Author Topic: Sold on WCS  (Read 7368 times)

Sold on WCS
« on: May 24, 2015, 02:54:41 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
After seeing his clutch play this year, watching videos of his season and DraftExpress, I think he is the guy we would benefit most from in this draft, considering our position and potential to move up. How realistic is this? I believe we have enough assets to snag him, but from the mock drafts I can't confidentially gauge where he will be picked and what it may take to get him. Does any one have thoughts re: this? And any one feel the same way? Happy to hear both sides of the argument.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Sold on WCS
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 04:01:16 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
After seeing his clutch play this year, watching videos of his season and DraftExpress, I think he is the guy we would benefit most from in this draft, considering our position and potential to move up. How realistic is this? I believe we have enough assets to snag him, but from the mock drafts I can't confidentially gauge where he will be picked and what it may take to get him. Does any one have thoughts re: this? And any one feel the same way? Happy to hear both sides of the argument.

Well it's kind of a gut thing with me that I could be easily wrong about but I'm never been 100% sold on his commitment to the game. Apparently he's a person with many other interests which is not necessarily bad -maybe his creative side is what makes him such a good defender- but when you have the rest of the team locked in to one goal and WCS is daydreaming it doesn't fit the culture and make up of the team.

This was a quote from a Bleacher Report article a couple of months back...

"Granny," he asked Norma Stein, "would you be mad if I didn't go to the NBA?"

Despite being sidelined with an ankle injury during the Final Four, Cauley-Stein had shown enough promise as a sophomore to be tagged a potential lottery pick in the 2014 NBA draft. Still, when he posed that question to Norma, Cauley-Stein wasn't debating whether he should turn pro that summer.

"He wanted to know what I'd think if he didn't turn pro at all—as in, ever," Norma said. "For a while he was really gung-ho about the NBA. I still think he wants to go. But he's just interested in so many different things besides basketball."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2287213-superstardom-awaits-willie-cauley-steinif-he-finally-decides-he-wants-it

Maybe he learns to love the NBA lifestyle, maybe he quits the game young like Andrew Bynum. Wouldn't blame him either way but not sure I'd want to risk the assets it would take to get him if he flames out.

All of that being said, in Danny I trust. If DA decides to take him, I'll trust his judgement that character concerns are negligible. From a sheer fit stance, he might not only be the best draft based fit but maybe the best free agent fit available this summer.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 04:44:51 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Oh man. Thanks for sharing, I had no idea. I don't necessary look at that as a huge negative, but at the same time, can see it being a back-breaker. Thank you for sharing, that is very helpful. I hope if he does commit he makes it happen. I get the sense (observationally, admittedly) that he could make major contributions if his heart is in it. And the Cs apparently really like him at combine. But if not, I get it. Actually kinda cool he's considering other routes.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 06:57:03 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Is it a bad thing that he likes stuff other than basketball? To me that just says he's gonna be a well rounded individual which should be considered a plus surely?

My opinion is you trade for him if he's available at Detroit or Charlotte's picks, same as I would trade for hezonja or Johnson there. But to move up further will cost a hell of a lot and I really don't think he's worth it. For the cost of moving to 7 or above in this draft, you need to at least get a guy who can become a 2 way threat. I don't believe WCS can be that.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 08:02:36 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
No thank u

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 08:22:38 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm not sure exactly what Willie Cauley-Stein's interests are outside of basketball, but I'm guessing most of them are more positive and productive than Robert Upshaw's. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 08:59:55 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
We would have to get lucky, but I think it's possible. There is little consensus about which order picks 5/6 through 8 should go in (Winslow is a slight favorite for #5, and SJ is likely #9). If WCS slides to Detroit at #8, they already have Andre Drummond, so they'll probably shop the pick unless they love Stanley Johnson. We can offer them Sully or KO, which should interest them as they will need to replace Monroe, and maybe #16 + another pick. Alternatively, if they pick Johnson, then Charlotte at #9 might shop the pick if they are confident of re-signing Big Al.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 09:03:59 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 09:22:54 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'm not concerned about his other interests and commitment to the game.  He's in great shape, he has added muscle every year, his game has improved every year, and he plays with passion.  He's obviously been very commited to it.  Look at his free throw shooting each year, 37%, 48%, 62%.  That's the result of a lot of practice.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 10:29:44 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
KO has always struck me as a guy/kid that likes to play the game, but isn't really bothered by losing.  Many time you would see him cutting up with a teammate during a game the C's were losing.  Can you picture KG doing that?  Or seeing KO doing that, if he was still playing here!?
Actually I think there's alot of that in the league nowadays, as players making as much money as they do, aren't as invested in winning and losing as the old days, when a playoff check meant alot more!
Still, I believe in the old saying "show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser".  You can be a good sport, without being a good loser!  Passion for the game!  Passion for the battle!  Those are the kind of players we need!

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 10:35:30 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I'm not sure exactly what Willie Cauley-Stein's interests are outside of basketball, but I'm guessing most of them are more positive and productive than Robert Upshaw's.

He wants to be a fashion designer, he could probably do that after making his name in the NBA.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 10:58:49 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
KO has always struck me as a guy/kid that likes to play the game, but isn't really bothered by losing.  Many time you would see him cutting up with a teammate during a game the C's were losing.  Can you picture KG doing that?  Or seeing KO doing that, if he was still playing here!?
Actually I think there's alot of that in the league nowadays, as players making as much money as they do, aren't as invested in winning and losing as the old days, when a playoff check meant alot more!
Still, I believe in the old saying "show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser".  You can be a good sport, without being a good loser!  Passion for the game!  Passion for the battle!  Those are the kind of players we need!

So, ripping Kevin Love's arm out of its socket to prevent him from getting to a loose ball doesn't count for anything?   :)

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 11:15:08 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

If WCS was available in the late teens/early 20's I dont think you'd find many people upset taking him over Upshaw

Greg

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 11:33:45 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Barring him not being committed to the game, he will be an impactful defensive player for years to come.

Seldom do 7' players have the ability to quickly move and slide around the court like him, and not have an impact on defense. He was made to disrupt the pick and roll, and in the NBA that fact is huge, because the NBA is a pick and roll league. His rebounding and shot blocking will get better and better as he matures.

He may not be a great one on one scorer, but if you respect the impact of good defense, he will be pick to go after. 

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 12:41:27 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22

There's something about him that I just don't like. I feel like he has a very high bust potential, and I am far from sold. Stanley Johnson or Justice Winslow on the other hand... I would trade a lot of assets for them. But NOT for WCS when Turner and Upshaw seem like more sure things to me (in terms of bball ability).