Author Topic: Windhorst & Lowe on Kevin Love (Reportedly May Leave Cleveland)  (Read 21702 times)

Re: Windhorst & Lowe on Kevin Love
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2015, 07:49:11 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
most players want to go through the FA process--and they like to choose where they want to play. I think it's totally reasonable that Love comes here. Lakers fans Never appreciated Pau Gasol when he was there ( I live in LA-so I know)...Love would be Loved in Boston.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2015, 07:57:59 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I mean if Love was fully committed to the Cavs, why all these reports? Why doesn't his agent, or Love himself, publicly state that he will undoubtedly be re-signing with Cleveland?

Don't rule out the very real possibility that these rumors are coming from his agent for the sake of driving up Love's price.

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2015, 08:00:32 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I mean if Love was fully committed to the Cavs, why all these reports? Why doesn't his agent, or Love himself, publicly state that he will undoubtedly be re-signing with Cleveland?

Don't rule out the very real possibility that these rumors are coming from his agent for the sake of driving up Love's price.
how will this drive up love's price? He's going to get the max regardless.

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2015, 08:02:04 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

2.  You're going on like this is something fans are making up.  Windhorst and Lowe are talking about it.  Are they lying?

I didn't bother listening to the interview, but the OP said that Lowe said his sources were third-hand, so that could just be speculation.  As for Windhorst, he's not above making stuff up.  He was leading the "Kyrie won't sign an extension" charge.  I know that Kyrie (allegedly) hates him.

I mean, let me quote Windhorst for you, before the season:

Quote from: Brian Windhorst
If the Cavs ever dream of having LeBron, it’s not going to be with Kyrie there. LeBron and Kyrie have drifted apart in the last few years, even to the point that if the Cavs wanted to get LeBron they would maybe trade Kyrie for someone who would fit better with LeBron. And I’m not making that up. That line of thinking was not originated by me. That’s just the truth.

Does that sound like somebody who shouldn't be doubted?  He was wrong on Kyrie not signing his extension, he was wrong on Lebron not signing in Cleveland, and my guess is that he's wrong on Love bolting.  Maybe somebody should make Windhorst a "sauces" meme.

But you also have Woj with this-

For as much as Kevin Love has publicly resisted the discussion of free agency this season, it has been on his mind. He has never been completely comfortable in Cleveland, with his role, nor his connection to those around him. Throughout the year, league sources say, one destination grew in possibility as his exit strategy: The Boston Celtics.

Boston has been no sure thing to lure Love, but it had a better shot than most had believed. If Love left the Cavaliers, the Celtics had closed the gap on the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

and David Aldridge with this-

The rumor mill has churned for a year with nuggets about Love's supposed interest in Boston after his up and down season with the Cavs. But Love seemed to have finally found his equilibrium in Cleveland at the end of the season before suffering that separated shoulder -- against the Celtics -- in the first round. Yahoo! Sports reported last week that that injury at the hands of Kelly Olynyk may have cooled Love's interest in playing for the Celtics next season. My experience has consistently been that anger subsides as dollars increase, and I'm told authoritatively that Love holds no long-lasting ill will toward either the Celtics or Olynyk. Boston can offer Love a max deal a second after midnight on July 1, an opportunity to again be the focal point of his team, lead an emerging surrounding cast and play for a terrific young coach.

Love actually stated he plans to be in Cleveland next year. http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/cleveland-cavaliers-kevin-love-plans-on-exercising-player-option-next-season-011315

Agents will do nothing of the sort. They will lose leverage if they fully commit because that means Cleveland can offer less than the max. It's a smart move. Make Cleveland think they're losing Love for them to pony up and give Love the dollars.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2015, 08:04:25 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I still don't buy it.

Me either. I'll believe it when I see it.

I think there is a good chance he leaves.  Would you rather be on a team where your talent is not maxed out, but you are winning championships or would you rather be on a team where your talent is maxed out, but it is an uphill battle to contend?  At age 26, I would choose the latter.  If I was over 30, I would choose the former.

Guess it would have really sucked for the Cs and their fans to get Garnett/Ray in 2003 rather than 2007 ::). I am sure KG didn't mean it when he talked about how he would have left earlier if he could go back in time 8) 8)

But Garnett, Ray, Pierce, Rondo, and Perk fit together beautifully.  Their skill sets complimented each other.  Love is an awkward fit in Cleveland.  He was rated the 7th best player in the NBA by both ESPN and Sports Illustrated before joining Cleveland and missed out on the All Star game with Cleveland.

Also by the way
KG 2007 22ppg 12rpg
KG 2008 18ppg 9rpg

RA 2007 26ppg 4rpg 4apg
RA 2008 17ppg 3rpg 3apg

PP 2007 25ppg 5rpg 5apg
PP 2008 19ppg 4rpg 4apg

So all 3 players numbers took a serious hit the yr they got together. SO I guess am wondering how much of a fit they would have been if one player didnt want his numbers to go down.

