Author Topic: How Good Are the Cavs?  (Read 4022 times)

Re: How Good Are the Cavs?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 05:12:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Cavs have had it easy this year (and Lebron the last several), no doubt, but the west will not be amazing forever. In the 80s, the east was ridiculous and the Lakers were able to march to the finals every year. I've never been crazy about changing rules just because of how something is going right now - it all has a way of evening out.

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 05:16:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Cavs have had it easy this year (and Lebron the last several), no doubt, but the west will not be amazing forever. In the 80s, the east was ridiculous and the Lakers were able to march to the finals every year. I've never been crazy about changing rules just because of how something is going right now - it all has a way of evening out.

But why should we have to tolerate periods of imbalance at all?  Why not just do away with conferences, which are an outdated concept, and arrange the playoffs according to record? 

I think divisions can be kept and have some value in keeping regional rivalries going.  But otherwise, I don't see the point in keeping conferences.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 05:19:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Yes, the cavs are good because of Lebron, Irving, whatever you want.
How many post does it takes to give credit to this team? I found lately we talk more about the cavs than the Celtics.
Can we move on please?  ;D

They're one of the few remaining teams in the playoffs.  They also feature the league's trademark superstar.

Many of us pay attention to the NBA as a whole, not just what's going on with the Celtics.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 05:26:03 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

But why should we have to tolerate periods of imbalance at all?  Why not just do away with conferences, which are an outdated concept, and arrange the playoffs according to record? 

I think divisions can be kept and have some value in keeping regional rivalries going.  But otherwise, I don't see the point in keeping conferences.
yup

Plus, the west has been better overall than the east since jordan finally left the bulls

The east sometimes has a legit contender, but it's only top heavy

It's been too long, and there's no sign of it coming to an end

Most of the best young talent is out west. Davis, wiggins, curry, etc.
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 05:40:49 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Cavs aren't that good, but LeBron is. It's also helped a lot that the Hawks have almost universally failed to show up in this series.

That said, I hope the NBA gets its wish—a Warriors/Cavs Finals—and that the Warriors rip the Cavs to shreds.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 05:45:34 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378

Spot on---We need to start a thread and a Movement about how the Celtics were the Team of the 80's---NOT LA.....The East was so ridiculously Stacked--and Boston had to not only play those teams while trying to get to the Finals---they had to play those teams MORE TIMES during the regular season....and Yet--The Celtics even had the better regular season record during the entire Decade, than the Lakers did....If roles were reversed, the C's would have won like 6 Titles in the 80's
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 05:52:49 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
How many post does it takes to give credit to this team? I found lately we talk more about the cavs than the Celtics.

They're one of the few remaining teams in the playoffs.  They also feature the league's trademark superstar.

Many of us pay attention to the NBA as a whole, not just what's going on with the Celtics.

I also pay attention to the NBA as a whole.
It's just that I have an indigestion of Cavs today and I feel I'm about to throw an elbow and get a flagrant 2.
 ;D

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 06:02:16 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
It's not just LeBron.  They're getting excellent play from almost all of their role players - Mosgov, Thompson, JR Smith, Shumpert, Delly.  Their defense has been good.  They're making their open shots and knocking down their 3's at a great clip.  They're winning the 50/50 balls.  The last time I checked, when your role players are playing well in addition to your star(s), you're a good team. 

They deserve a lot of credit, quite honestly.  Especially since they're on the verge of a sweep in the ECF.  But it's difficult to discount the fact that the East is undeniably weak.  Downright pathetic really. Compare the paths between GSW and the Cavs. 

GSW: NO, Memphis (arguably the 2nd best team in the entire league), and the Rockets (who deserve a lot of credit for beating a strong Clippers team that managed to knock off the mighty Spurs).
Cavs: A sub-500 team in the Celtics, an offensively-anemic Bulls team, and a banged-up and underperforming Hawks team.

No contest.

The Cavs deserve more respect than they've been getting, but they're a good team, not an elite one.  GSW will win in 6.

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 06:21:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
It's not just LeBron.  They're getting excellent play from almost all of their role players. The defense has been good.

A couple things

1. Yes, the role players have done well.  Matthew Dellevadova, a third stringer on most healthy rosters, has given them decent minutes.  Tristan Thompson has beasted the boards.  Mozgov has held steady in the frontcourt against some tough opponents.  J.R. Smith has blown up a few times, as he is wont to do.  Shumpert has played good defense and hit some big shots.

LeBron's earlier Cavs teams got solid contributions from role players as well, though.  Nonetheless, those teams, like this team, were very one-dimensional.  LeBron did all the heavy lifting.  When those Cavs teams ran into a quality opponent with depth and balance, they lost.  This one will too.

2. The defense has been good.  But like Partnow says, have they faced a single opponent with even a good, let alone great, offense?  The Hawks were very good on defense at one point this season, but they haven't been good on that end in quite a while.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 07:09:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

yup

Plus, the west has been better overall than the east since jordan finally left the bulls

just to add a new wrinkle to this debate.

http://www.theonion.com/article/debate-raging-as-to-whether-michael-jordan-or-lebr-35358
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 07:30:56 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I think they suck.  Weak Conference Finals team.  I don't think they're as good as the Heat teams of recent years (which I've been saying all season) but the Cavs do have the best supporting players that LeBron has ever seen.  It's an actual team.  It's not just 3-4 guys with gaping holes all over the place like LeBron is used to.

A healthy Wizards team would have wiped the floor with them in my opinion.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2015, 07:38:10 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

yup

just to add a new wrinkle to this debate.

http://www.theonion.com/article/debate-raging-as-to-whether-michael-jordan-or-lebr-35358
TP good sir!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 07:45:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

and many of us do not.  Personally, I don't care for the NBA product that hypes individual players over teams and has anointed young players just entering the league as superstars before they won anything since Jordan's first retirement (Shaq and Lebron as the 2 prime examples)

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 08:00:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

and many of us do not.  Personally, I don't care for the NBA product that hypes individual players over teams and has anointed young players just entering the league as superstars before they won anything since Jordan's first retirement (Shaq and Lebron as the 2 prime examples)

Right, and that's fine, but posting about one of the few remaining teams in the playoffs in the "Around the NBA" section shouldn't merit a response of "Why are we still talking about this team?" as if the Cavs stopped being relevant after they swept the Celtics.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 08:31:26 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
There good enough to get to the finals. And good enough to get the crap beat out of them by Golden State which will be so awesome hashtag can't wait.