more than once .

Plus his good buddy IT will be recruiting him hard

I love how this flies in the face of everyone who for some strange reason were so sure Love was going to the Lakers.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

That gives them Rondo, Jordan Clarkson (who just finished all rookie 1st team over Marcus Smart who just finished 6th in the rookie of the year voting behind 4th place marcus smart and 5th place Joseph Nurkic with 3 total points from all voters), Julius Randle, Kevin Love and Okafor.   I mean... it wouldn't be too hard for them to trade Randle for a quality forward if they want.  I said in another thread they could probably move Randle + Clarkson for Derozan fairly easily if they wanted a scoring forward.  Yeah, the defense on that team would be questionable, but whatever...

Fixed it for ya
Funny.

Neither of them received a single vote for Rookie of the year... so it's a pretty irrelevant bit of info, aint it?   Whereas 74 people voted Clarkson All-Rookie 1st team and 28 voted Smart... so no need to fix it... Clarkson was all rookie 1st team.  Smart was all Rookie 2nd team.

Clarkson has trade value.  I imagine Clarkson + Randle has considerable trade value.  Almost like trading two Marcus Smarts.  Lol jk

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:36:02 PM by LarBrd33 »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A guy who wants to join the Lakers only has to deal with Kobe for one season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Fixed it for ya
Funny.

Neither of them received a single vote for Rookie of the year... so it's a pretty irrelevant bit of info, aint it?   Whereas 74 people voted Clarkson All-Rookie 1st team and 28 voted Smart... so no need to fix it... Clarkson was all rookie 1st team.  Smart was all Rookie 2nd team.

Clarkson has trade value.  I imagine Clarkson + Randle has considerable trade value.  Almost like trading two Marcus Smarts.  Lol jk

I think you're still in the undecided phase of what team you're going to end up rooting for. It's a close call between Philly and LAL, huh? However, the monkey wrench is Minny. This could end up being a 3 team race for your loyalty.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Fixed it for ya
Funny.

I think you're still in the undecided phase of what team you're going to end up rooting for. It's a close call between Philly and LAL, huh? However, the monkey wrench is Minny. This could end up being a 3 team race for your loyalty.

I'll stand up for LARBRD and say he definitely is a C's fan, although sometimes gets into saying bizarre things to be pessimistic or contrarian and does have a particular fascination with a few 76er players.

For me as a celtics fan, Smart finished ahead of Clarkson in rookie of the year voting and behind him in the all rookie team voting. The rookie teams are voted for by coaches while the roy is voted for my sports writers. You could pick either of them as a valid metric to argue over a rookie's value. As Celtics fans you would think that we would naturally mention the metric that supports our player. However, in this particular instance I think Larbrd was actually trolling cause not only did he mention the metric Clarkson finished better in, he also had to point out that he finished ahead of smart in a conversation where nobody was talking about smart. That is why I called him out.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Fixed it for ya
Funny.

2011 NBA rookies
1st team Gary Neal.  2nd team Paul George.

2010 NBA rookies
1st team Brandon Jennings.  2nd team James Harden.

2009 NBA rookies
1st team Michael Beasley.  2nd team Kevin Love and Marc Gasol.

Mike

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Fixed it for ya
Funny.

I'm a Celtic fan who doesn't ignore facts.  Seems from the all rookie voting, one can come to the conclusion that Jordan Clarkson, at least in the eyes of "a panel of sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada" had a better rookie season than Marcus Smart.   Take that to mean what you will... and how it relates to the widespread opinion of Jordan Clarkson's trade value... which was what I was addressing.   I used Smart for context since I understand that most diehard Celtic fans have trouble seeing through the green haze and determining value of players who they don't watch daily.   NBA Gm's may disagree... but seems when a "panel of sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada" were polled, 74 voted Clarkson All-Rookie 1st team... 28 voted Smart all-rookie 1st team.   So yeah... nice piece to the Lakers puzzle right there.   

There's noting "bizarre" about my opinion.  If anything, feel free to call the majority opinion of "panel of sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada", bizarre.  Take up your grievances with them... not me.   I can't be defined as "contrarian" when I'm relaying a majority opinion. 

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Fixed it for ya
Funny.

2011 NBA rookies

2010 NBA rookies

2009 NBA rookies

Mike

Yes the all Rookie teams have had a lot of duds. Landry field made it first team over a bunch of guys that became perennial all stars. Clarkson was on national tv for like 30 games compared to 2 for Smart. I personally think that played a big role in Clarkson making all rookie first team. If you look at the all rookie-teams it seems like the biggest market clubs are overrepresented. The Knicks have somehow had 3 all rookie first team members and one second all team member in the last 5 years.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Fixed it for ya
Funny.

2011 NBA rookies

2010 NBA rookies

2009 NBA rookies

Mike
Would it be outlandish to say that Gary Neal had trade value in 2011?  Would it be crazy to say Brnadon Jennings had trade value in 2010?   Would it be an act of nuttery to say Michael Beasley had trade value in 2009?

'Course not.  Proof:  Half this forum wanted to trade Rondo for Brandon Jennings in 2009.  They saw him as a future superstar.  I'd dig up the thread for proof (I was one of the few skeptics throwing ice on it and comparing him to DaJuan Wagner), but I think clay has already shamed me enough for bumping my "i told you so" posts.

Point is... if the Lakers go out and add Love and Rondo (who I'd guess they still have some interest in), they can probably get something out of Clarkson and/or Randle.  They have some pieces in place.   I could see Love signing there.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Fixed it for ya
Funny.

2011 NBA rookies

2010 NBA rookies

2009 NBA rookies

Mike
Would it be outlandish to say that Gary Neal had trade value in 2011?  Would it be crazy to say Brnadon Jennings had trade value in 2010?   Would it be an act of nuttery to say Michael Beasley had trade value in 2009?

'Course not.  Proof:  Half this forum wanted to trade Rondo for Brandon Jennings in 2009.  They saw him as a future superstar.  I'd dig up the thread for proof (I was one of the few skeptics throwing ice on it and comparing him to DaJuan Wagner), but I think clay has already shamed me enough for bumping my "i told you so" posts.

I couldn't remember a single thing that I posted about this on forum in 2009, let alone what side of a specific argument I was on. You should really put these skills to some more beneficial use.