Author Topic: Danny Ainge tells Isaiah Thomas to give him suggestions on free agents  (Read 6988 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Thomas lived in a hotel after being acquired in a February trade with the Suns, and he has still yet to purchase or even lease a home in Boston, so it has been difficult to get past a feeling of temporariness. But a recent conversation with Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge was both comforting and compelling. ?Danny said if there?s any free agent out there I?m interested in, to let him know,? Thomas said by telephone. ?That has me excited. For him to ask for my input means a lot, because it means I?m definitely, right now, a part of the future, and they also value your word and what you think about the game of basketball. It means a lot, and it?s a mutual respect we have. Now, hopefully, we can get a few guys.?

He went on to say he wants a defensive minded big in FA or the draft. He didn't mention names , but Jordan or WCS are the best available rim protectors. Maybe Larry Sanders if he comes cheap and wants to play again.

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Nicely done Danny.
This guy is so clever...

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Nicely done Danny.
This guy is so clever...

Agree, ^

IMO IT is looking to belong, after traveling to so many teams in the league. He must want to know where his future is. You're right, Danny is so clever.

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
If IT embraces the 6th man role here, he could be here for a looong time.

If IT starts complaining about not starting, then he should be traded.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Being a starter is overrated...being on the floor at crunch time is a better measuring stick of what you are worth to a team.

This team has a strong tradition of 6th men.  Those who come off the bench with pride and take over a game, not just kill time until [insert name] returns to the floor. 

And when they are on the bench, they are working with the other players to help improve their game.  Or, in this case, working with management to suggest adding players to the team.

I like IT...as stated, if he embraces that role, then hopefully he'll be a Celtic for a long time.

Rak

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
Nicely done Danny.
This guy is so clever...

I really don't love this. Don't over inflate IT's ego. He's a great 6th man but now he will think it's his team and he should start and he should play hero ball. Not sure why Ainge is giving him even the illusion of power.....

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Nicely done Danny.
This guy is so clever...

I really don't love this. Don't over inflate IT's ego. He's a great 6th man but now he will think it's his team and he should start and he should play hero ball. Not sure why Ainge is giving him even the illusion of power.....

IT is a very popular player in the NBA circles, he is friends with a lot of players.  If he is happy and believes in the future here and spreads that to free agents, I see no downside. 

Cue the Fireworks...
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
Nicely done Danny.
This guy is so clever...

I would agree with what you said, but it is not the case here. Danny made it clear to IT that he can be the 6th man of the Celtics and carry on the legacy of the great 6th man in this franchise. Now he just mark his words with action.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
IT and Kevin Love are very close friends. They played AAU together and Love slept at IT's house and vice versa.

So yeah you can bet your ass he'll be recruiting for us this offseason.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If IT embraces the 6th man role here, he could be here for a looong time.

If IT starts complaining about not starting, then he should be traded.

I have to think involving IT this offseason is in part to give him a deeper connection to the greater good of the team. This will hopefully keep him on board with the super sub role. His production and contract make him the 100% ideal fit for this role.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
So I guess the push for Love is going to be real. I can't say I love the guy (no pun intended), but he's still a bona fide star and someone who can be at the very least, a piece on a contender.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
IT4 bring us Cousins and Love.
Mark Wahlberg bring us Butler.
DA find a way to fit all that in the cap space.
I think we are good to go, well at least in my dreams  ;D

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I think this is simply Ainge using all of his resources.  IT played in the West his whole career so he has a different look at guys out there.  If Ainge can get a different perspective on guys, he will. 

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
hope this isn't an indication of "building around" IT. our 6th man...

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
A Love and IT pick and roll would be pretty great. I think that is what he is telling Danny.

If Thomas is helpful in getting Love, his trade was the biggest steal in a while.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19