Author Topic: Scott Skiles makes Tobias Harris available?  (Read 17685 times)

Scott Skiles makes Tobias Harris available?
« on: May 24, 2015, 11:04:25 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
With news that Scott Skiles is the front runner to take over as head coach of the Magic, I read this report that states that Skiles and Harris had a bad relationship in Milwaukee.  Is this true, has anyone else heard this? 

I would be interested in Harris for $11-12 million a year as I like his upside and ability to play the 3 and the stretch 4 but I and just assumed Orlando would match any offer.  I can't find anything else out there about their bad relationship.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/05/23/toronto-raptors-rumors-scott-skiles-to-orlando-magic-will-free-up-tobias-harris/
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

Re: Scott Skiles makes Tobias Harris available?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 11:23:22 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
With news that Scott Skiles is the front runner to take over as head coach of the Magic, I read this report that states that Skiles and Harris had a bad relationship in Milwaukee.  Is this true, has anyone else heard this? 

I would be interested in Harris for $11-12 million a year as I like his upside and ability to play the 3 and the stretch 4 but I and just assumed Orlando would match any offer.  I can't find anything else out there about their bad relationship.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/05/23/toronto-raptors-rumors-scott-skiles-to-orlando-magic-will-free-up-tobias-harris/
Harris is getting the max. He is 22 years old and avgd 17 ppg this year.

The max is only 16 mil tho so with cap escalation Id do it anyway.

He gives you scoring from the 3. Which was one of our biggest weaknesses this year.

I think if you can trade G Wallace away with 28 and some 2s then sign Monroe and Harris to max deals then deal something like 16 or Sully or KO to Chicago for Gibson.

Then you have
Smart IT
Bradley Turner Young
Harris Crowder
Gibson Sully KO
Monroe Zeller

I think that gives you good defense with Smart Bradley Gibson Crowder all playing big minutes and you also have IT, Monroe, Sully, KO, Harris and hopefully Young to solve the scoring issue.

plus it makes it really easy to move one or two of Bradley, Sully, KO, Zeller.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:31:33 AM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 11:28:50 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Do you think Orlando would match a max offer?  Did Skiles and Harris really have issues in Milwaukee? 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 11:32:59 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I would think it was maturity issues if there were any issues. But in Harris' rookie year he was very young got in 42 games at almost 12mpg. I would think that meant Skiles believed in him or else why play a 19 year old that much. Skiles to me means Harris is staying not leaving.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 11:33:47 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

He gives you scoring from the 3. Which was one of our biggest weaknesses this year.

I think if you can trade G Wallace away with 28 and some 2s then sign Monroe and Harris to max deals then deal something like 16 or Sully or KO to Chicago for Gibson.

Then you have
Smart IT
Bradley Turner Young
Harris Crowder
Gibson Sully KO
Monroe Zeller

I think that gives you good defense with Smart Bradley Gibson Crowder all playing big minutes and you also have IT, Monroe, Sully, KO, Harris and hopefully Young to solve the scoring issue.

plus it makes it really easy to move one or two of Bradley, Sully, KO, Zeller.

I like that team.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 11:40:30 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I like harris. I don't really watch the Magic but i do follow stats and he's had some ridiculous stretches, particularly towards the end of the season (done that for 2 years straight now). I don't think he's good defensively, but we're so short on talent on both ends of the floor that it'd be nice to have a solid scoring option.

I think a S&T could work since we have tons of cap space (or rather, "trade exceptions"). Plus, maybe the Magic would be interested in a guy like KO? They have Dipo and EP, so their backcourt is set and they have Vucevic to man the middle. KO at the 4 could work, and he's cheaper.
- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 12:30:21 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I like harris. I don't really watch the Magic but i do follow stats and he's had some ridiculous stretches, particularly towards the end of the season (done that for 2 years straight now). I don't think he's good defensively, but we're so short on talent on both ends of the floor that it'd be nice to have a solid scoring option.

I think a S&T could work since we have tons of cap space (or rather, "trade exceptions"). Plus, maybe the Magic would be interested in a guy like KO? They have Dipo and EP, so their backcourt is set and they have Vucevic to man the middle. KO at the 4 could work, and he's cheaper.
If the Magic are interested in a guy like KO, they can use the #5 to take Porzingis who has much more potential than KO.     

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 12:47:12 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think the bad relationship stuff is only speculation ... based on Skiles' final season in Milwaukee Tobias Harris went from starting SF to in and out of the lineup altogether. Receiving only a small amount of minutes when he did play.

I don't think there was any bad blood there. Just a coach searching for a balanced lineup. Mbah a Moute's defense (or Marquis Daniels )was preferred to help compensate for other bad defenders in the lineup (undersized backcourt, lack of good interior defenders). Dunleavy worked his way in front of Harris off the bench because of Dunleavy's superior passing and outside shooting / ability to create space for Jennings and Monta.

I think it was just a mishmash roster. Lots of pieces that didn't really fit together. Skiles searching far and wide for any way to make the pieces fit together. Skiles tried something early with Harris (as a starter). Wasn't happy (with the team). Tried something different to get better balance (team). Harris was unlucky and lost PT. I think Harris would've worked his way back into the team if Skiles hadn't been fired.

It seemed to me that Skiles liked Harris' talent. His scoring ability and physicality at SF. It was just early in Harris' career and he had a lot to learn and improve on.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 12:52:42 PM by Who »

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 01:29:02 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Do you think Orlando would match a max offer?  Did Skiles and Harris really have issues in Milwaukee?
i do think theyd match
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 01:35:01 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
They will probably match everything Harris signs. He is a good player with a lot of upside, so we should definitely try anyway ;D
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 02:07:46 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
It is bad business to develop a player and then just let another team sign the player in restricted free agency. Orlando should match any offer but they should have just offered the max before the deadline. If someone offers him a shorter contract with a player option Orlando will have acted very stupid.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 02:12:54 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
It is bad business to develop a player and then just let another team sign the player in restricted free agency. Orlando should match any offer but they should have just offered the max before the deadline. If someone offers him a shorter contract with a player option Orlando will have acted very stupid.
He probably would not have signed as a player can get 1 to 2 more years by not doing an extention. Its 3 years for extentions vs by resigning 5 or signing 4 a new contract.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
He probably would not have signed as a player can get 1 to 2 more years by not doing an extention. Its 3 years for extentions vs by resigning 5 or signing 4 a new contract.

Kyrie Irving and Klay Thompson signed four and five year extensions. Orlando could have offered a four year max before the season started.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 02:32:22 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Kyrie Irving and Klay Thompson signed four and five year extensions. Orlando could have offered a four year max before the season started.
Don't you give up the rfa QO option year for that so technically the team loses a year but player gets signed sooner. Would not have made sense doing that for Harris. He isn't in the same league as Irving or Thompson.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 02:47:14 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

While Monroe isn't my first choice I think him along with some other guys will make this team good. I was thinking:

1. Trade 16, Sully/KO, future 1st, Wallace, and Young for
S+T Monroe + #8

Gives Detroit something instead of letting Monroe walk plus they seem to want to shop that pick. Gives them Sully/KO + Portis/Kaminsky to go with Drummond who is more a defense big. Future 1st + Young's potential and Wallace as filler.

2. Sign Deandre Jordan.

Smart, IT
Bradley, Turner
S. Johnson (#8), Crowder
Monroe, KO/Sully, McCullough or Mickey
Jordan, Zeller
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)