Author Topic: 2015 NBA Draft Thread  (Read 131081 times)

Re: 2015 NBA Draft Thread
« Reply #720 on: June 26, 2015, 12:20:48 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Well there you go Upshaw goes undrafted. Must be serious cocaine issues which caused his heart problems, or he works for ISIS.

« Reply #721 on: June 26, 2015, 12:21:47 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think Upshaw not getting drafted should be the final piece of evidence that his problems really were as serious as reports mentioned, and not merely draft smokescreen.

Most surprised about Cliff Alexander not getting drafted of all the top names to miss out.

« Reply #722 on: June 26, 2015, 12:26:01 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
well, let's see who the celtics bring to camp. maybe upshaw will get an invite.

oh, and a final note, who was the poster who kept swearing up and down that if the celtics did not take upshaw at 16, he would be gone? guess he was off the mark a bit on this one.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #723 on: June 26, 2015, 12:26:14 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think Upshaw not getting drafted should be the final piece of evidence that his problems really were as serious as reports mentioned, and not merely draft smokescreen.

Most surprised about Cliff Alexander not getting drafted of all the top names to miss out.

surprised about Alexander also.  He will get an invite to play in the summer league.  So will Wood.

Alexander went from being one of the top ranked hs players to going undrafted a year later. Kind of a sad story

« Reply #724 on: June 26, 2015, 12:30:48 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
well, let's see who the celtics bring to camp. maybe upshaw will get an invite.

oh, and a final note, who was the poster who kept swearing up and down that if the celtics did not take upshaw at 16, he would be gone? guess he was off the mark a bit on this one.

That would be Yoki.  Future Celtics Owner was also on board with that idea, but Yoki led the charge.

« Reply #725 on: June 26, 2015, 12:36:06 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
complete draft fail sans hunter.  Here's to another year of mediocrity!

« Reply #726 on: June 26, 2015, 06:14:23 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I love Chicago getting Bobby Portis at 22. That is a great pick for them. Shades of Jimmy Butler as dependable college guy turning into high quality pro over time.

Pity they are already loaded at PF with Pau Gasol, Taj Gibson and Nikola Mirotic. I'd love to see Chicago move on from Taj Gibson and maybe Pau Gasol as well.

PG: D-Rose
SG: J.Butler
SF: (major need)
PF: Mirotic, Portis
 C: Noah

Bring in a high quality SF who can score a bit and that is an impressive new look Bulls team. A lot more quickness on the floor. They became too slow-footed last season with Pau Gasol in the lineup, with D-Rose returning from injury and old guards like Hinrich. Improving team speed should be a priority for them.

I think moving away from the Noah-Pau dynamic will be important to them fixing their defense and opening up their offense. I'd chose Noah over Pau. Younger & better defensively. Noah has been the single largest factor in creating that team's identity over last few years. Rare to have players who can do that.

« Reply #727 on: June 27, 2015, 01:26:30 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Well there you go Upshaw goes undrafted. Must be serious cocaine issues which caused his heart problems, or he works for ISIS.
I still can't believe that people in here legitimately wanted to draft this guy at 16 because of "potential." Him going undrafted says a lot.

« Reply #728 on: February 15, 2016, 01:40:55 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
This is a really interesting article on Porzingis, but I think it highlights how much better the Spanish League training staffs have gotten.  Here is one of the more notable parts:

Rocky Jarana: “We were first approached about possibly signing Kristaps Porzingis by Salva Mendez, who works for U1st agency these days. We gave him a tryout in Seville in May/June 2010. He was roughly 6-foot-7 and super skinny. We saw he was super coordinated for his size and at the same time was far away from full maturation from a physical standpoint. It looked like he had to grow a lot more. We took a gamble on him. When he returned for preseason three months later, he was 6-foot-9 already, but still super skinny. He weighed around 150 pounds. It was a mess.”

He was a quick learner. I worked with him on his point guard skills and we fixed his shooting mechanic, which was a little off. He was very coachable and made quick progress from a technical standpoint. The big problem was his lack of stamina and strength. He would take 15 shots in a row and we had to stop because his shoulder couldn’t take it. It was like that his first three months with us and we had no idea what was going on. I really got upset with him once, asking him how in the world was it possible that he couldn’t take 15 shots in a row and keep going. I told him I just couldn’t believe it and he started crying.

Eventually we put him through some tests and our nutritionist found out he was dealing with anemia due to an enzyme deficiency. He underwent treatment and in one month it was like night and day. Both his body and his character changed. He went from being a shy kid who stayed away from people to becoming a jokester and one of the guys.”

It must be so Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.n hard to scout these guys, but at least with Porzingis, you had a full year of decent play.  I don't know how you scout Bender, because he's just so young. 

« Reply #729 on: March 10, 2016, 05:30:24 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I don't know if anyone has mentioned Ben Bentil of the Providence College Friars. He's a Soph. 6-9 235, and very much over shadowed by potential top 5 pick Chris Dunn.

I've seen the friars twice this year live, and a handful of times on TV and it was Bentil that got my attention. Bentil is leading the Big East in scoring by half dozen points. He's physical, and rebounds well, and his game is really expanding beyond the 3 point line.

I don't know if he's coming out this year, or where he be ranked...but the kids real good.

« Reply #730 on: March 10, 2016, 06:01:22 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I don't know if anyone has mentioned Ben Bentil of the Providence College Friars. He's a Soph. 6-9 235, and very much over shadowed by potential top 5 pick Chris Dunn.

I've seen the friars twice this year live, and a handful of times on TV and it was Bentil that got my attention. Bentil is leading the Big East in scoring by half dozen points. He's physical, and rebounds well, and his game is really expanding beyond the 3 point line.

I don't know if he's coming out this year, or where he be ranked...but the kids real good.

This is the thread for last year's draft, so no one would have mentioned him.

« Reply #731 on: April 09, 2016, 06:23:49 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Maybe it's time for a stickied 2016 NBA Draft Thread?

« Reply #732 on: April 09, 2016, 07:32:19 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Maybe it's time for a stickied 2016 NBA Draft Thread?

Once the draft order is finalized, I start putting it together.  Hence, the draft board,  It's like a game day thread, though and won't get unlocked until draft day.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team