Author Topic: What players do you think the celtics will target?  (Read 3185 times)

What players do you think the celtics will target?
« on: May 25, 2015, 10:09:23 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
The celtics want players who are coachable and open to criticism.  They also have Isiaiah recruiting and a defensive big man would fit the bill.  Deandre Jordan I keep coming back to. In the draft there are some defensive minded bigs as well.  With KO here I don't think Kaminsky fits us overly.  There are a few others but as far as impact bigs right away?

Stealing Deandre away from Doc somehow would be good.  Maybe Doc wouldnt mind a younger big like Deandre, and picks to put other pieces around Griffin and Paul where that would work.

THat would make sense for the clippers imo.  I know Doc really like Deandre but targetting a guy like Stein and picks could land Deandre here I feel.  Or we can just target Stein or one of the other defensive minded centers ourselves.

Are guys like Stein and Deandre worth the jump over guys like Turner or Portis?

I dont know if I'm 100 percent sold on this year being it but I'm pretty sure we are going to move from 16 I feel and target a defensive minded center this year.  This is a good year to do that.

Re: What players do you think the celtics will target?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:18:19 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Turner was also a big boost for us and AB played solid.  But I think Isiaah and Smart are here to stay.  I also think if we cant find a star SF this offseason, getting more scoring for BRadley and Turner makes some sense.  Ty Lawson has been bantied about but he is pretty undersized himself.  DA is always good at finding the right mix and it's still early for me but that's what I can come up with so far.

I dont know how that all fits though.  I like Bradley a lot.  I also like Turner.  Smart is also due to a big jump in offensive focus in ways where adding pieces there is tricky.

SF and PF are other areas but finding the right fits there is tricky too.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 10:30:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Turner was also a big boost for us and AB played solid.  But I think Isiaah and Smart are here to stay.  I also think if we cant find a star SF this offseason, getting more scoring for BRadley and Turner makes some sense.  Ty Lawson has been bantied about but he is pretty undersized himself.  DA is always good at finding the right mix and it's still early for me but that's what I can come up with so far.

I dont know how that all fits though.  I like Bradley a lot.  I also like Turner.  Smart is also due to a big jump in offensive focus in ways where adding pieces there is tricky.

SF and PF are other areas but finding the right fits there is tricky too.
For me Lawson works if and only if you trade IT.

I think Lawson is a good buy-low candidate after the epic fallout in Denver. In the beginning of the year people were ready to put him into the superstar pg group.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 10:37:30 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
just to keep in mind there are only so many defensive minded big men in the league that are that good.  This years draft is better than most.  Next years draft isnt close.  The  year after is Thon Maker and who even knows on that at this point.  So it makes sense why we are interested in guys like Mcgee, Stein and Deandre.  If we are going to get a defensive minded big man it's kind of what it is.

We also want a guy who's talented and also coachable that's the whole thing.  We want a big man who's ego isn't going to get in the way where he can be coachable because that is going to be a huge focal point for us if we are going to be winning championships.

We want a guy who really wants to be a part of this.  We can gamble a bit on a guy like Mcgee b ecause of all our picks later on though.   It doesnt work out Smart is more developed 2 years from now and we can go after something better but yeah.

To me Isiah is a nice recruiter to have right now but Smart is really the only cornerstone.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:43:32 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 11:09:27 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
just to keep in mind there are only so many defensive minded big men in the league that are that good.  This years draft is better than most.  Next years draft isnt close.  The  year after is Thon Maker and who even knows on that at this point.  So it makes sense why we are interested in guys like Mcgee, Stein and Deandre.  If we are going to get a defensive minded big man it's kind of what it is.

We also want a guy who's talented and also coachable that's the whole thing.  We want a big man who's ego isn't going to get in the way where he can be coachable because that is going to be a huge focal point for us if we are going to be winning championships.

We want a guy who really wants to be a part of this.  We can gamble a bit on a guy like Mcgee b ecause of all our picks later on though.   It doesnt work out Smart is more developed 2 years from now and we can go after something better but yeah.

To me Isiah is a nice recruiter to have right now but Smart is really the only cornerstone.

Thon Maker reclassified, he'll enter college this year, and likely the 2016 draft
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 11:32:01 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I just read somewhere that he's spending a year and a half in school. Going to join his school halfway  through this year then play all of next year.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 11:03:11 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The guy I'd most like to see here is LaMarcus Aldridge, but to be honest I think that's a real long shot. 

My second tier of options would probably be Greg Monroe, Jimmy Butler and Nerlens Noel (via trade).  I think Butler is pretty unlikely, but I think Monroe and Noel might be reasonably achievable.

