Author Topic: Smart 2nd in the league in offensive fouls drawn.  (Read 4208 times)

Re: Smart 2nd in the league in offensive fouls drawn.
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 10:00:30 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I wonder who finished first.

I think it was Kyle Lowry.
That is quite interesting actually with them finishing 1 and 2; we have been hearing Smart to Lowry comparisons all year, although I think Marcus's ceiling is way higher than Lowrys.
Way higher in what sense?  Frankly, I think Lowry is about Smarts ceiling.
Somewhere between Lowry and Wade. I've seen sparks of what Smart can do on the offensive side and it's quite impressive.

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 12:00:37 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Way more valuable than a block. Not sure about steal.

Blocks are the most overrated. What percentage of blocks are rebounded by the defensive team? 100% of steals and offensive fouls directly lead to a possession for the defense. This analysis says only 57%: http://www.82games.com/comm16.htm

Apparently, 1 in 6 blocks go out of bounds.

I don't get why offensive fouls drawn are not tracked as a major stat, yet blocks are.

I guess that makes sense. 

I guess the important thing with a block is that it's essentially the last line of defense.  The best defense of all is one in which your opponent never gets a shot off.  If no shot ever gets taken, then you can't block a shot.

That means that if you have blocked a shot, then the rest of your defense has been beaten, and you've allowed the opponent to get a shot off - and if that shot goes up, then there's a reasonably high probability that it goes in. 

So regardless of whether the block ends up leading to the ball going out of bounds, or the ball going to the offensive team again, it doesn't matter - the important thing is that shot attempt got denied, and no points went on the board.

I know it's probably not as valuable as charges / steals because as you said, if you got one of those then the block would never be needed to begin with...but I guess the desperation of the situation that leads to a successful block is what gives it such perceived value.

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 01:27:27 AM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
I wonder who finished first.

I think it was Kyle Lowry.
That is quite interesting actually with them finishing 1 and 2; we have been hearing Smart to Lowry comparisons all year, although I think Marcus's ceiling is way higher than Lowrys.
Way higher in what sense?  Frankly, I think Lowry is about Smarts ceiling.
Somewhere between Lowry and Wade. I've seen sparks of what Smart can do on the offensive side and it's quite impressive.

I totally agree with this. Marcus' upside is a poor man's Wade  who is less athletic but a better defender.

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 10:25:29 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I totally agree with this. Marcus' upside is a poor man's Wade  who is less athletic but a better defender.

I dunno man...Smart's an amazing defensive player, but Wade was an absolute beast on defense as well when he was young.  He was a really special player on both ends of the court.

I hope that's true though!