Author Topic: My offseason: Trade with Magic, Draft, Free Agency  (Read 1733 times)

My offseason: Trade with Magic, Draft, Free Agency
« on: May 24, 2015, 12:30:12 AM »

Offline ChefEricT

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 16
On paper, we need a "Rim Protector" and a scoring wing.  We've heard it, said it, read it, etc.  Could this move help us on our way?  Is it possible?

Rewind.  We have cap space and it seems like the deepest position available in Free Agency this year is PF.  We currently have 2 talented young PFs, but I believe we can improve on them.

First move:

Trade J.Sullinger, A.Bradley and pick #16
To Orlando for
T.Harris(sign and trade) and pick #5

Maybe we'll need to add a future pick too, not sure.

Harris is a RFA, but we may be able to get him in FA if we offer a sizable contract.  Orlando has quite the collection of lottery picks from the last few seasons, and eventually they'll have to resign them.  They may be willing to let him walk to a high bidder.  This could save us a little money and give them something for him instead of nothing.

With the 5th pick I'd select W.Cauley-Stein.  It's a little higher than we may need to be to get him, but better safe than sorry.  If he's our guy, and we have a chance to get the 5th pick, let's take him.

I would then use pick #28 to shed G.Wallace's contract.

Next, sign G.Monroe.  Again, there are lots of high quality PF FA.  I'd obviously be happy with Love, Aldridge or Green, but I think Monroe is the most attainable for us. 

2015-2016 Boston Celtics

C  Cauley-Stein / Zeller
PF Monroe / Olynyk
SF Harris / Crowder
SG Smart / Young
PG Thomas / Turner

More depth: Pressey, Iverson?, 2 2nd Round picks, Jerebko?

I would say that this is clearly a more talented team than we rolled out this year, and Brad Stevens took us to the playoffs this year.  As these young players continue to develop, we would just get stronger and stronger.  Is this a possibility?  Am I Crazy?  What do you think?
Mock Deadline Denver Nuggets
Nurcic/Henson
Patterson/Bennett/Arthur
Ross/Budinger
Miller/Hunter/Foye
Rubio/Ennis/Bayless

Re: My offseason: Trade with Magic, Draft, Free Agency
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 01:23:41 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
On paper, we need a "Rim Protector" and a scoring wing.  We've heard it, said it, read it, etc.  Could this move help us on our way?  Is it possible?

Rewind.  We have cap space and it seems like the deepest position available in Free Agency this year is PF.  We currently have 2 talented young PFs, but I believe we can improve on them.

First move:

Trade J.Sullinger, A.Bradley and pick #16
To Orlando for
T.Harris(sign and trade) and pick #5

Maybe we'll need to add a future pick too, not sure.

Harris is a RFA, but we may be able to get him in FA if we offer a sizable contract.  Orlando has quite the collection of lottery picks from the last few seasons, and eventually they'll have to resign them.  They may be willing to let him walk to a high bidder.  This could save us a little money and give them something for him instead of nothing.

With the 5th pick I'd select W.Cauley-Stein.  It's a little higher than we may need to be to get him, but better safe than sorry.  If he's our guy, and we have a chance to get the 5th pick, let's take him.

I would then use pick #28 to shed G.Wallace's contract.

Next, sign G.Monroe.  Again, there are lots of high quality PF FA.  I'd obviously be happy with Love, Aldridge or Green, but I think Monroe is the most attainable for us. 

2015-2016 Boston Celtics

C  Cauley-Stein / Zeller
PF Monroe / Olynyk
SF Harris / Crowder
SG Smart / Young
PG Thomas / Turner

More depth: Pressey, Iverson?, 2 2nd Round picks, Jerebko?

I would say that this is clearly a more talented team than we rolled out this year, and Brad Stevens took us to the playoffs this year.  As these young players continue to develop, we would just get stronger and stronger.  Is this a possibility?  Am I Crazy?  What do you think?

They wouldn't trade the #5 pick alone for that...

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 07:26:49 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
The Magic are in need of a star and they are less likely to find one at 16. Basically, this is another one of those quantity for quality trade offers that would be rejected by Orlando. It's a great deal for Boston, though.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 07:48:22 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It really depends on what they think about Bradley and Sullinger - if they are high on them, then I suppose it is a possibility since they are getting two starter level players and a decent draft pick. #5 isn't a great position in this year's draft (just like the Lakers at #4) so I am not as concerned about the cache of that pick.

I would remove Harris from your trade proposal since he is a [restricted] free agent and just have a second deal for him where the Magic get a draft pick (if you're afraid they will match). It just makes the deal look a lot more lopsided - sign and trades don't have the same effect they used to.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 09:48:39 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I don't think they would take Bradley when their backcourt is pretty set for right now, he's not that much of an upgrade over Payton or Oladipo, not to give up the 5th pick were they could get Winslow if they let Harris walk an have a very young core. Sully might be something they look at though, but I don't think they take on Bradleys contract just to come off the bench.

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 10:12:50 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I don't think we could get the 5th pick let alone the 5th pick and Harris in a S&T in that deal.  If hypothetically we get the 5th pick I'm really tempted to go after Winslow.  I think he can be a star.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 12:00:46 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
Monroe can't strech the floor, he's useless at the 4 with our system. Also Stein has no offense; doubtful Ainge will trade up for him but overly your idea is is good. TP

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 12:24:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Monroe can't strech the floor, he's useless at the 4 with our system. Also Stein has no offense; doubtful Ainge will trade up for him but overly your idea is is good. TP

What system?

The idea of a power forward is to post up, rebound and score, NOT stretch the floor and chuck 3s like Sullinger does.

Not sure where this notion came from.

Monroe is exactly the type of player we need.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 12:44:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

What system?

The idea of a power forward is to post up, rebound and score, NOT stretch the floor and chuck 3s like Sullinger does.

Not sure where this notion came from.

Monroe is exactly the type of player we need.

What you don't need are two starters (Monroe and Stein) who can't shoot well from beyond 15 feet. (Monroe and Drummond, for example). That doesn't work in today's NBA, certainly not in the ball movement offense of Stevens'. Pass.  I would take Porzingis with that 5th pick and take a shot with the ex-UW head case at 28.  But I agree with others who say that ORL does not move the 5 pick for our second rate starters. Especially with Sully's stock on the low side right now, what with injury and weight issues. If Porzingis for some reason slides to 7 or 8, we have to figure out how to get him here.  Sure wish he had stayed in draft last year, we likely would have taken him.