Author Topic: Are there any veterans on here?  (Read 4255 times)

Are there any veterans on here?
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:21:52 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
With it being Memorial Day weekend and all, I was just curious to see if we have any posters who have served.  I have a few friends who have been, or are currently still, in the armed forces, but, regardless, thank you so much, whether you volunteered or were drafted.  I'm not trying to get you to swap war stories or anything, lol ;D, but I was just curious.  Anyway, have a great weekend, everyone :).

Re: Are there any veterans on here?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:50:09 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
With it being Memorial Day weekend and all, I was just curious to see if we have any posters who have served.  I have a few friends who have been, or are currently still, in the armed forces, but, regardless, thank you so much, whether you volunteered or were drafted.  I'm not trying to get you to swap war stories or anything, lol ;D, but I was just curious.  Anyway, have a great weekend, everyone :).

TP for honoring our vets.

And thank you to every one of you who has served our country.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 10:33:18 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i was in the navy. dont even ask me about it.

i destest and loath how people are enticed into the military, then used as foot soldiers and cannon fodder for an imperial foreign policy, then not taken care of when their bodies are destroyed, but hero-imagery is trotted out when leaders think it makes the leaders look good.

have a nice Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing veteran's day. if you really want to thank them, give them medical care and money and jobs. by the way, go talk with homeless people and find out how many are vets.  >:(
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 10:42:51 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
TP for giving a ton of props to the veterans who served.

I'm not American and I appreciate everything they did, just from the standpoint of their sacrifices and willingness to serve while putting everything on the line. They are the real superheroes of the world.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 11:50:47 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

i destest and loath how people are enticed into the military, then used as foot soldiers and cannon fodder for an imperial foreign policy, then not taken care of when their bodies are destroyed, but hero-imagery is trotted out when leaders think it makes the leaders look good.

have a nice ****ing veteran's day. if you really want to thank them, give them medical care and money and jobs. by the way, go talk with homeless people and find out how many are vets.  >:(

Um, hello, it's Memorial Day ;), lol ;D. In all seriousness, though, I'm very sorry that things worked out so poorly in the navy, and yes, our 'leaders' ::) 'care' about our veterans, but only if it's election season.  Sigh.  I really wish that I was being sarcastic on that one.  What really baffles me is how a friend of mine can be in the marine corps, but can't find any form of employment.  Apparently, all of that training they show on the commercials doesn't help (which, sadly, doesn't surprise me), and all the companies who say that they 'support our troops,' or, 'love our veterans,' or whatever, won't hire them.  Wow.  That's really pathetic.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 11:53:18 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I'm not American and I appreciate everything they did, just from the standpoint of their sacrifices and willingness to serve while putting everything on the line. They are the real superheroes of the world.

You're from the Philippines, right, iirc?  I'm curious, after all of the unspeakable things that we did to your country, how is America perceived by your fellow countrymen, today?

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 11:58:48 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Double post. Apologies.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 12:00:32 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

You're from the Philippines, right, iirc?  I'm curious, after all of the unspeakable things that we did to your country, how is America perceived by your fellow countrymen, today?

I grew up there. I gotta tell you, that's probably all but forgotten. People there would give A LOT to be able to move here.

You guys did help us get the Japanese out during WWII. And currently, the US is also backing us up, helping us with this China reclamation situation. So with all the unspeakable act, I think the US has been an ally to the Philippines for as long as they have landed on our islands, I believe.

The only thing we worry about is the Visiting Forces Agreement. Other than that, the nation welcomes America with open arms. Or atleast most of us.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 12:34:58 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I grew up there. I gotta tell you, that's probably all but forgotten. People there would give A LOT to be able to move here.

You guys did help us get the Japanese out during WWII. And currently, the US is also backing us up, helping us with this China reclamation situation. So with all the unspeakable act, I think the US has been an ally to the Philippines for as long as they have landed on our islands, I believe.

The only thing we worry about is the Visiting Forces Agreement. Other than that, the nation welcomes America with open arms. Or atleast most of us.

Well sure, but only after they kicked us out first, lol ;D. I think that there was some brutal guerrilla war that wasn't widely reported, but rest assured - it was awful.  I read about it in an article somewhere.  I'll post the link if I find it again.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 12:45:54 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Well sure, but only after they kicked us out first, lol ;D. I think that there was some brutal guerrilla war that wasn't widely reported, but rest assured - it was awful.  I read about it in an article somewhere.  I'll post the link if I find it again.

Eh. All we care is MacArthur returned. Who knows what have happened to the country if we weren't backed up by the US. There was a bit of fighting in the late 1800's with the Filipino's and America. If I remember my Philippine history correctly, it's just because the US want's to "Americanize" the islands, after they liberated us from Spain, and a large group of people we're against it, so there were some fighting.

And then a few years after that, the Philippines became a Commonwealth, and then America gave them full independence a few years after.

I think I need to brush up on my Philippine history.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 08:17:54 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

have a nice ****ing veteran's day. if you really want to thank them, give them medical care and money and jobs. by the way, go talk with homeless people and find out how many are vets.  >:(

I logged in today to look for this thread.  I was Army.  Went on to college after and ended up an adjunct Sociology and Philosophy (ethics/philosophy of education) professor.

Turns out, my subject matter was a trigger for military PTSD, in no small part for the precise reasons you mention here.  All of that reading and studying was probably just a way to try to make sense of it all.  And it does make sense...for those at the top.

Folks in rural areas, with few economic prospects and little mobility, are particularly vulnerable to the pitch of all the military "benefits."  Those with more options tend to take another road.  Those who can't "borrow money from their parents for college," in the parlance of Mitt Romney, risk their lives for a shot at the middle class.

When people come out and say "thanks for your service," all I can think is...I just didn't know better.

It's amazing, though, how PTSD can take a person by surprise at the weirdest moments... 

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 08:21:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
My wife did a tour in Iraq and she hates when people thank her for her service on Memorial Day.  Veterans Day she loves it, but not Memorial Day, which is meant as a day to remember the dead, not the living.  Just keep that in mind for future reference.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 08:25:09 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Um, hello, it's Memorial Day ;), lol ;D. In all seriousness, though, I'm very sorry that things worked out so poorly in the navy, and yes, our 'leaders' ::) 'care' about our veterans, but only if it's election season.  Sigh.  I really wish that I was being sarcastic on that one.  What really baffles me is how a friend of mine can be in the marine corps, but can't find any form of employment.  Apparently, all of that training they show on the commercials doesn't help (which, sadly, doesn't surprise me), and all the companies who say that they 'support our troops,' or, 'love our veterans,' or whatever, won't hire them.  Wow.  That's really pathetic.

Business is business.

I just have to say this:  there seems to be a growing fear of combat veterans.  All of the press about PTSD and getting help is good, but it doesn't scream "good employee!" 

Yes, folks want veterans to get help if needed - but please go get it somewhere else, please.