Author Topic: Aldridge: Pierce Expected to Opt-Out and Join Clippers  (Read 5884 times)

Re: Aldridge: Pierce Expected to Opt-Out and Join Clippers
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 08:02:15 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
People here hate the Clippers?   Why?

I'd prefer Pierce coming back to boston, but it makes little difference to me if he's playing on the Clippers instead of the Wizards.

Some probably don't like the Clips because of the Doc Rivers factor.
Misplaced anger.   The hate for Doc is ridiculous.  He was a solid coach.  He was our coach during our little 3 year hiccup of relevance back in the late 00s.     He obviously didn't want to be here for a lengthy rebuild where KG, Pierce and Rondo were all being shipped out.  I didn't blame him.  He played the tank game for us back in 2007.  He paid his dues.

Yeah it's kind of sad.  I really don't get it.  I think he's better than solid (very good) and now we have a coach with great potential (who is already very good).   If he didn't want to rebuild I get it.  He took his shot and it isn't exactly going super well but I get why he would and hey, go for it.  We even got a first round pick!

08 was huge for me and everyone to do with that I think fondly of.  A little less Ray to be honest but he really played against those guys at the end.  Doc is definitely a guy I like a lot and I am very glad he was our coach.  I wish him the best.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2015, 08:06:38 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

I'd prefer Pierce coming back to boston, but it makes little difference to me if he's playing on the Clippers instead of the Wizards.

Misplaced anger.   The hate for Doc is ridiculous.  He was a solid coach.  He was our coach during our little 3 year hiccup of relevance back in the late 00s.     He obviously didn't want to be here for a lengthy rebuild where KG, Pierce and Rondo were all being shipped out.  I didn't blame him.  He played the tank game for us back in 2007.  He paid his dues.

Yeah it's kind of sad.  I really don't get it.  I think he's better than solid (very good) and now we have a coach with great potential (who is already very good).   If he didn't want to rebuild I get it.  He took his shot and it isn't exactly going super well but I get why he would and hey, go for it.  We even got a first round pick!

08 was huge for me and everyone to do with that I think fondly of.  A little less Ray to be honest but he really played against those guys at the end.  Doc is definitely a guy I like a lot and I am very glad he was our coach.  I wish him the best.

TP. I'm a big Doc fan. It'd be funny how people talked about Doc had BS been a failure like Pitino. It's easy to say good riddance to someone when you've got a great coach in place, but if it went bad would people really be this upset with Doc?

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2015, 08:50:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

TP. I'm a big Doc fan. It'd be funny how people talked about Doc had BS been a failure like Pitino. It's easy to say good riddance to someone when you've got a great coach in place, but if it went bad would people really be this upset with Doc?
Theyd be exponentially more angry.

Why would we be less mad? We would be more appreciative of his coaching skills which I never thought much of (I see him as a personality manager which is important too), but we would be way more angry that he just skipped town on us and left us without a good coach.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2015, 11:05:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/25/rumor-paul-pierce-might-opt-out-of-contract-with-wizards-join-clippers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. Not sure how reputable Aldridge is, but in a sense it would make sense with him being from that area. Two issues, though: 1) what kind of deal can he get with the cap-strapped Clippers, and 2) if we are able to make a splash or two with the draft and/or free agents, would he prefer to have one last ride with his true home in the horrible Eastern conference over Doc and the Clippers in a rough Western conference with powerhouses like GS, Houston, OKC, and Memphis?

I mean, you say his 'true home' in the sense that he'll get his number hung up here and will be regarded (rightfully) as a Celtics great, but Pierce has more ties to the Clippers than the Celtics as far as players, staff, culture, and short-term professional goals are concerned:

"This whole transition, man, we came in as strangers and bonded as brothers," said Garnett, a person Rondo has previously suggested was his closest friend on the team. "And I say that with Glen [Davis], Kendrick [Perkins], Tony Allen, with Eddie House and [James Posey], just a connection with what it is.

"When Ray [Allen] left [for Miami last summer], it was hard for everybody there. We saw Doc [Rivers] leave [for Los Angeles last month], that blew us out of the water. It's kind of like looking up at the wave coming. And now we're here, so I can only imagine what Do's going through.
http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/9493680/paul-pierce-kevin-garnett-lament-leaving-rajon-rondo-behind

Look at this roster. It's from the last year Pierce was a Boston Celtic.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2013.html

Is Pierce going to effectively retire (because that's exactly what it would be) to hang out with Brandon Bass, Sullinger, and Avery Bradley? To get the successively waning adoration of hometown fans watching Pierce look like an old guy for 20 minutes a night, if that, while the C's try to develop new players? Instead of being an old dude who can hit important shots for a playoff team over 20 minutes a night? I don't think that's a fair thing to ask of him, and I don't really think any Celtics fan wants him to do more than the one-day contract, if they look into their heart of hearts.

That was based on the conditions that we make a splash this summer and bring in some real talent, i.e. something like Love, DJ, etc. I don't expect him to waste his last years with the current roster.

Fair enough. I would love to bring Pierce in as the 7th man on a championship contender next year. I don't think it happens.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2015, 11:11:24 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
What took him so long to re-unite with Doc?

At the same time, you're stupid if you don't take this with a huge grain of salt.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2015, 11:37:12 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Some probably don't like the Clips because of the Doc Rivers factor. I personally didn't care for them before Doc got there. It's just something about that team..they seemed whiny and entitled.

I think Blake did better this year, but previous seasons he would always be in the middle of some commotion on the court, but would act like he didn't know why some of the players wanted to tear his head off (maybe because of the little slick elbows and jabs under the basket that the ref wouldn't see). Then the commentators would be like "why is everyone picking on Blake?"...so that's my reason..lol. And don't get me started on the flopping of CP3  ;D

I agree with all of this, and think it's kinda gross/misleading that LarBrd deleted it all of his reply.

Is it really not obvious?

Multiple posters in this thread have explained it to you already (which is why I thought it was already common sense) but I'll throw out my own thoughts (and I'll leave out the bias I have towards CP3, who I've found extremely hateable since he joined the league).

The Clippers are by far the loudest team in the lead.  They do nothing but talk all game, as if they were the returning champions or something, and yet that team has come absolutely no where close to winning anything.  And when they're not talking trash, they're simply whining/complaining to the refs (again, other posters have already said this, because it's so obvious).

They are just so unbelievably cocky, and it's seriously off-putting when you actually watch the games (while realizing those guys have done nothing to deserve talking all that crap/done nothing to back it up).

And all this is without even mentioning the constant obvious flopping.

You've got to be either oblivious or actively trolling if you're seriously suggesting people are wrong for liking the perfectly likeable Wizards more than the completely hateable Clippers.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2015, 11:43:33 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
honestly it makes more sense for him to go to the Lakers and play with Rondo and Kobe.
Yeah if he wants to miss out on meaningful playoff games.

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2015, 02:01:35 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

+1

Agree with everything you said here.

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2015, 04:09:58 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Well, I don't hate doc, but I don't like him either.
He's too old fashion for today's nba, he's not a coach like Pop who adapt to modern stuffs.
Same thing can be said for Thibs.
There is a movement going on with "old" coach replaced by "younger" ones.
It has to do with the way basketball is played now. More pace and space oriented with analytic playing a part in that.
Doc was one of the best last decade. He's not anymore. That's just the way it is.
It does nothing to do with the fact we got Brad, but more like the fact of watching how Pop (and his staff) has evolved during the last 10 years.