Author Topic: How Good Are the Cavs?  (Read 4016 times)

How Good Are the Cavs?
« on: May 25, 2015, 03:16:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Seth Partnow had a series of thoughts on the Cavs that I thought were well stated.

Quote from: Seth Partnow
This is where I get accused of "hating" but here goes.

1. You can only beat who they put in front of you.

2. The Cavs have done that.

3. That's certainly praiseworthy.

4. We still have to evaluate how well they've played relative to likely Finals opponent (eg Warriors)

5. Part of that is examining how good opponents have been at the time of series.

6. Celtics weren't good. This is unarguable.

7. Bulls weren't especially good by second round by virtue of health, rotation strangeness, etc

8. Hawks haven't been especially good for a while, even before injuries. Struggled with BKL, edged a WAS team a "contender" probably handles

9. So while Cavs have advanced in fairly straight forward fashion, they haven't been especially impressive in doing so.

10. Their offense has been in equal parts ugly and unsustainable in the parts that have worked well.

11. They've played ok to good defense, but their overall numbers on that end overstate how good they've been because of poor opponents.

12. Which leads to a sort of illusion that they are better without Love because defense, when they haven't played against even a good O yet.

13. To return to the Hawks, a team is sort of by definition not very good offensively if you can stymie them simply by going under every PnR

This aligns with what my feelings have been on the Cavs.  Give them credit for beating the teams that have been put in front of them.  Give LeBron credit, too, for carrying a team, that at this point is basically on par with the Knicks, all the way to the brink of the Finals.

Still, the Cavs don't strike me as a very good team, especially not with Love and Kyrie missing or hobbled due to injury.  The East is as weak this season as it's ever been, and the Cavs have not been truly tested yet in the playoffs despite being in the conference finals. 

All but one or two of the Western playoff teams would have provided a greater challenge for the Cavs than any of the East teams they've faced so far.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: How Good Are the Cavs?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think the Cavs are very good when Kyrie is out or severely injured.  I think comparing the talent surrounding the Cavs to the talent on the Knicks isn't that far off.

That said, Lebron is amazing, far and away the best player in the NBA.  Both the Bulls and Wizards are more talented than the current Cavs team (without Love and with an injured Kyrie).  Lebron almost single-highhandedly crushed both teams.

I don't think that Lebron can hang with the Warriors by himself.  No one man should be able to beat an excellent team.  If anybody can do it, though, it's Lebron.  Because of that, I think the Cavs will win at least two against GSW.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 03:26:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I think the Cavs will win one at home against the Warriors.

LeBron has won a road game in like, 23 straight series.  I think that ends in the Finals.

The Warriors are such a good defensive team, and the Cavs have nobody at all to guard Curry (who is a flamethrower right now).  LeBron can't cover Curry.  The Warriors, on the other hand, can throw Klay, Dray, Barnes, Iggy, and even Livingston at LeBron.  They also have Bogut manning the paint.

The only way I see the Finals becoming a close match is if the Warriors suffer an injury to one of their key guys, e.g. if Bogut is significantly hobbled, Barnes or Klay misses games, Dray can't play, etc.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 03:28:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
These playoffs have provided a great argument, in my view, for playoff seeding reform.

The earlier rounds would have been less interesting, but I think we'd end up with a much more interesting 3rd round and Finals, which should be the goal, since those are the games the most people watch.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 03:28:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
LeBron can't cover Curry.

Delladoeva will draw the assignment, but I think Lebron could cover Curry fine.  The problem would be that he'd expend so much energy on that end that his offense would suffer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 03:40:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I just remember that beat down LeBron put on the Warriors in Cleveland. ......it was as bad or worse than whipping Boston took.  Curry couldn't 'to hit a shot to save his life that game .

LeBron was basically playing playground basketball last  night .......called YOU cover the ball.....who ever had the ball , it seems LeBron was in on the defense ......like 75 % of the time ....just super huan strength to play like 45 minutes non stop hero offense and defense...smh.....unreal :o.

After last night .....  LeBron beat the Hawks one on five .........I'm SURE it will not be a cake walk for Warriors .

I think who ever Wins the first game of the series ......will win the title .

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 03:53:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
LeBron coasts though most games in regular season....he only plays hard enough to help his team win.

The Cavs. At the end of season were in another league better than Hawks , Wizards etc.

Cavs were not put together by a Lebron to just compete , but to be the best team in the NBA......

I still think with Cavs big three 100 % healthy .......they are top 2 or 3 team in te league.....no natter how bad the rest of the east is.

The thing about a LeBron being in the east......is he can coast ,  not get injured ,  lay back and still get a good seed.

If LeBron was in the West .....he d have to play a 100 % effort a lot to get the record up near the top of the heap.

I think the big advantage a Lebron has , is being able to save his body play n in the east .

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 03:58:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
LeBron can't cover Curry.

Delladoeva will draw the assignment, but I think Lebron could cover Curry fine.  The problem would be that he'd expend so much energy on that end that his offense would suffer.

I tend to think that LeBron could cover anybody in the league.  Surely that was true once.  I'm not certain of that anymore.  But yeah, he'd expend so much of his energy on defense that it'd be tough for him to also carry the team on the other end.

Curry will utterly destroy Delly.  Guess the key for the Cavs will be preventing Klay, Barnes, and Dray from scoring as well.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 04:13:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't think the Cavs are very good when Kyrie is out or severely injured.  I think comparing the talent surrounding the Cavs to the talent on the Knicks isn't that far off.

That said, Lebron is amazing, far and away the best player in the NBA.  Both the Bulls and Wizards are more talented than the current Cavs team (without Love and with an injured Kyrie).  Lebron almost single-highhandedly crushed both teams.

I don't think that Lebron can hang with the Warriors by himself.  No one man should be able to beat an excellent team.  If anybody can do it, though, it's Lebron.  Because of that, I think the Cavs will win at least two against GSW.
Steph Curry is a full-blown superstar now, but they also have a vastly superior team surrounding him and exceptional defense.  That includes the all-important defensive center.  Despite making all-defense 2nd team, healthy Bogut doesn't get enough credit.   Warriors have the two key elements to the contender formula:  Elite scorer and elite defensive big.   They fill out the gaps with additional great talent and a fantastic bench. 

Even LeBron in full Hercules mode probably isn't enough to stop the Warriors this year.

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 04:32:39 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I would bet heavily on someone trying to HURT Curry (think Artest knee-ing Ray Allen in 2010 finals)...Cause, that's the kind of Scumbagg players the Cavs have.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 04:34:15 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Q: How good are the Cavs?

A: Matthew Dellavedova is playing 40mpg.

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 04:58:16 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Yes, the cavs are good because of Lebron, Irving, whatever you want.
How many post does it takes to give credit to this team? I found lately we talk more about the cavs than the Celtics.
Can we move on please?  ;D

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 05:02:18 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Phosita, i think they are a THOSITA

T=team

Hehe
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 05:06:31 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
These playoffs have provided a great argument, in my view, for playoff seeding reform.

The earlier rounds would have been less interesting, but I think we'd end up with a much more interesting 3rd round and Finals, which should be the goal, since those are the games the most people watch.
i agree with the reform

Before this year, i thought it would be crazy to change it

But the playoffs would be so much better if it were restructured

Plus then we'd get to see lebron actually have some competition in the earlier rounds. Sink or swim, instead of floating
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 05:07:37 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
I would bet heavily on someone trying to HURT Curry (think Artest knee-ing Ray Allen in 2010 finals)...Cause, that's the kind of Scumbagg players the Cavs have.
delevedova is gonna try

No doubt

P.S. Sorry for the multiple posts,  but being a newbie and all, i'm not sure how to quote multiple posts. Any help would be greatly appreciated
I trust Danny Ainge