Author Topic: Could Horford become available this summer?  (Read 2353 times)

Could Horford become available this summer?
« on: May 27, 2015, 12:10:55 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
After being dismantled by the Cavs, I feel like this is the farthest the Hawks will get with their current roster.

As a result, I wonder if a rebuild could be in order and if so, whether Paul Millsap will go elsewhere and whether the Hawks could make Al Horford available this summer.

Both guys would be great additions on the Celtics.

Re: Could Horford become available this summer?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 12:15:14 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
They're coming off a 60-win season and an Eastern Conference Finals appearance and they've gotten the "farthest" they'll get because every single one of their starters and a key reserve were suffering from a variety of injures in the playoffs? Uhhh, okay.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 12:17:34 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Rven so, too expensive for us

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 12:24:54 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
not a big fan of Horford. He is too inconsistent and too small to guard the paint. If Sully is actually in shape this year, he can provide just as much as Horford.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 12:34:15 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I don't think it's a good idea to have Bradley and Horford shoulder the burden ;), lol ;D. I've always hated Horford, anyway.  He's a good player, yes, but he's a thug and a major cheap shot artist.  Pass.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 12:50:22 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
How in the world is Horford a thug? What?

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 01:02:20 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
They're coming off a 60-win season and an Eastern Conference Finals appearance and they've gotten the "farthest" they'll get because every single one of their starters and a key reserve were suffering from a variety of injures in the playoffs? Uhhh, okay.

Yeah, if anything I think it's more likely they flip their #15 pick for a proven vet. They need depth.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 08:27:21 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Agreed.

I think it would be a shame if the Hawks "blew it up."  I'd rather see them try to add some pieces than tear it down.

They should be able to contend again next year. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 10:03:25 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If I were the Hawks, I'd reload. They've found a good formula for winning. They need to add a piece or two and they're back in the finals.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 10:04:36 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Agree with others, the Hawks would be crazy to trade him.

Yes, the Hawks muddled through mediocrity for the second half of the season after starting out very strong.  Eerily similar to the way that the Pacers roared to a strong record and then stumbled the rest of the way last season. 

The Hawks still can, and will, contend in the East next year, provided they can stay healthy.  They need to find a way to diversify their offense so that they aren't so reliant on running Korver off multiple picks in the halfcourt.  But I'm confident Coach Bud can figure it out.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 10:06:10 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Yeah, if anything I think it's more likely they flip their #15 pick for a proven vet. They need depth.

Isaiah Thomas for Dennis Schroder and #15.  Let's do it.

Not entirely joking.  The Hawks definitely missed having a Lou Williams type player in the playoffs this year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 10:42:20 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Not entirely joking.  The Hawks definitely missed having a Lou Williams type player in the playoffs this year.
While not completely opposed to dealing IT for a mid-high first rounder this year, I'd want someone back that can provide some offense off the bench or would step in as a starter.  Schroder doesn't fit that need.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 10:49:43 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I've seen some speculation that the Hawks might go after Greg Monroe.  If they get him, that would mean Millsap would be available.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

While not completely opposed to dealing IT for a mid-high first rounder this year, I'd want someone back that can provide some offense off the bench or would step in as a starter.  Schroder doesn't fit that need.

I'm not as concerned about the Celtics being better, or even any good, next season.  I think Schroder has shown he can be a valuable bench scorer, and I think he has potential to become a quality starter long term.  A better defender than IT off the bat, and a better ball-handler and playmaker than Smart, too, in the short and long term.

It would be a downgrade in the short term but it would improve the team long term.  Sounds like the right kind of move given where this team is at.

After all, the reason the Celts acquired IT is because they felt he was being undervalued at the time and could be a valuable trade asset.  If a deal like the one I mentioned is available, they should take it.

I like watching IT a lot.  He's the most entertaining player on the roster right now, by far.  But he's not a core piece; he's a sixth man who is out of his depth operating as the #1 option, which is what he is on the Celtics.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 11:06:30 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Horford will not be available. This was the teams first major playoff run. They're coming off a season where they had 4 all stars and had the number 1 seed in the east. On top of that, they're not an aging, crumbling contender. If anything, they'll probably look to make a "splash" in FA with their MLE.
- LilRip