Author Topic: Windhorst & Lowe on Kevin Love (Reportedly May Leave Cleveland)  (Read 21632 times)

Re: Windhorst & Lowe on Kevin Love
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2015, 12:55:02 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
There is sacrifice and then there is sacrifice, the guy is 26 years old and was reduced to a 3rd sometimes 4th wheel in their offence.Total waste of his talents as a basketball player,people go on about winning a ring like it is the be all and end all, maximise your own abilities first and foremost.
Go ring chasing the last few years of your career if need be.
People say the guy never won anything in his career before, the guy was part of a Wolves squad that almost posted a winning record in the almighty Western Conference, so he has been part of 'winning'.

:D :D
SO basketball is no more about winning rings. Its all about maximizing your stats now huh?! Plus this is coming from a Cs fan huh? :D :D
More than half the teams in the league know when the season starts that they have little or no chance to win the title.So what are the players doing on those teams doing during the season?
Trying to get better contracts, that is what they are doing.
Most lottery picks don't even sniff the playoffs their first few seasons in the league, got to put those numbers to get that first big deal. ;)
It is not the players fault , it's the system.

Pretty sure Gilbert is a billionaire, doesnt care about the luxury. If I remember correctly, he was paying the luxury on the Shaq/Antawn Jamison Cavs!!He only cares about winning and will happily pay Love the max regardless. The max he can pay Love also happens to be much more than the max any other team can pay him. So yh contract money is NOT an issue for Love
i'd be careful not to project my feelings onto the players, zubi  ;)

Honestly its all good! Looking forward to happens in FA! Also looking forward to ppls reactions when he finally decides. I sure hope ppl arent going to moan about Klove leading other teams on. I mean thats exactly what happened when he went to Boston last summer are there was all the hyping about him going there. Only to turn around and tell the Minny FO he only wanted to be traded to the Cavs. I read some many post on here about how Love is a loser/Lebron lapdog and how 'he led us on/I thought he cared about Boston tradition'.

Hopefully some many who have be so convinced he was leaving would be man enough to eat their humble pie
i have NO clue what he's gonna do

But i'm seriously looking foreward to this year's offseason too!

Seems like there could be many moves by many teams

I'm getting my popcorn ready
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2015, 02:49:06 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Perhaps Woj wasn't just stirring the pot in late April when he suggested the C's and Love had some kind of mutual agreement.

He's got to be looking at the Western Conference at the moment and wondering how brutal it's going to be out there for at least the next 5 years.

Our appeal is our coach, our cap situation, our GM, our sports city and basketball history. What's not often mentioned is how much easier the East must look to free agents that want deep playoff runs.
Love would have an offense revolving around him, and being 'the man' here would be an appealing scenario.

With Stevens coaching, I wonder if DeAndre Jordan would look at us with Love coming here.

Let's fantasize: 
1) trade Bradley+ #28+Dallas 2016 pick+ Wallace to Bucks for Khris Middleton  (Jason Kidd loves his D)
2)re-sign Crowder to reasonable deal
3) sign Kevin Love
4) sign DeAndre Jordan

Smart
Middleton
Crowder
Love
Jordan

IT
Turner
Olynyk or Sully
Zeller
Young
Rookie
Rookie

Tough defensive team with solid three point shooting and bench.
Still missing something but we've got best defensive anchor in NBA and top 10 NBA player in love and potential top 25 player in Middleton so we're much closer to where we wanna be. If Middleton, Smart and Crowder all improve that's a very nasty team.

I think we've got a better shot at Love than most people think.
The Lakers getting the # 2 pick didn't help us but the West is just so tough that I think it would really appeal to guys like DJ and Love as far as getting bigger roles and only having to deal with Lebron as the mega hurdle.
Whereas the West is Curry, CP3/Griffin, Harden/Howard, Gasol/Zeebo, Spurs.

On an interesting side note, did anyone see that Mike Conley is expected to hit free agency?
We don't have enough cap space to get Middleton, Love and Jordan.  Those three alone will cost around $55mil.

Surprisingly we do have enough room if we trade Wallace, Bradley, renounce all free agents, and then sign and trade for one of Love or Jordan.
Our resident cap guru says we do.(saltlover)

I stand by that assertion, although noting we also have to trade one of Olynyk, Sully, and Zeller in one deal, and Turner in the other. I also stand by my simultaneous assertion that it's not going to happen.  But for cap purposes, it is possible.
The original proposal made no mention of doing a sign and trade for Jordan or Love.  If Bradley and Wallace are being trade for Middleton, who is going to be traded to get Love or Jordan?  The original proposal also kept around too many players with too much salary to make it possible.  Of course it is not going to happen but that's true of most of the proposals around here.

Fair enough.

The way it would work is sending Wallace out in a deal for Love or Jordan with picks. (would probably have to be a 3 team deal).
Then send Bradley+filler to make $11 million going out to bring Middleton back in.(I believe this is because you only need to send out $11 million to get $16 million back in salary.
We'd have enough room to add Love or D Jordan after that.

So yeah it's unlikely, but we do have the cap room to do it.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2015, 03:31:01 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
We don't want him, especially not after his shoulder injury, which is supposed to effect his shooting and rebouding, and you don't know when he is going to re-injure it, his body just isn't strong enough for the playoff games

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2015, 09:28:07 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Trade for Cousins on draft night, and sign Love or sign Aldridge and Love.  Then upgrade Turner.  One can dream.  ;D

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2015, 11:08:30 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
There is sacrifice and then there is sacrifice, the guy is 26 years old and was reduced to a 3rd sometimes 4th wheel in their offence.Total waste of his talents as a basketball player,people go on about winning a ring like it is the be all and end all, maximise your own abilities first and foremost.
Go ring chasing the last few years of your career if need be.
People say the guy never won anything in his career before, the guy was part of a Wolves squad that almost posted a winning record in the almighty Western Conference, so he has been part of 'winning'.

:D :D
SO basketball is no more about winning rings. Its all about maximizing your stats now huh?! Plus this is coming from a Cs fan huh? :D :D
You admire opportunistic players who want to ride the coattails of others to the finals?

A player SHOULD protect their legacy. Imagine missing the Hall of Fame because you decided to be 3rd fiddle. It probably worked for Manu since he got so many rings. Love would need to get a lot of rings in Cleveland to boost his resume with the decline in usage.

If Love believes that he could be utilized more and win it all, good for him. I still have my doubts about his ability to be part of a winner due to his ego, but what do I know...

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
We don't want him, especially not after his shoulder injury, which is supposed to effect his shooting and rebouding, and you don't know when he is going to re-injure it, his body just isn't strong enough for the playoff games

Speak for yourself.

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2015, 11:09:35 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Lakers reporter-

Serena Winters @SerenaWinters  ·  22m 22 minutes ago
This morning on @TheHerd, @ESPN_Colin said he talked to his 2 best NBA sources about rumors surrounding Kevin Love leaving CLE. Response: "There is a real feeling even amongst LeBron & others they don't know what he's (Kevin Love) going to do."

« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2015, 11:35:25 AM »

Offline C-Green

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
With the emergence of Thompson, I am not sure why Cavs would want to spend max money on love. How many times have you honestly thought "if only Love wasn't injured" while watching Cavs in the playoffs? My answer is not many. Love just doesn't seem to move the needle that much despite his undeniable offensive skills; not in Minnesota and not in Cleveland.
To me his attitude has been a question mark since Minnesota, which I easily could chalk up to being on a bad team but him not really getting along in Cleveland? Reportedly not even coming to support his team when there in the playoffs? Weak. If I'm Cleveland I sign Thompson to close to or max (if I have to in order to keep him) and use the left over Love money to go after quality role players. There are better ways to spend their money on people who have no issue with their role on a championship contender.

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2015, 11:38:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lakers reporter-

This morning on @TheHerd, @ESPN_Colin said he talked to his 2 best NBA sources about rumors surrounding Kevin Love leaving CLE. Response: "There is a real feeling even amongst LeBron & others they don't know what he's (Kevin Love) going to do."

Has Cowherd ever broken a story?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2015, 11:47:59 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Lakers reporter-

Whats different here than the podcast?  If anything this is less interesting than what they said on the podcast and Cowherd should be referencing an ESPN property that has juicier fruit.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2015, 12:07:48 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
With the emergence of Thompson, I am not sure why Cavs would want to spend max money on love. How many times have you honestly thought "if only Love wasn't injured" while watching Cavs in the playoffs? My answer is not many. Love just doesn't seem to move the needle that much despite his undeniable offensive skills; not in Minnesota and not in Cleveland.
To me his attitude has been a question mark since Minnesota, which I easily could chalk up to being on a bad team but him not really getting along in Cleveland? Reportedly not even coming to support his team when there in the playoffs? Weak. If I'm Cleveland I sign Thompson to close to or max (if I have to in order to keep him) and use the left over Love money to go after quality role players. There are better ways to spend their money on people who have no issue with their role on a championship contender.

Just wanted to let you know how accurate so called 'reports' are in this day and age

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah anyone who thinks he wasn't there for Game 3 wasn't paying attention.

He can't fly, is what I've heard. Fair enough.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2015, 01:00:37 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Trade for Cousins on draft night, and sign Love or sign Aldridge and Love.  Then upgrade Turner.  One can dream.  ;D

I'm salivating at that possibility.  That would make my year.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2015, 01:00:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I think it is getting pretty tough to acknowledge there is not at least a reasonable chance that Love goes elsewhere this summer. It looks more and more like he might be a better fit off the bench. Mosgov has actually developed enough a jumper that his pairing with Thompson, Irving, Shumptert and Lebron does not completely clog the lane. The trouble of boxing them both out on the offensive boards seems to be a legitmate problem for any team they place.

Meanwhile, in a second unit with Jr Smith, Delladova and perhaps Andy V, Love could really operate in the post and get a lot more touches and rebounds. However, I think there is no way that Love would accept coming off the bench.

Additionally, although for next year it will not matter because they will be over the cap regardless. When the Cap explodes in a few years they could be using at least some of that money for something they need more. I think two years from now they really are going to need a legitmate backup for up Lebron because right now they have nothing. If they could get a young player that is developing into a nice scorer and can play some defense they may be in a lot better situation. I'm thinking that guy that plays for the twolves, Wiggins that just won ROY. If there was someway they could just trade Love for a player like him they would be a lot better off the next few years... anyone know if the salaries would work on that?

« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2015, 01:26:23 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Lakers reporter-

Not sure, but is it really so shocking to believe Love would leave the allure of Cleveland?