Author Topic: Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young  (Read 3117 times)

Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young
« on: May 26, 2015, 07:36:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
This is actually a continuation of the post about the Billy King tweet.

Anyway, I think we should go after both guys (if they don't pick up their respective player options with Brooklyn.)

In the last 2 of the 3 seasons, Lopez has actually played most of the season and is a career average 18 and 7 guy.

Thad Young will give us more athleticism and length at the 4 or you can also play him at the 3.

Both guys improve us dramatically for next season and we lure both guys away from Brooklyn, making the pick they owe us in '16 that much more attractive.

Here's another link to the story about how both guys aren't sure if they're returning to Brooklyn next season.
http://nypost.com/2015/05/02/is-brook-lopez-returning-to-the-nets-he-doesnt-know/

Re: Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 08:13:29 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Brook Lopez is always hurt and for long periods of time. He scores well, not a great rebounder as everybody knows. He played hard the last few months of the season, because he new his contract was coming up.
He must want to get out of Brooklyn for sure, he's OK, and getable.

Thad Young is also a good scorer, but not a good defender, he really doesn't excite me either.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 08:20:25 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

In the last 2 of the 3 seasons, Lopez has actually played most of the season and is a career average 18 and 7 guy.

A more honest way of saying that is that he has missed every other game over the last four years.  The season you cut off from your post - the 4th year - was the year that he first showed injury problems.

He has only played 168 games out of 328 possible over the last 4 years, or 51.2%.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 08:28:33 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

A more honest way of saying that is that he has missed every other game over the last four years.  The season you cut off from your post - the 4th year - was the year that he first showed injury problems.

He has only played 168 games out of 328 possible over the last 4 years, or 51.2%.

I don't hate him, I'm just suspicious of his past history of injury. He protects the rim well, and scores, he certainly gives size and length. He's a good defender, he concentrates much of his energy on offense. If he came to the C's I would hope for good health that's for sure.
I would like to see him paired with a good rebounding PF.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 09:25:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Brook Lopez is always hurt and for long periods of time. He scores well, not a great rebounder as everybody knows. He played hard the last few months of the season, because he new his contract was coming up.
He must want to get out of Brooklyn for sure, he's OK, and getable.

Thad Young is also a good scorer, but not a good defender, he really doesn't excite me either.

If that's the case, I'd be after him ASAP. I've always liked Lopez, minus the injuries. He'd be a big upgrade for our team, down low.

If we can free up enough cap space, an even better idea would be going after Lopez and Millsap as the Hawks are on the verge of getting swept.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 11:20:24 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I haven't seen Young play enough, so I'll only comment on Lopez. I think he is probably Danny's plan K or L or even M. There are a lot of guys I want more, but if we are in a situation whee it's sign Lopez or sit on the money, I think I would sign him, if it was for only 1 or 2 years. Lopez MIGHT want this if he figures he can get a bigger pay day with the new cap. The money doesn't bother me because we will have room next summer for Durant either way. Hopefully we can do better, but adding just Lopez and nothing else would upgrade our team, even if only a bit.

Lopez/Zeller
Bass/Sully/KO
Turner/Crowder
AB/Young
Smart/IT
plus picks in there and maybe Jerebko.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 12:34:49 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I don't hate him, I'm just suspicious of his past history of injury. He protects the rim well, and scores, he certainly gives size and length. He's a good defender, he concentrates much of his energy on offense. If he came to the C's I would hope for good health that's for sure.
I would like to see him paired with a good rebounding PF.
Brook Lopez is not a good defender and does not protect the paint. he is a under average rebounder for his size. I think, you're thinking about his brother Robin Lopez.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 02:09:28 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think an important way to think of Lopez is like this - he's a max contract ($16M) guy, but he only has played in 50% of his games over the last 4 years. 

Hence if you want to get 2 seasons worth (i.e. 164) of games out of Lopez, it's going to cost you $64M ($16m a year over 4 years, average of ~ 40 games per season). 

Would pay Lopez $64M to have him under contract for two seasons?  I doubt it.  So why pay him $64M to play 2 seasons worth of games?

He protects the rim well, and scores, he certainly gives size and length. He's a good defender

Hmm...

Good defender and a good rim protector?

According to this he's in the bottom 30% among NBA centers: 
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/9

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 02:23:01 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 11:12:19 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Brook Lopez is a shot blocker but not a rim protector. I don't know how that makes sense but somehow it does. Anyway, that said, I'd def. take BroLo on our team. He'll immediately be our best big and likely our best scoring option. He becomes the teams only shot blocker as well.
- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 01:12:10 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
both of these guys have significant issues.

Lopez with injuries, defensive awareness and lack of rebounding. He's also a major ball hog- although if you could teach him to kick outside to a squad of 3 point shooters he'd be okay because there would be more long rebounds to the perimeter.

Young is nice, but his defense is pretty average. He's also slightly undersized. A good way to look at him is to think of a poor man's Paul Milsap, but he definitely has potential. He's like a hybrid  SF/PF.
If he could hit the 3 he'd be a better option.

When thinking of our options inside and considering what players we should go after, I always ask this question:

Can we win a championship with this player, taking up this much salary, at this position.
I think with these guys the answer is a no.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 02:43:38 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
At this point in our rebuilding, there is no need to go "all in" on a player unless it is a pretty sure bet.  I don't consider either of these to be that kind of a player.  I know Young may not be a max player but I don't see how he really helps.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 03:05:02 PM »

Offline Londongreen

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Is this the old 76ers, I don't want young and turner on the same squad. Only players I liked from that 76ers squad were Lou wills, Holiday and Iggy.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 04:21:31 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Exactly plus when you add in that he's 7ft and 275 pounds yet averaged 7.5 RPG that's TERRIBLE.  Also include the fact that he'll want at least 15 million per year he's not worth it...

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 04:29:23 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Id honestly rather trade player/s for Myles Turner and draft Robert Upshaw.

Sorry but adding Lopez and Young does not get us a championship, and thats all that matters. Plus Lopez is riskier than Upshaw, Upshaw will be making rookie $ and Lopez will be making max, but both have risks. Id go with the guy making 1/15th of what Lopez makes or even less.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 04:48:49 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
If the Cs miss out on bigger fish, why not try to depreciate the Nets assets while improving the Cs roster? Regardless of whether or not either of those guys fit the Cs needs, they'd immediately be the two of the best players on the team and more easily packaged for other trades.  If they're big money, short, team friendly deals, even better.

If you only look at "Will this player win us a championship" then you never deal for Theo Ratliff.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.