Author Topic: Aldridge: Pierce Expected to Opt-Out and Join Clippers  (Read 5869 times)

Aldridge: Pierce Expected to Opt-Out and Join Clippers
« on: May 25, 2015, 09:29:52 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/25/rumor-paul-pierce-might-opt-out-of-contract-with-wizards-join-clippers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. Not sure how reputable Aldridge is, but in a sense it would make sense with him being from that area. Two issues, though: 1) what kind of deal can he get with the cap-strapped Clippers, and 2) if we are able to make a splash or two with the draft and/or free agents, would he prefer to have one last ride with his true home in the horrible Eastern conference over Doc and the Clippers in a rough Western conference with powerhouses like GS, Houston, OKC, and Memphis?

Re: Aldridge: Pierce Expected to Opt-Out and Join Clippers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 09:33:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/25/rumor-paul-pierce-might-opt-out-of-contract-with-wizards-join-clippers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. Not sure how reputable Aldridge is, but in a sense it would make sense with him being from that area. Two issues, though: 1) what kind of deal can he get with the cap-strapped Clippers, and 2) if we are able to make a splash or two with the draft and/or free agents, would he prefer to have one last ride with his true home in the horrible Eastern conference over Doc and the Clippers in a rough Western conference with powerhouses like GS, Houston, OKC, and Memphis?

I'm surprised he isn't coming back to Boston. I guess if he thinks the Clippers could win a chip its a good gamble, but it seems unlikely..

You have to think that the Clips are throwing the full MLE at him, which would match what he's already making, so opting out isn't a big deal.

i wonder if there are tampering issues at hand here. If Pierce opts out of his current contract with a deal in place in LA, is Doc allowed to help that process along?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:37:05 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I'm surprised he isn't coming back to Boston. I guess if he thinks the Clippers could win a chip its a good gamble, but it seems unlikely..

You have to think that the Clips are throwing the full MLE at him, which would match what he's already making, so opting out isn't a big deal.

i wonder if there are tampering issues at hand here. If Pierce opts out of his current contract with a deal in place in LA, is Doc allowed to help that process along?

Hypothetically, would resigning DJ at the max and signing Pierce be enough to get them over that hump? As much as Pierce is an upgrade for them, I still don't think that'd be enough for them.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 09:46:26 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ

He has a player option for $5.5 mill with Wizards. The tax-payer mid-level was $3.2 last year, expected to be $3.7 this year....a losing proposition for Pierce

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 09:48:12 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
It may not be pragmatic, but I'd love to see the C's offer PP a bit more than the MLE, and have a handshake agreement that if it doesn't look like the C's will sniff the playoffs that they'll move him to a contender.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 09:52:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

after he got his farewell , you think he will want to comeback? 

He will be back as a scout or something later =] .Well maybe, he is from the LA area.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 09:55:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Hypothetically, would resigning DJ at the max and signing Pierce be enough to get them over that hump? As much as Pierce is an upgrade for them, I still don't think that'd be enough for them.

I was just thinking about that. I don't know, really. I think the biggest improvement that team could have beyond health for CP3, Blake, and Deandre for the entire playoffs is a series of trustfalls or something. Paul Pierce is a lockerroom rock, but I don't think he's a culture changer for them.

Maybe I'm wrong though. He's gonna go for Doc, cuz Doc is asking. Doc Rivers needs more allies in that lockerroom. Maybe Pierce is enough.

But I'm still wondering about Pierce's skillset too. He's been best as a stretch 4 for more than 2 years now. I think on a team like Houston, Golden State, Chicago, Washington (again), or New Orleans he'd be a lot more useful. On LA, he'll be back to the 3, where he's been less efficient, and where his defense suffers.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 09:57:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Doc should have offered Pierce a contract last off-season.  If I was PP, I'd tell the Clippers to pound salt at this point.

I can see the appeal, though.  He'd be playing in front of his home town, for a contender, with a coach that he respects.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 10:00:03 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

I was just thinking about that. I don't know, really. I think the biggest improvement that team could have beyond health for CP3, Blake, and Deandre for the entire playoffs is a series of trustfalls or something. Paul Pierce is a lockerroom rock, but I don't think he's a culture changer for them.

Maybe I'm wrong though. He's gonna go for Doc, cuz Doc is asking. Doc Rivers needs more allies in that lockerroom. Maybe Pierce is enough.

But I'm still wondering about Pierce's skillset too. He's been best as a stretch 4 for more than 2 years now. I think on a team like Houston, Golden State, Chicago, Washington (again), or New Orleans he'd be a lot more useful. On LA, he'll be back to the 3, where he's been less efficient, and where his defense suffers.
I have heard many fans say they want to see Pierce retire as a Celtic.  has anyone ever heard Ainge say the same thing? 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 10:08:37 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I have heard many fans say they want to see Pierce retire as a Celtic.  has anyone ever heard Ainge say the same thing? 

"I too, would like to see Paul Pierce retire as a Celtic. That would be great. We are all attached to Paul. He’s been great for the city, the franchise, each of us individually, he’s been a true pro."

In inimitable Ainge fashion, he of course said these things while Pierce was still a Celtic...then traded him a few months later. But let's not split hairs.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 10:33:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
PP will likely retire a Celtic but that doesn't mean he has to play in order to do so.  he can play out what's left of his useful years for contenders and then sign a 1-day contract here as a retirement gesture.

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 11:51:45 PM »

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Clippers sign DJ to a max deal, I was under the impression that they'd be at the luxury tax threshold and unable to use any exceptions including the mid-level. If that's the case, that means Pierce would walk away from millions of dollars and be playing for the minimum in LA. That, or, the Clippers would have to work out a trade with Washington to make it work.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 12:15:55 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
If this is true, I'll no longer be able to cheer for Paul Pierce.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 12:18:42 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the Clippers sign DJ to a max deal, I was under the impression that they'd be at the luxury tax threshold and unable to use any exceptions including the mid-level. If that's the case, that means Pierce would walk away from millions of dollars and be playing for the minimum in LA. That, or, the Clippers would have to work out a trade with Washington to make it work.
Perhaps they could play with the timing of the deals? I have no idea if that would work
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 01:34:29 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I mean, you say his 'true home' in the sense that he'll get his number hung up here and will be regarded (rightfully) as a Celtics great, but Pierce has more ties to the Clippers than the Celtics as far as players, staff, culture, and short-term professional goals are concerned:

"This whole transition, man, we came in as strangers and bonded as brothers," said Garnett, a person Rondo has previously suggested was his closest friend on the team. "And I say that with Glen [Davis], Kendrick [Perkins], Tony Allen, with Eddie House and [James Posey], just a connection with what it is.

"When Ray [Allen] left [for Miami last summer], it was hard for everybody there. We saw Doc [Rivers] leave [for Los Angeles last month], that blew us out of the water. It's kind of like looking up at the wave coming. And now we're here, so I can only imagine what Do's going through.
http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/9493680/paul-pierce-kevin-garnett-lament-leaving-rajon-rondo-behind

Look at this roster. It's from the last year Pierce was a Boston Celtic.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2013.html

Is Pierce going to effectively retire (because that's exactly what it would be) to hang out with Brandon Bass, Sullinger, and Avery Bradley? To get the successively waning adoration of hometown fans watching Pierce look like an old guy for 20 minutes a night, if that, while the C's try to develop new players? Instead of being an old dude who can hit important shots for a playoff team over 20 minutes a night? I don't think that's a fair thing to ask of him, and I don't really think any Celtics fan wants him to do more than the one-day contract, if they look into their heart of hearts.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.