Author Topic: Would the Cavs re-sign both Love and Thompson to max deals?  (Read 7738 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Because that's what it is going to take to retain both players services. There is no doubt they will both get offered max contracts by other teams. Both also play the same position. I just think its looking more and more like Love is going to leave .

Danny is in great position to steal Love!

Re: Would the Cavs re-sign both Love and Thompson to max deals?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 10:24:30 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Why wouldn't they? If they don't, there's no way to replace either of those guys with anyone in free agency because they won't have the cap space. And - honestly - they're making the Finals with this team: why not re-sign everyone? Gilbert's reportedly got no issue with paying the luxury tax, so why not?

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Why wouldn't they? If they don't, there's no way to replace either of those guys with anyone in free agency because they won't have the cap space. And - honestly - they're making the Finals with this team: why not re-sign everyone? Gilbert's reportedly got no issue with paying the luxury tax, so why not?
why would love want to stay if they resign Thompson? like I said they both play the same position, do you think love will be happy only playing about 25-30 minutes a game? they benched him multiple times in the 4th quarter during the regular season. I just don't see him staying there.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 10:30:12 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
why would love want to stay if they resign Thompson? like I said they both play the same position, do you think love will be happy only playing about 25-30 minutes a game? they benched him multiple times in the 4th quarter during the regular season. I just don't see him staying there.

Your question is confusing.  I agree with EP that the Cavs would be willing to do so, which is what it sounds like you're asking.  Love being willing to sign there with Thompson still on board is a completely different question.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 10:31:52 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
If the Cavs resign Thompson to near-max money as rumored, that's basically an indirect slap in the face to Love. there's not a chance in hell he elects to stay.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 10:32:55 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Thompson has been HUGE for the Cavaliers this postseason. Nobody was able to block him out on rebounds. I expect the Cavs to give him the max. I still expect them to give Love the max as well. If they do win, getting Love back will only help their cause

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 10:36:06 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It's also worth pointing out that a max contract for Thompson is significantly smaller than a max contract for Love.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 10:49:36 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I thought I heard Van Gundy saying the other night that if they resign both of them he fully expects Thokpson to be starting and Love coming off of the bench, or at least that's what he would do. Can't say stuff like that would sit too well with Love if he heard it lol

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 12
are they keeping varejao or trade varejao?

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think they absolutely would. However, I don't think they will get the chance when Love opts out this summer.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 11:06:53 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

I have no idea what Love would like. That said, as saltlover pointed out, that's an entirely different question than what you originally posed. The Cavs most likely would and absolutely should be willing to re-sign both guys to max deals. Whether or not Love decides to re-sign is independent of the Cavs' willingness to re-sign him.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 11:07:05 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Even with the raised salary cap, the Cavs would be repeat luxury tax offenders for two years in a row. Kyrie signed a mega-max deal last year. Lebron wants a mega-mega max deal next off-season. Love would almost certainly demand a mega-max deal this off-season, and Thompson will want a max deal. They also hold a team option on Mozgov this year, which means they can put off resigning him for another year, but when he does need resigned, he will cost them 8-10 million a year.

I think it is more and more likely he leaves. The spacing is tighter without Love, but the Cavs have found this bully type of identity that just pounds opposing teams into submission. That has been a winning formula.

More than a 17 million dollar stretch 4 (which is how they use Love), what they need is depth. Love and Irving are injury-prone -- that's undeniable. James is wearing down -- slowly, but it is happening. They need guys who can give them good minutes like JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, Dellavadova, and Mozgov.

If I'm the Cavs, I would try to get depth more than anything. With the way Iman Shumpert has been playing, I might rather keep him for his fit next to Lebron and Kyrie. Dellavadova is the same way. Neither are stars, but they are a great fit next to Lebron and Kyrie. If I'm them, I'm resigning Shumpert (6 million a year), Dellaladova (3 million a year), Thompson (15 million a year), Mozgov (8 million a year), and using my mid-level to try to get Jerebko from us.

At that point, with 10 players on their roster, they have about 91 million in salaries. If you fill that out with a first round pick and minimum contracts, that makes about 95 million in salaries which would be the highest of any team in the NBA - that's without Love and before they resign James to a mega-mega max deal worth about 10 million more than he is being paid right now.

I know Gilbert is willing to pay the tax for a championship team, but because they are repeat offenders, their tax bill will be almost 50 million without Kevin Love. With him too, it would be over 100 million for next season. Even though the cap jumps again the year after that, Lebron wants a megamegamax deal, which I think will put their tax above 50 million again.

These are my rough numbers. From my point of view, the way they use Love, I just don't think he puts them over the top. I think they can win just as well without him, or with a stretch four like Jerebko.

Which is good for us if Love is available. By the way, I think they knew this might happen, and they prepared for this contingency.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:12:56 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 11:20:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Dan Gilbert will use all his Quicken money and pay the luxury tax to win championships.  He doesn't care about the tax and badly wants to win and win big.  He would absolutely pay Love and Thompson max contracts.  If Love tells him he will re-sign but doesn't want to play with Thompson, then the Cavs will let Thompson go.  Frankly I think they can both get their minutes by playing them together with Thompson at the center.  So something like C - Mozgov (25), Thompson (18), Varejao (5) and PF - Love (35), Thompson (13).  Play Varejao more when injuries or foul trouble arise.  I think that gets everyone their minutes and keeps everyone relatively happy. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 11:37:23 AM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

Mosgov only plays about 20-24mins max. Varejao minutes would be cut to about 5-10mins since he is made of glass

Thats 30+mins split between Love and Thompson. NOt sure what the problem is. Besides even with Mosgov around, they played Love and Thompson alot together in crunch time. Pretty obvious you never really followed the team through the season or else you would know that

Anyway am sure they think Love, TT, Mosgov and Varejao give them incredibly flexibility and numbers can fluctuate depending on match ups! Love and TT will get the bulk of the minutes regardless! Gilbert has always been willing to pay the tax so Love will get the max. I doubt TT gets the max but if he does thats really not Loves business as long as he got his own money! Love wouldnt be going anywhere am afraid

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 11:44:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think they will.  Dan Gilbert's net worth rose $1 billion in the past year.  He can afford one year of heavily paying the luxury tax in order to win a championship.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes