Author Topic: Sold on WCS  (Read 7377 times)

Re: Sold on WCS
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
WCS strikes me as a guy that has all the physical tools to be great, but just doesn't really put it all together. If he's there a 16, you obviously take him. But I'm not sure if I feel comfortable giving up assets to move up for him.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 01:08:18 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
After seeing his clutch play this year, watching videos of his season and DraftExpress, I think he is the guy we would benefit most from in this draft, considering our position and potential to move up. How realistic is this? I believe we have enough assets to snag him, but from the mock drafts I can't confidentially gauge where he will be picked and what it may take to get him. Does any one have thoughts re: this? And any one feel the same way? Happy to hear both sides of the argument.

There's something about him that I just don't like. I feel like he has a very high bust potential, and I am far from sold. Stanley Johnson or Justice Winslow on the other hand... I would trade a lot of assets for them. But NOT for WCS when Turner and Upshaw seem like more sure things to me (in terms of bball ability).

Its crazy to me that WCS will be drafted before Turner, I don't get it...
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 01:34:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
After seeing his clutch play this year, watching videos of his season and DraftExpress, I think he is the guy we would benefit most from in this draft, considering our position and potential to move up. How realistic is this? I believe we have enough assets to snag him, but from the mock drafts I can't confidentially gauge where he will be picked and what it may take to get him. Does any one have thoughts re: this? And any one feel the same way? Happy to hear both sides of the argument.

There's something about him that I just don't like. I feel like he has a very high bust potential, and I am far from sold. Stanley Johnson or Justice Winslow on the other hand... I would trade a lot of assets for them. But NOT for WCS when Turner and Upshaw seem like more sure things to me (in terms of bball ability).

I don't think WCS will be drafted before Turner. I expect Turner to move ahead of WCS over next couple of weeks on the back of those good medical reports and workouts.

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 01:38:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Well WCS has rare athleticism, it's better than some current elite big man defenders in the NBA already. So at worst by picking WCS you know you are getting a All defense NBA player. Kind of how Marcus Smart went six. WCS should go 6-12 range any lower and I would be shocked. Joakim Noah and Nerlens Noel both considered great defenders went top 10 despite offensive flaws. This is just where great paint defenders go.

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 02:14:43 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
He is going to be really good but a lot of mock drafts have Sacramento drafting him #6.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 03:38:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Can someone sell me on the idea that WCS will clearly be a better offensive player than prime Kendrick Perkins?  Sure, he has the tools to have a ceiling that is higher, but I'm talking about the likeliest scenario, not the best-case scenario.  There's a non-negligible chance he ends up worse than Perkins on offense, right?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 03:49:11 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Can someone sell me on the idea that WCS will clearly be a better offensive player than prime Kendrick Perkins?  Sure, he has the tools to have a ceiling that is higher, but I'm talking about the likeliest scenario, not the best-case scenario.  There's a non-negligible chance he ends up worse than Perkins on offense, right?

He is not even close to like Perkins. WCS is super athletic and can cover threes fours and fives.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 03:51:38 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

He is not even close to like Perkins. WCS is super athletic and can cover threes fours and fives.

I'm talking purely about their offensive capabilities.  WCS may be more athletic, but that doesn't guarantee that he will be any more useful on offense.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 03:58:01 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I'm talking purely about their offensive capabilities.  WCS may be more athletic, but that doesn't guarantee that he will be any more useful on offense.

Simple, his ability to run the floor, finish through contact, and catch lobs. The last one is crucial since Van Gundy was discussing how the lob pass on pick and rolls has added a dimension to the play is extremely difficult to stop. Cauley-Stein is tailor made to do exactly that. 

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Prime Kendrick Perkins was a solid offensive player.  Before his knee injury he had reached the point where he was regularly putting up 10-12 points a game on 60% shooting, occasionally doing more than that.  I remember he had even developed a decent hook shot and back to the basket game when the matchups were in his favor.

The knee injury really robbed Perk of any offensive ability he had.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 04:57:55 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I don't think WCS will be drafted before Turner. I expect Turner to move ahead of WCS over next couple of weeks on the back of those good medical reports and workouts.
Turner is a very good shotblocker at the NCAA level but he is slow, awkward and unathletic. He will struggle defending perimeter-oriented bigs, he'll struggle in transition, he'll struggle in the P&R. He will block shots but he isn't versatile. WCS is super-quick and explosive. He can defend not only quick PF's but even wings and guards. He can switch any screen. He is far more than just a shotblocker. That is why he is an elite defensive prospect; Turner is a mixed bag defensive prospect who also has some potential as a shooter.

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 05:13:26 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
This is all that needed to be posted in this thread. IMO this kid is probably the best defensive prospect to come out of college in the history of the nba. I'm not joking nor exaggerating. THE KID OUTRUNS BOTH TEAMS from under the basket at 7'. This kid adds muscle and gets stronger, learns how to score atleast to the capability of Kendrick Perkins which is not hard (probably already a better offensive player then perk lol) THIS KID is DeAndre Jordan as a rookie who can guard Points and SGs.

http://youtu.be/sk7PDMJyqhA

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 05:16:19 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Pair Smart And Stein we would give teams FITS.

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2015, 05:34:35 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Question anyone else beside me think WCS could be successful as a Ibaka type PF?

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 05:41:42 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Turner is a very good shotblocker at the NCAA level but he is slow, awkward and unathletic. He will struggle defending perimeter-oriented bigs, he'll struggle in transition, he'll struggle in the P&R. He will block shots but he isn't versatile. WCS is super-quick and explosive. He can defend not only quick PF's but even wings and guards. He can switch any screen. He is far more than just a shotblocker. That is why he is an elite defensive prospect; Turner is a mixed bag defensive prospect who also has some potential as a shooter.

I'm really not sold on Turner.  I see him as a project that is going to need time to improve his strength and athleticism before he can contribute in the NBA.  Every time I watched him play he would easily get pushed out of position in the post on either side of the ball.  Because of his length he would get his share of blocks, but I think he will get murdered in the post in the NBA.  Whether he can add the necessary strength in time is unknown.  I don't think he has the quickness to defend stretch 4s on the perimeter either.  Offensively, he has a nice looking shot, but he only shot 27.4%. From 3. Who knows, maybe he will develop a lot physically over the next few years.

To me, WCS is a lock to be a solid player.  He's going to be a very good to elite defender who can defend the rim and even guard guys out on the perimeter.  He doesn't have much of a half court offensive game, but he can finish and run the floor.  I believe his mid range jump shot is coming around as well.  He'll look great next to Sully or Olynyk... or dare I say Love (I'm ducking).