Author Topic: Smart and Grant backcourt.  (Read 4225 times)

Smart and Grant backcourt.
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:46:04 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I was thinking of trading Bradley in this scenario for the 12th pick, and draft upshaw At 16. But even if we keep Avery. I think that smart and grant could make much more complete backcourt with both of them being capable passers and ball handlers, grant being a little better.  Grant brings a little more size as and length as well.  If Grant is BPA I'm OK on drafting him

Re: Smart and Grant backcourt.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:17:35 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I was thinking of trading Bradley in this scenario for the 12th pick, and draft upshaw At 16. But even if we keep Avery. I think that smart and grant could make much more complete backcourt with both of them being capable passers and ball handlers, grant being a little better.  Grant brings a little more size as and length as well.  If Grant is BPA I'm OK on drafting him

I agree that having Grant might lead to a trade of Bradley, or IT.  I can picture either
of the following:

Grant, IT
Smart, Grant, Young

or

Grant, Smart
Smart, Bradley, Young

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:23:59 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
sigh. who is grant and why should we care?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 10:26:52 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I like Grant. It will provide size and balance on our back court.

With that scenario Grant will check the 2 guards and he has the size to defend them, with Smart guarding the PG's. And on offense, Grant initiates the offense and Smart plays at the SG spot.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 10:39:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
College senior. 22 years old.

Seems too old to be taking late lottery to mid first rounder.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 11:38:41 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

LOL

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 12:35:04 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
College senior. 22 years old.

Seems too old to be taking late lottery to mid first rounder.
Yes but I think you should take a closer look.

Grant isn't your typical college senior. Grant is actually a tremendous athlete. He is 6'5" and has the explosiveness to slice through a defense to the rim. He is a great character guy and a very good passer. I'm partial to ND guys but I really like him.

Steph curry stayed 3 years in order to improve as a point gaurd and grant did a similar thing upping his assists significantly each year.

If Danny thinks booker will be a stud or if someone with star potential falls then fine but I think grant will be a starting gaurd for a long time in this league.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 02:54:55 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
grant is awesome. sign me up.
to me hes got gilbert arenas scoring potential.,absolute beast in transition and nba high iq frommhis father (horace grant)
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 03:33:13 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Highest I've seen Grant go in mocks for NBA.com, NBADraft.net, DraftExpress, and ESPN is 18th. A trade to 12 isn't necessary.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 03:42:24 AM »

Online Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

LOL

Ha cant believe know one has said his first name this late in the thread. They're referring to Jerian Grant, Notre Dame's senior combo guard. Good size at 6' 4.25" 198 lbs Averaged 16 pts-3 reb-6 Assist after being academically ineligible for his red shirt Junior season.

Pretty high upside for a player his age. (22)

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 07:46:25 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
How about Cameron Payne?

I've been saying for some time that I wouldn't be shocked to see Danny take a PG in the 1st round.

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 08:05:42 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I prefer to swing for the fences with Upshaw while understanding that he he is high risk, but if he works out the reward is so great. Grant is also interesting and certainly worthy of consideration and acquiring a second pick in the teens somewhere might not be a bad move. I'm not exactly sure how high we could get by combining 28, 33, and 45 or whether another team would actually want that many picks? The one thing that concerns me about Grant is that senior year 31% from 3-point distance, the lowest of his college career. The Celtics value 3- point shooting so highly.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 09:12:38 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I like Grant a lot as a prospect, and I'd be pretty happy getting him at 16. His passing ability is really elite, which is something we've been missing since Rondo left. He also has much more ability to create off the dribble than either Smart or AB, to go with great size, quickness, and potential as a shooter (78%FT).

That said, it would leave AB as somewhat the odd man out. It would be OK for a season, but in the long run Smart/AB/IT/Grant/Young is way too crowded.

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 10:25:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
sigh. who is grant and why should we care?

Must not follow college basketball or NCAA's at all.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 10:38:23 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
grant is awesome. sign me up.
to me hes got gilbert arenas scoring potential.,absolute beast in transition and nba high iq frommhis father (horace grant)

His father is Harvey Grant, Horace is his uncle. 

To the OP, is the plan to draft Grant and Upshaw at 12 and 16?  I would not go for that, Oubre and Grant would be good IMO. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby