Author Topic: Danny Ainge tells Isaiah Thomas to give him suggestions on free agents  (Read 6989 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If the Cavs were doing this with Lebron, 3/4 of the fans would be criticizing him. ;)

Or, more accurately, when the Cavs were doing this with Lebron, 3/4 of the fans were criticizing him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
If the Cavs were doing this with Lebron, 3/4 of the fans would be criticizing him. ;)

Or, more accurately, when the Cavs were doing this with Lebron, 3/4 of the fans were criticizing him.
welcome to the internet.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

I think after he won 2 championships, people backed off.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think after he won 2 championships, people backed off.

Not on CelticsBlog. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It's pretty clear that Ainge is simply asking for advice.  With Lebron, there is the belief that he is dictating roster moves.  Was Verajao's bad contract a demand by James or was it bad management trying to cater to Lebron?  Will Tristan Thompson get overpaid because Lebron wants him to be overpaid?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

If the Celtics give Isaiah Thomas the same kind of control in Boston that Lebron James has in Cleveland, I can assure you that it's not Isaiah who I'll be criticizing.

Luckily, I feel fairly confident that this isn't going to happen.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think if IT's input equals some on and off the court Intel on a FA why not ask. Players know and hear far more about other players than GMs and scouts.

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

I think there is a bit of a difference here. Lebron was scheming behind the scenes to manipulate the situations and rosters in both Cleveland and Miami.

I would expect and hope every team that has a star on it that they include them in deciding who they should go after, at least to a certain extent. i'm willing to bet Pierce wouldn't have been thrilled(at least at first) to see we signed Ron Artest.   

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Nicely done Danny.
This guy is so clever...

I really don't love this. Don't over inflate IT's ego. He's a great 6th man but now he will think it's his team and he should start and he should play hero ball. Not sure why Ainge is giving him even the illusion of power.....

Because he is the best player on the team, and because it is time to show FAs that Boston respects its players.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
IT and Kevin Love are very close friends. They played AAU together and Love slept at IT's house and vice versa.

So yeah you can bet your ass he'll be recruiting for us this offseason.

Ahahahah that means Kelly Olynyk is gonna have to go for Love's sakes.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Danny is going to listen to IT input , he has FA period and the draft to obtain a defensive oriented big man.

WCS, Upshaw, Mickey, Holmes

one or two of these guys should be available when we pick . For WCS we would have to trade up. Don't think he gets past the Kings

with FA he has Mcgee (who is only effective in spurts),  Koufus (unless we overpay will sign with a better team or takeover Gasol spot).  I mean the options are not that great via FA. So the Celts need to grab at least one of Upshaw, Mickey, Holmes imo

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Apples, meet oranges.

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Thomas lived in a hotel after being acquired in a February trade with the Suns, and he has still yet to purchase or even lease a home in Boston, so it has been difficult to get past a feeling of temporariness. But a recent conversation with Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge was both comforting and compelling. ?Danny said if there?s any free agent out there I?m interested in, to let him know,? Thomas said by telephone. ?That has me excited. For him to ask for my input means a lot, because it means I?m definitely, right now, a part of the future, and they also value your word and what you think about the game of basketball. It means a lot, and it?s a mutual respect we have. Now, hopefully, we can get a few guys.?

He went on to say he wants a defensive minded big in FA or the draft. He didn't mention names , but Jordan or WCS are the best available rim protectors. Maybe Larry Sanders if he comes cheap and wants to play again.

Wanting a defensive big - code for - no scorers taking away my shots ;D

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Adding to this topic its interesting as a twitter follower to see all the players and celebs he gets to play in his charity "zeke-end" tournament. He seems to have a good network of players around the league. He even had Mayweather do a guest appearance.

The biggest draw to asking IT for help is his relationship with Love.

DA is obliviously trying to add what even advantage he can in the hunt for a big FA. First rumor is he is willing to over pay an injured Matthews to get LMA and now involving IT to try to persuaded love.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
IT has been in the Western Conference, and has an opponent's take on the folks over there.  Maybe that insight can be helpful.

No chance in Hades that Ainge lets anyone else thing they're in charge on this roster.  When we had notable stars to manage, he was reportedly in touch with them and kept them in the loop, but he was clearly doing the GM-ing, and talking to players about players is simply part of good scouting.