Third Tier is probably DeAndre Jordan.  Not because i don't value his skill set, just because I don't think this team is a good fit for him.  He's completely incapable of creating offense, so he needs to play on a team that's filled with high level scorers, and a team that has a great PG to deliver him the ball - we have neither. I think Noel is better suited to us because he's just as good as Jordan defensively, but he'd be far cheaper to acquire and has more offensive upside.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 11:22:40 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
It's difficult to pinpoint who we will target because like you say all these guys have drawbacks.  I'm not big on Monroe or any of those guys.  Deandre has his issues as well like you say. He might not be a good fit here because his offensive game is so stiff and limited to basic post moves and alley oops.  The guy has size and athleticism and the moves he does have around the basket are pretty good.  He's not Robert parish but who is on the bl ock now?

Aldridge is probably the closest to Robert parish these days. Can Aldridge play center though?

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 11:28:38 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
The guy I'd most like to see here is LaMarcus Aldridge, but to be honest I think that's a real long shot. 

My second tier of options would probably be Greg Monroe, Jimmy Butler and Nerlens Noel (via trade).  I think Butler is pretty unlikely, but I think Monroe and Noel might be reasonably achievable.

Third Tier is probably DeAndre Jordan.  Not because i don't value his skill set, just because I don't think this team is a good fit for him.  He's completely incapable of creating offense, so he needs to play on a team that's filled with high level scorers, and a team that has a great PG to deliver him the ball - we have neither. I think Noel is better suited to us because he's just as good as Jordan defensively, but he'd be far cheaper to acquire and has more offensive upside.

This.

While I love deandre and his defense, he needs a Chris Paul to get him his points, otherwise he's a liability. And I DONT want to be the victim of Hack a DeAndre next year.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 11:33:16 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
That's why its important we get a big who is going to improve. I think we had enough of that with rondo in ways   I'm cooling on Deandre but I think if Deandre can actually improve parts of his game that's different.

Doc was never the best teacher in the game as far as developing talent.  He was good and bringing players along and getting them to play hard and play well together but stevens does a better job actually improving skills I think.

Monroe is a good solid low post  player.  He's a good player.  There is no real drawback to him either except he isn't a great rim protector  or center.  I wouldn't be that excited about Monroe unless something else came with it.  Detroit has had Monroe with Drummond and other good players and they've been pretty bad.

It's like Al Jefferson to me. Good player.  Hasn't exactly improved pretty good teams. Maybe Stevens can do something with these g uys but I'm not that high on them.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:38:54 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 11:42:14 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'll give an under the radar name that might come at a reasonable price that has been mentioned in previous threads, Bismack Biyombo.

During an 11 game stretch starting for an injured Jefferson the Hornets went 8 and 3, and he anchored a defense with a 95.2 defensive rating.  Jefferson held opponents to a 55.2 field goal percentage up until that point, and Biyombo held opposing players to a 47.8 field goal percentage during that stretch.  Also his per 36 minutes he averaged 12.3 rebounds and almost 3 blocks.  He is only 22 years old. 

He is not much of a scorer, but maybe at the very least a good player to pair up with KO in the front court off the bench and have other scorers out there on the court with him like IT.  I have no idea if the Hornets will aggressively try to retain, but maybe we could look into it.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 12:11:44 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
They should target Gasol and Monroe via FA. C's may need to dump or stretch Wallace to make it happen. Then maybe recruit Pierce back cheap. Also move up and draft SJ via 16, Sully, 33 and a Brooklyn pick. Use pick 45 on a decent PF backup like Richaun Holmes.

Smart/IT
AB/Turner/Young
Pierce/SJ
Monroe/KO/Holmes
Gasol/Zeller

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 12:15:34 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Hopefully anybody and everybody.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 12:46:50 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'll give an under the radar name that might come at a reasonable price that has been mentioned in previous threads, Bismack Biyombo.

During an 11 game stretch starting for an injured Jefferson the Hornets went 8 and 3, and he anchored a defense with a 95.2 defensive rating.  Jefferson held opponents to a 55.2 field goal percentage up until that point, and Biyombo held opposing players to a 47.8 field goal percentage during that stretch.  Also his per 36 minutes he averaged 12.3 rebounds and almost 3 blocks.  He is only 22 years old. 

He is not much of a scorer, but maybe at the very least a good player to pair up with KO in the front court off the bench and have other scorers out there on the court with him like IT.  I have no idea if the Hornets will aggressively try to retain, but maybe we could look into it.

I agree, TP. Even if we were to get Upshaw, it doesn't exactly hurt to have The Bismack ;) (sarcasm) ;D in tow, as well.  Just don't tell the RAF and the Royal Navy (sarcasm), lol ;D.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 12:52:10 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Maybe I'm too lazy to look it up----but which Teams have "Max Player" Cap Space this Summer---?
..So, I can see who the C's are in competition with.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.