Author Topic: Local boy Pat Connaughton is Danny Ainge 2.0  (Read 5384 times)

Re: Local boy Pat Connaughton is Danny Ainge 2.0
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 07:27:44 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I haven't seen him in any of the mocks, guessing most are thinking he's going to play baseball.  That he went to the combine makes me wonder though.

From what I hear he's pretty well thought of as a pitcher.

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 07:54:53 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I'm pretty sure he's said he wants to play basketball over baseball.  Not sure what the contract holds him to.

Also: he murdered at the combine.  Put up the second highest vert ever I believe (44") and then came first or near first in nearly all the other drills.

I do like him.  Seems like he can shoot and he's a great athlete.

He went to St. John's Prep if anyone is familiar with that school.  Remember him playing there.

Anyways, I think he's worth a flier with a second rounder or something.  He has upside.  Again though, I don't know how the contract thing with the MLB works.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 08:03:36 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Interestingly enough Red drafted Ainge 31st overall (2nd round).  He had already made it to the majors with the Jays. 

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 08:30:37 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Interestingly enough Red drafted Ainge 31st overall (2nd round).  He had already made it to the majors with the Jays.
Yeah, the historic parallel is funny. Hope we can draft him in the 2nd round.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 09:28:07 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Danny isn't getting nearly enough credit for his athleticism.  He's the only person to have been a high school first team All American in football, basketball, and baseball.  He won the John Wooden award for the national player of the year.  As a professional baseball player, his hitting numbers stink.  But he was playing MLB during the summers while still going to college full time.  He was playing SS, third, 2nd, and center field for the Toronto Blue Jays from the ages of 20 to 22.  Most MLB players don't reach the majors until after age 22 nevermind going to college full time and playing NCAA basketball.

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 10:15:15 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Gotta say, it's a cool story.  I don't see how Danny doesn't take a chance if he's still there with the 45th pick (which based on mock drafts, he will be). 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 10:35:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Danny isn't getting nearly enough credit for his athleticism.  He's the only person to have been a high school first team All American in football, basketball, and baseball.

This is all true but in no way did Ainge has a 40" plus vertical.

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 05:37:07 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
Danny isn't getting nearly enough credit for his athleticism.  He's the only person to have been a high school first team All American in football, basketball, and baseball.  He won the John Wooden award for the national player of the year.  As a professional baseball player, his hitting numbers stink.  But he was playing MLB during the summers while still going to college full time.  He was playing SS, third, 2nd, and center field for the Toronto Blue Jays from the ages of 20 to 22.  Most MLB players don't reach the majors until after age 22 nevermind going to college full time and playing NCAA basketball.
Quite impressive. But right now we need to find shooters in the draft. And Devin Booker will probably be gone...  Any other shooter with athletic ability besides Connaughton?

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 05:44:29 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Quite impressive. But right now we need to find shooters in the draft. And Devin Booker will probably be gone...  Any other shooter with athletic ability besides Connaughton?

I'd take a shot with this guy with the 45th pick.  RJ Hunter is a possibility if we stay put.  More than likely, our best chance to get a shooter will be through a trade.

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2015, 05:45:29 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
I just hope Danny doesn't fall in love with one of those "potential" guys. Enough of Fab Melo's, Jajuan Johnson's and JR Giddens'.

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 06:03:12 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I just hope Danny doesn't fall in love with one of those "potential" guys. Enough of Fab Melo's, Jajuan Johnson's and JR Giddens'.

The entire draft is full of 'potential' guys.  You have to guess on their progression.  It's a crap shoot.

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2015, 06:26:42 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

The entire draft is full of 'potential' guys.  You have to guess on their progression.  It's a crap shoot.

They are also talking about second round, getting guys like those are more likely than not going to happen. 2nd round picks are even more than a crap shoot. How many people make it in the NBA each season? Taking people who don't make it after being picked that late means nothing at all. Every blue moon someone gets lucky.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 01:33:28 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
The first step...
PS: Is anyone better suited for the Celtics than a local shooter named Patrick?
http://nesn.com/2015/06/celtics-pre-draft-workout-notre-dames-pat-connaughton-visits-hometown-team/

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2015, 03:22:44 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
ainge did not pick giddens due to potential, but because he was deemed an "nba ready" player who could immediately help the team during the brief window of the big three era.

next, why the plural after each player's names? there was only one of each.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva