Author Topic: Are we giving up on KO and/or Sully yet?  (Read 4844 times)

Re: Are we giving up on KO and/or Sully yet?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 12:38:15 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No.  But next year is sort of Sully and KO last chance to prove that they are just not some players coming off the bench

We already seen Sully with a slimmer body.  No updates on KO but he is probably working hard this offseason.

I expect them to be key players for the team next season

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 12:50:06 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I would guess they stay as well for whatever reason.  The celtics usually dont bail on players that quickly.  It could be something where we maneuver for something here but I would guess they stay as of right now.  KO really did not impress me last year though. He has to figure otu something as far as how he plays.

My guess right now is we focus on a defensive center and guard and sf this offseason but Ainge has a way of doing things.

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 01:02:24 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I feel like KO and Stevens see eye to eye for some  reason.  I don't know why.  I think KO is a stevens kind of player.  He just has to get it in gear.  Sully just ahs to get in better shape.  He has some really good spurts  but he always breaks down. They both do but they are young. Bradley had the same issues at first.  Last year was really his first really consistant year. Sully and KO are getting to that point.

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 01:31:44 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08S8J406Qc4

Not giving up on KO. I think he still has room to grow. Big guys take longer.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 01:35:21 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I think this team has a good chance to make a good jump next year because of guys like Sully nad KO in ways.  We need pieces around them but this team has a good shot to really be right there next year if we make the right moves. 

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 01:56:23 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I gave up on both mid-season.

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 02:05:43 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Ainge doesn't give up on valuable, talented young players unless they get an offer for something they feel is more valuable.

They're on the team next year. Of course, if Sacramento calls and offers up 6 for Sully, 16 and our own 1st next year, he'd probably be gone.

On the plus side, the last time Sullinger got in optimum shape was his freshman year at Ohio State when he wanted to prove he was the best player in the country, and in the running for being drafted #1 overall. It really wouldn't surprise me to see him come into the season in great shape and play really well in his contract year. Worries me about what he does after the contract, but if he does actually improve his fitness level, he's a borderline all-star, 16-20 points and 9-11 boards kinda guy.

If KO can manage to stay aggressive and gets good minutes, his skill set is dangerous. Opens up the whole offense. If we can get a defensive minded big, KO could pull off a nice 13-16 Pts, 6-8 Reb, 3-4 assist kind of stat line. If they both make it through the offseason, and don't show good improvement by the deadline, ones gonna get moved.

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 02:11:41 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Ainge doesn't give up on valuable, talented young players unless they get an offer for something they feel is more valuable.

They're on the team next year. Of course, if Sacramento calls and offers up 6 for Sully, 16 and our own 1st next year, he'd probably be gone.

On the plus side, the last time Sullinger got in optimum shape was his freshman year at Ohio State when he wanted to prove he was the best player in the country, and in the running for being drafted #1 overall. It really wouldn't surprise me to see him come into the season in great shape and play really well in his contract year. Worries me about what he does after the contract, but if he does actually improve his fitness level, he's a borderline all-star, 16-20 points and 9-11 boards kinda guy.

If KO can manage to stay aggressive and gets good minutes, his skill set is dangerous. Opens up the whole offense. If we can get a defensive minded big, KO could pull off a nice 13-16 Pts, 6-8 Reb, 3-4 assist kind of stat line. If they both make it through the offseason, and don't show good improvement by the deadline, ones gonna get moved.

Unless Ainge is getting Kevin love or something like this in a swap which neither seems likely it seems to me like it would make sense to try to move up and get a center here like Stein or maybe make a trade for jordan.  We could gamble on javale mcgee and go another route though.  Kevin Love is going to be floating out there until its gone though.   But like you say Ainge isnt going to deal unless its for something better. There are only so many options that are and most of them dont seem very likely.

It's still so early though but unless there are fireworks somewhere i'm not really seeing it. Fireworks is basically Cousins, LOve or we trade up and get the #1 pick or something.  I don't know what else there is.

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 02:17:12 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Woah, woah, woah, slow down, speed racer, lol ;D. Do you realize what you just suggested, haha ;D? Seriously, bro, is this real life ;D?

All kidding aside, I'd love for both of those things to happen, especially for KO so that we could trade him, ahaha ;D.

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 02:18:51 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I haven't given up on KO yet - he's only had two seasons as a pro and has shown improvement despite injuries limiting his games, so I'll give him another year to prove that he can get his foul problems under control.  If that never happens, then I'll be ready to accept that he'll never be more than a 20-24 MPG bench player.  A pretty solid and effective bench player, but a bench player regardless.

Sully I'm dangerously close to giving up on.  Last year I basically had him in the same spot I have KO now - he'd just finished his second season as a pro, and had a number of injuries, so I was willing to give him one more year to work out his issues (weight, shot selection, lazy play style, etc).  Now season #3 is over, and none of those things have changed.  Now he's out in the media telling everybody he's dedicated this getting himself in shape this year, etc - yet he's already said that for both of the last two offseasons.  Every year there is the same promise, different excuse.  I'm about 90% of the way to giving up.  Basically at the point where I'd be taking any deal that offer an upgrade, even if it's a tiny one.  If no upgrade comes by mid season and he's still not made a change, then I would trade him for anybody I can get who will actually work.

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2015, 07:03:56 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
The origin of the rumour is here
//It's risky to read between the lines, but sometimes that's how you discover the underlying message. If I was willing to make a bet, I'd say that the Boston Celtics will try to trade up into the lottery on draft night using Kelly Olynyk and picks to select Willie Cauley-Stein. Then they'll make a hard run at Kevin Love in free agency using Thomas' relationship and his legacy potential Celtics legacy as the two leading selling points.//
http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/5/25/8654643/danny-ainge-asked-for-isaiah-thomas-to-help-recruit-free-agents-kevin-love-boston-celtics

Tbh, I find it absurd to trade Olynyk plus a couple of draft picks for another draft pick.
You just don't trade players on rookie contracts who took you a couple of years to develop like this.

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 08:46:21 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Ainge could legitmently flip either or both of these guys for Kaminsky and another big this draft, but we drafted these guys.  Sully to me still has a lot of upside and shows it in spurts.  KO I've flatlined on a bit and he has  been all over the place and still is a bit soft and limited as far as what he can do. Bradley had a break out year last year and became a solid player.  Neither of these guys have  yet  but haven't been in the league as long.  Both are due in ways. Particularly Sully.

I like the energy and stuff that Kaminsky brings and smarts in the videos i've seen.  He seems to just play with a good motor and understanding of the game but I don't know about this.  There was an article on this site saying he'd flip KO and Sully for POrtis or Kaminsky or any of those guys and I'm not so sure.

Stop, lol ;D.

Seriously though. We already have KO, why would we need Kaminsky? Portis can fall to 16 so just stick with that.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2015, 09:21:10 AM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
I haven't given up on KO yet - he's only had two seasons as a pro and has shown improvement despite injuries limiting his games, so I'll give him another year to prove that he can get his foul problems under control.  If that never happens, then I'll be ready to accept that he'll never be more than a 20-24 MPG bench player.  A pretty solid and effective bench player, but a bench player regardless.

Sully I'm dangerously close to giving up on.  Last year I basically had him in the same spot I have KO now - he'd just finished his second season as a pro, and had a number of injuries, so I was willing to give him one more year to work out his issues (weight, shot selection, lazy play style, etc).  Now season #3 is over, and none of those things have changed.  Now he's out in the media telling everybody he's dedicated this getting himself in shape this year, etc - yet he's already said that for both of the last two offseasons.  Every year there is the same promise, different excuse.  I'm about 90% of the way to giving up.  Basically at the point where I'd be taking any deal that offer an upgrade, even if it's a tiny one.  If no upgrade comes by mid season and he's still not made a change, then I would trade him for anybody I can get who will actually work.

I agree with this,  We need to give up on using Olynyk as a center and have him start at the PF position.  We've used him wrong from day one.  With a good rim protector beside him  (hint: not Zelle) Olynyk would be more than fine.   

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2015, 09:49:39 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We have no reason to keep two power forwards that have the same game.
They may not look and act the same, but their games are too similar to have a need for both.

We need at least one power forward that is athletic, can defend the pick and roll, help protect the rim, be able to actually move their feet, and guard the quicker PF's in the league, and do some scoring.   

Which do you choose to keep? That is the question we should be asking.

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2015, 09:54:01 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Sully has Barkley-esque skills.  Round Mound of Rebound, plus scoring.  That's nothing to give up on easily.

KO is a tall shooter and well skilled, but seems to lack offensive aggressiveness of a genuine scorer.  Oh, and defense with those not-too-quick feet.  And T-Rex arms.  Mostly, his not-too-quick release will eventually be a factor if folks actually decide to play him tight on the perimeter.  A good player, but possibly a career bench player.  Not sure he has "champion" in him.  Lacks that intense look.