Author Topic: How Good Are the Cavs?  (Read 4036 times)

Re: How Good Are the Cavs?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 08:54:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Which team is better, this Cavs team, or the 2007 version that made the Finals and got swept?

2007 supporting cast:

- Big Z
- Gooden
- Larry Hughes
- Varejao
- Sasha Pavlovic
- Eric Snow

2015 supporting cast:

- Irving (severely limited)
- Thompson
- Mozgov
- J.R. Smith
- Shumpert
- Dellevadova

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: How Good Are the Cavs?
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2015, 08:58:37 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
It's not just LeBron.  They're getting excellent play from almost all of their role players. The defense has been good.

A couple things

1. Yes, the role players have done well.  Matthew Dellevadova, a third stringer on most healthy rosters, has given them decent minutes.  Tristan Thompson has beasted the boards.  Mozgov has held steady in the frontcourt against some tough opponents.  J.R. Smith has blown up a few times, as he is wont to do.  Shumpert has played good defense and hit some big shots.

LeBron's earlier Cavs teams got solid contributions from role players as well, though.  Nonetheless, those teams, like this team, were very one-dimensional.  LeBron did all the heavy lifting.  When those Cavs teams ran into a quality opponent with depth and balance, they lost.  This one will too.

2. The defense has been good.  But like Partnow says, have they faced a single opponent with even a good, let alone great, offense?  The Hawks were very good on defense at one point this season, but they haven't been good on that end in quite a while.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. 

I'm like most people here - not convinced that the Cavs are an elite team.  But objectively, they're not getting the credit they deserve either.  I mean they're basically a lock to go the finals.  Getting to the finals is earned, even if the path is easy.

I'm disappointed with the way things have transpired in the ECF.  I believed that the Hawks were capable of playing much better than they've shown in game 1 and 2.  I figured they would fare OK on offense with their ball movement and ability to shoot the 3 (which hasn't been the case), but where I'm thoroughly disappointed is with their defense.  They're trying to do too much - collapse on LeBron AND shut down the perimeter shooters.  Can't do both.  I'm not impressed with the quality of Atlanta's coaching this series. 

GSW will be their first true test - and I agree - the first good (great) offensive team the Cavs will have faced.