Author Topic: Have the Cavs had it too easy in the playoffs?  (Read 5255 times)

Have the Cavs had it too easy in the playoffs?
« on: May 27, 2015, 01:20:19 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Looking at the Cavs sweeps and limited number of competitive games, I wonder if people think this could count against them in the Finals? I know if I was coaching them I would be feeling great that they have come through so easily though weakened by injury. There is a belief in most sports though that to go for a spell without being pushed results in teams taking their foot off the accelerator, slowing down in their reactions to play and generally not operating at their optimum.

Professionals shouldn't let it happen, but it does. Will Cleveland be slow out of the box? I think they will be and could go a game or two down early in the series.

Re: Have the Cavs had it too easy in the playoffs?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 01:28:16 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Nah. The Cavs are playing at a high level relative to their talent.

About as well as they are capable of playing. They aren't slacking or taking plays off. There is no lack of effort or focus. They are giving it everything they have. They are playing together as a unit on both ends of the floor.

They don't have another gear they can go to. They are maxing out their talent. They are playing at their highest level and this is exactly how you (if you were a Cavs fan) you would want them playing heading into the Finals. In form and full of confidence.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 01:45:54 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
As a GS fan, concerned Cavs improved to such an extent that the series became a pick'em.. and after Curry's injury, I think they're now the favorites. You don't sustain a head injury like his without a concussion, and those symptoms do not subside for 7 days, at best.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 02:24:39 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Well, it may have been a different outcome if the officials didn't give Cleveland game 3 by ejecting Al Horford in the second half for falling on a guy...

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 02:53:19 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
They had a nice relaxing tune-up in Round 1, but the Bulls and Hawks were no slouches.  Cavs went 34-9 to finish the season... that's a 65 win pace.  They've been really good for a while.  Injuries to Love and Kyrie made this a challenge... I'm rather surprised how quickly they dispatched a 60 win Hawks team.   

5 ESPN "Experts" picked the Bulls to beat them
5 ESPN "Experts" picked the Hawks to beat them.

Nobody expected them to sweep the Hawks.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:00:47 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 03:12:30 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
They had a nice relaxing tune-up in Round 1, but the Bulls and Hawks were no slouches.  Cavs went 34-9 to finish the season... that's a 65 win pace.  They've been really good for a while.  Injuries to Love and Kyrie made this a challenge... I'm rather surprised how quickly they dispatched a 60 win Hawks team.   

And most certainly nobody expected them to beat the Hawks easier than the "relaxing tune-up".
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 03:43:20 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

And most certainly nobody expected them to beat the Hawks easier than the "relaxing tune-up".
They definitely had more focus vs the Hawks...  against Boston they would fall asleep and take naps out of boredom for half the game, but that's a darn fine point you bring up.  Celtics should use that in recruiting pitches.  "We played the Cavs closer than the Hawks!  Come join us!"

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 06:30:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I still,say the most worn tire and frustrated looked so,far in the playoffs was the last two Celtic games

.    He was flopped like a dead fish on the bench the last quarters of those games.  His expression was one of exhaustion , not boredom .    He barely had energy for game interviews.

The Celtic youth was hard on him..

Bulls game fell right into his lap.....

James has engaged his overdrive energy , his ability to play full out when most of the other team is dragging.  He still has the next gear available .....he can not go full turbo like he could 10 years ago 82 games .  But he can for play off series .  That was his goal , get there and then do his thing.

I still say the Spurs were best suited to beat James .

Maybe the Warriors can win .......but IMO. The game is in the hands of the refs ......they will determine who wins.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:35:51 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 06:43:40 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
yes they've had it easy. it's amazing how the stars have aligned for the Cavs....almost too amazing.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 08:08:57 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I still,say the most worn tire and frustrated looked so,far in the playoffs was the last two Celtic games

.    He was flopped like a dead fish on the bench the last quarters of those games.  His expression was one of exhaustion , not boredom .    He barely had energy for game interviews.

The Celtic youth was hard on him..

Bulls game fell right into his lap.....

James has engaged his overdrive energy , his ability to play full out when most of the other team is dragging.  He still has the next gear available .....he can not go full turbo like he could 10 years ago 82 games .  But he can for play off series .  That was his goal , get there and then do his thing.

I still say the Spurs were best suited to beat James .

Maybe the Warriors can win .......but IMO. The game is in the hands of the refs ......they will determine who wins.

It killed me watching Pau in street clothes - if only that were the case in the 2010 finals.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 08:14:38 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Too easy?  That is just silly.  Always better for a tired banged up team to get rest.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 08:31:32 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The easy road to the Finals for the Cavs exaggerates how good the team is.

As others said, they have done the best they can with the talent on their team, and have beaten the opponents put in front of them.

Unless Curry suffers a catastrophic injury, the Cavs have no chance.  Zilch.

The Warriors have the stars and the dominant two-way team game.  The Cavs are as one dimensional as they ever have been with Bron at the helm.

Lebron is a great player, but it is a shame that in his prime he has hardly been challenged in his own conference.  And no, carrying an utterly mediocre roster to the Finals in an absolutely gutted conference isn't the sort of challenge we hope to see an all-time great face.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 08:37:01 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The play of the role players for the Cavs is being vastly underrated.

JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, Tristan Thompson, Dellavedova and Timo Mozgov seem to be gelling more and more by the game and growing in confidence.  They are playing like a team on a mission.  I give them a more than fair shot against the Warriors.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 09:06:31 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
The play of the role players for the Cavs is being vastly underrated.

JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, Tristan Thompson, Dellavedova and Timo Mozgov seem to be gelling more and more by the game and growing in confidence.  They are playing like a team on a mission.  I give them a more than fair shot against the Warriors.

this, to be fair JR and Shumpert was playing unmotivated on that Knicks team. I hate JR, but this dude is former 6th man of the year. Shumpert, this guy was the dude who harassed Pierce the year they eliminated us. Thompson is rebounding out of his mind!! That team is stacked. The Bulls had a chance but blew it

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 09:07:20 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The easy road to the Finals for the Cavs exaggerates how good the team is.

As others said, they have done the best they can with the talent on their team, and have beaten the opponents put in front of them.

Unless Curry suffers a catastrophic injury, the Cavs have no chance.  Zilch.

The Warriors have the stars and the dominant two-way team game.  The Cavs are as one dimensional as they ever have been with Bron at the helm.

Lebron is a great player, but it is a shame that in his prime he has hardly been challenged in his own conference.  And no, carrying an utterly mediocre roster to the Finals in an absolutely gutted conference isn't the sort of challenge we hope to see an all-time great face.
You are significantly underselling the Cavs roster and seriously underrating how good a chance Cleveland has against the Warriors.  The Warriors have no one that can come close to shutting James down.  He will have a field day.  I mean triple doubles all day long type field day.  And I fully expect James to be guarding Curry, which will pose significant problems for Golden State, just like it did the one time James played against GS in the regular season.  James will be a triple double machine, slow Curry down, and force the Warriors into a style of play they aren't accustomed to.  Cavs will win in 6.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip