Author Topic: My Last Offseason Scenario  (Read 1284 times)

My Last Offseason Scenario
« on: May 25, 2015, 01:07:23 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Here's my last semi-realistic bounce back scenario:

Okay to start it all off I'm running off most mock drafts that have Lyles going from 17-20.

So at 16 we take SF Sam Dekker because it's entirely realistic that he falls to us in this position and he fills a need while being BPA. We seen what Stevens has done with a similar player in Hayward and it would be extremely interesting to see how Dekker would play in our fast paced offense.

From then on we would Use Sullinger and 28 to move up to grab Lyles. Lyles is a very versatile yet underrated player that got lost in the mix in Kentucky. Has all the skils to not only fill Sullinger's starting spot, but thrive in Stevens system because he has shown time and time again at Kentucky that he's versatile enough to operate on the wing while also having a smooth jumpshot that he uses very effectively and he is athletic enough to keep up with our fast paced offense. People are talking about the fact that he is not good defensively, but in reality if we compare DWS, which are usually a good indications of the caliber of defender a player is, he isn't bad at all. In comparison KAT who is considered one of the best defenders in the draft had a 2.9 to Lyles 2.3 DWS which isn't a ridiculous gap. He has a 7'2" wingspan and would really benefit from Stevens philosophies as far as team defense.

So at this point after the draft and before free agency we have:

PG: Marcus Smart
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Sam Dekker
PF: Trey Lyles
C: Tyler Zeller

So now the most attainable and best available option for us is C Greg Monroe. Lyles fits well because he spaces the floor when Monroe works the block. Both are good rebounders and all around versatile offensive players. The foreseeable problem is defense. There's also an upside to this that nobody is seeing. Monroe is finally playing at his natural position and isn't forced to cover quicker/PFs that take him outside of his element that lies within the paint. While playing C in 2011-13 Greg Monroe averaged a little above a block per game and posted 2.7 and 3.2 respectively which are both good values as far as DWS go. In comparison Jimmy Butler whom most would agree is a very good defender put up 3 DWS exactly this year in his best year yet as one of the best two way players in the league. So as far as defense goes I think people are neglecting the fact that Monroe was clearly playing out of position and would benefit a lot from playing in Stevens team concept.

So we go out and give Monroe a max and our lineup is:

C: Greg Monroe

So here's my finished product that I think would easily make the playoffs and with our ridiculous stockpile of picks accompanied with our additions of young talent would allow us to either add onto our young core with draft picks or pair some picks and young players like Dekker, Smart, Bradley, or Young to trade for a star in 2016.

Re: My Last Offseason Scenario
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 01:45:45 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Here's my last semi-realistic bounce back scenario:

Okay to start it all off I'm running off most mock drafts that have Lyles going from 17-20.

So at 16 we take SF Sam Dekker because it's entirely realistic that he falls to us in this position and he fills a need while being BPA. We seen what Stevens has done with a similar player in Hayward and it would be extremely interesting to see how Dekker would play in our fast paced offense.

From then on we would Use Sullinger and 28 to move up to grab Lyles. Lyles is a very versatile yet underrated player that got lost in the mix in Kentucky. Has all the skils to not only fill Sullinger's starting spot, but thrive in Stevens system because he has shown time and time again at Kentucky that he's versatile enough to operate on the wing while also having a smooth jumpshot that he uses very effectively and he is athletic enough to keep up with our fast paced offense. People are talking about the fact that he is not good defensively, but in reality if we compare DWS, which are usually a good indications of the caliber of defender a player is, he isn't bad at all. In comparison KAT who is considered one of the best defenders in the draft had a 2.9 to Lyles 2.3 DWS which isn't a ridiculous gap. He has a 7'2" wingspan and would really benefit from Stevens philosophies as far as team defense.

So at this point after the draft and before free agency we have:

C: Tyler Zeller

So now the most attainable and best available option for us is C Greg Monroe. Lyles fits well because he spaces the floor when Monroe works the block. Both are good rebounders and all around versatile offensive players. The foreseeable problem is defense. There's also an upside to this that nobody is seeing. Monroe is finally playing at his natural position and isn't forced to cover quicker/PFs that take him outside of his element that lies within the paint. While playing C in 2011-13 Greg Monroe averaged a little above a block per game and posted 2.7 and 3.2 respectively which are both good values as far as DWS go. In comparison Jimmy Butler whom most would agree is a very good defender put up 3 DWS exactly this year in his best year yet as one of the best two way players in the league. So as far as defense goes I think people are neglecting the fact that Monroe was clearly playing out of position and would benefit a lot from playing in Stevens team concept.

So we go out and give Monroe a max and our lineup is:

C: Greg Monroe

So here's my finished product that I think would easily make the playoffs and with our ridiculous stockpile of picks accompanied with our additions of young talent would allow us to either add onto our young core with draft picks or pair some picks and young players like Dekker, Smart, Bradley, or Young to trade for a star in 2016.
I'm all for putting Monroe at C with max dollars and I think if at C he is an avg defender. That being said, lyles and dekker are two of my least favorite players in the draft mostly because  I have no idea how they will do in the NBA.

That being said in the 16-20 range there isn't a whole lot more exciting talent unless someone drops.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
All possible and likely for falls and 1 trade up. Though I'd go after different players in this draft. Monroe isn't a bad big man to sign.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 01:00:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not particularly thrilled with the proposal -- with or without Monroe signing.  Dekker and Lyles as 2 rookie starters is nothing to be excited about.  in fact, if this actually occurred, C's would be deep in lotteryville.

also, don't agree Lyles will be better than Sully, nevermind giving up another first with Sully to draft Lyles.

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 01:05:53 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
That team looks lottery bound... sorry.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 01:09:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I agree with the OP in liking Lyles but Dekker not so much.  I am not sure Dekker will be better than Crowder.  If Lyles is available at 16, why not just take him.  Keep Sullinger and try to get a better Wing with one of the surplus picks in 2016.  If we can get Monroe, great.  I think his upside is Al Jefferson but that is still a pretty good piece.

There is no need to do this all at once.