I mean what if KG demanded his normal consistent post touches instead of concentrating on defense and rebounding while scoring within the flow of the offense. What if RA demanded to have the ball in his hands the way he normally does instead of becoming an absolute nightmare off the ball player. I mean Rays numbers in the previous yr clearly shows a go to scorer yet his was relegated to playing mostly off the ball. You know the exact same way we keep hearing about how Love is relegated to a spot up shooter ::) ::)

What if PP demanded his normal 20 shots a game instead of just playing defense, scoring when the offense comes to him and taking clutch shots. I mean PP was a possible MVP candidate in the making and suddenly chances of him ever winning an MVP was zero.

What if all these or at least one of these things happened? How good a fit would the Boston big 3 have been?Just another thought ;D ;)

All three of those guys were past the age of 30 and their athleticism was already diminishing and their minutes went down.  Allen was coming off double ankle surgery.  He no longer had the ability to drive to the hoop he did even the season before when his season was cut short.

While their stats would not have been the same if they all played together in their twenties, they all would have been more efficient.  Certainly none of them would have had the drop off that Love had between the ages of 25 and 26.  26.1, 12.5, 4.4 to 16.4, 9.7, 2.2.  His shooting percentages even went down, albeit slightly. 

People have been writing/talking about Love's diminished role and less than ideal fit all season.  I'm not making this up.  Certainly, he doesn't want to be on a terrible team like Minnesota was again, but I wouldn't blame him or be surprised if he looks for a better fit for himself.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing, terrible team or awkward third wheel.  If he can find the opportunity to be a featured guy on a competitive team, I think he should go for it.  He's too young to take such a diminished role.  He doesn't even appear happy there.

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2015, 08:18:23 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

how will this drive up love's price? He's going to get the max regardless.

Exactly, and a large factor in that is Cleveland knowing they'll have to max him out to keep him. Because he could always leave.

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2015, 09:00:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I still don't buy it.

I think there is a good chance he leaves.  Would you rather be on a team where your talent is not maxed out, but you are winning championships or would you rather be on a team where your talent is maxed out, but it is an uphill battle to contend?  At age 26, I would choose the latter.  If I was over 30, I would choose the former.

Guess it would have really sucked for the Cs and their fans to get Garnett/Ray in 2003 rather than 2007 ::). I am sure KG didn't mean it when he talked about how he would have left earlier if he could go back in time 8) 8)

But Garnett, Ray, Pierce, Rondo, and Perk fit together beautifully.  Their skill sets complimented each other.  Love is an awkward fit in Cleveland.  He was rated the 7th best player in the NBA by both ESPN and Sports Illustrated before joining Cleveland and missed out on the All Star game with Cleveland.

Also by the way
KG 2007 22ppg 12rpg
KG 2008 18ppg 9rpg

RA 2007 26ppg 4rpg 4apg
RA 2008 17ppg 3rpg 3apg

PP 2007 25ppg 5rpg 5apg
PP 2008 19ppg 4rpg 4apg

So all 3 players numbers took a serious hit the yr they got together. SO I guess am wondering how much of a fit they would have been if one player didnt want his numbers to go down.

I mean what if KG demanded his normal consistent post touches instead of concentrating on defense and rebounding while scoring within the flow of the offense. What if RA demanded to have the ball in his hands the way he normally does instead of becoming an absolute nightmare off the ball player. I mean Rays numbers in the previous yr clearly shows a go to scorer yet his was relegated to playing mostly off the ball. You know the exact same way we keep hearing about how Love is relegated to a spot up shooter ::) ::)

What if PP demanded his normal 20 shots a game instead of just playing defense, scoring when the offense comes to him and taking clutch shots. I mean PP was a possible MVP candidate in the making and suddenly chances of him ever winning an MVP was zero.

What if all these or at least one of these things happened? How good a fit would the Boston big 3 have been?Just another thought ;D ;)

All three of those guys were past the age of 30 and their athleticism was already diminishing and their minutes went down.  Allen was coming off double ankle surgery.  He no longer had the ability to drive to the hoop he did even the season before when his season was cut short.

While their stats would not have been the same if they all played together in their twenties, they all would have been more efficient.  Certainly none of them would have had the drop off that Love had between the ages of 25 and 26.  26.1, 12.5, 4.4 to 16.4, 9.7, 2.2.  His shooting percentages even went down, albeit slightly. 

People have been writing/talking about Love's diminished role and less than ideal fit all season.  I'm not making this up.  Certainly, he doesn't want to be on a terrible team like Minnesota was again, but I wouldn't blame him or be surprised if he looks for a better fit for himself.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing, terrible team or awkward third wheel.  If he can find the opportunity to be a featured guy on a competitive team, I think he should go for it.  He's too young to take such a diminished role.  He doesn't even appear happy there.
Kevin love is a star. You can build your offense around him. He's a versatile scorer.   Lebron is the best player in the world, though... And kyrie Irving is a dynamic All-NBA guard.   Love has been utilized as a floor-stretching spot up shooter.   

Does anyone genuinely believe he's no longer capable of averaging 25+ points per night ?  You seriously believe he lost his skillset at age 26 and it just so happened that it coincided with his change in team?  It's like people seeing IT on the Suns and declaring that he no longer had the ability to drop 20 a night.   There's only one basketball and one hoop.  Roles matter.

Kevin love might not be a great defender but he's one of the best offensive players in the league. Lakers will be getting a franchise player when they sign him.

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2015, 09:19:09 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I still don't buy it.

Also by the way
KG 2007 22ppg 12rpg
KG 2008 18ppg 9rpg

RA 2007 26ppg 4rpg 4apg
RA 2008 17ppg 3rpg 3apg

PP 2007 25ppg 5rpg 5apg
PP 2008 19ppg 4rpg 4apg

Kevin love is a star. You can build your offense around him. He's a versatile scorer.   Lebron is the best player in the world, though... And kyrie Irving is a dynamic All-NBA guard.   Love has been utilized as a floor-stretching spot up shooter.   

Does anyone genuinely believe he's no longer capable of averaging 25+ points per night ?  You seriously believe he lost his skillset at age 26 and it just so happened that it coincided with his change in team?  It's like people seeing IT on the Suns and declaring that he no longer had the ability to drop 20 a night.   There's only one basketball and one hoop.  Roles matter.

Kevin love might not be a great defender but he's one of the best offensive players in the league. Lakers will be getting a franchise player when they sign him.

I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make.  I don't think he has lost his skillset and I agree his numbers went down because of his role.

Although, I think there is a possibility the Celtics could get him depending on what other moves Ainge can pull off.  And I'm not saying Boston is the favorite to sign him.

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2015, 10:30:30 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Perhaps Woj wasn't just stirring the pot in late April when he suggested the C's and Love had some kind of mutual agreement.

He's got to be looking at the Western Conference at the moment and wondering how brutal it's going to be out there for at least the next 5 years.

Our appeal is our coach, our cap situation, our GM, our sports city and basketball history. What's not often mentioned is how much easier the East must look to free agents that want deep playoff runs.
Love would have an offense revolving around him, and being 'the man' here would be an appealing scenario.

With Stevens coaching, I wonder if DeAndre Jordan would look at us with Love coming here.

Let's fantasize: 
1) trade Bradley+ #28+Dallas 2016 pick+ Wallace to Bucks for Khris Middleton  (Jason Kidd loves his D)
2)re-sign Crowder to reasonable deal
3) sign Kevin Love
4) sign DeAndre Jordan

Smart
Middleton
Crowder
Love
Jordan

IT
Turner
Olynyk or Sully
Zeller
Young
Rookie
Rookie

Tough defensive team with solid three point shooting and bench.
Still missing something but we've got best defensive anchor in NBA and top 10 NBA player in love and potential top 25 player in Middleton so we're much closer to where we wanna be. If Middleton, Smart and Crowder all improve that's a very nasty team.

I think we've got a better shot at Love than most people think.
The Lakers getting the # 2 pick didn't help us but the West is just so tough that I think it would really appeal to guys like DJ and Love as far as getting bigger roles and only having to deal with Lebron as the mega hurdle.
Whereas the West is Curry, CP3/Griffin, Harden/Howard, Gasol/Zeebo, Spurs.

On an interesting side note, did anyone see that Mike Conley is expected to hit free agency?
We don't have enough cap space to get Middleton, Love and Jordan.  Those three alone will cost around $55mil.

Surprisingly we do have enough room if we trade Wallace, Bradley, renounce all free agents, and then sign and trade for one of Love or Jordan.
Our resident cap guru says we do.(saltlover)
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2015, 11:31:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Perhaps Woj wasn't just stirring the pot in late April when he suggested the C's and Love had some kind of mutual agreement.

He's got to be looking at the Western Conference at the moment and wondering how brutal it's going to be out there for at least the next 5 years.

Our appeal is our coach, our cap situation, our GM, our sports city and basketball history. What's not often mentioned is how much easier the East must look to free agents that want deep playoff runs.
Love would have an offense revolving around him, and being 'the man' here would be an appealing scenario.

With Stevens coaching, I wonder if DeAndre Jordan would look at us with Love coming here.

Let's fantasize: 
1) trade Bradley+ #28+Dallas 2016 pick+ Wallace to Bucks for Khris Middleton  (Jason Kidd loves his D)
3) sign Kevin Love
4) sign DeAndre Jordan

Smart
Middleton
Crowder
Love
Jordan

IT
Turner
Olynyk or Sully
Zeller
Young
Rookie
Rookie

Still missing something but we've got best defensive anchor in NBA and top 10 NBA player in love and potential top 25 player in Middleton so we're much closer to where we wanna be. If Middleton, Smart and Crowder all improve that's a very nasty team.

The Lakers getting the # 2 pick didn't help us but the West is just so tough that I think it would really appeal to guys like DJ and Love as far as getting bigger roles and only having to deal with Lebron as the mega hurdle.

On an interesting side note, did anyone see that Mike Conley is expected to hit free agency?
We don't have enough cap space to get Middleton, Love and Jordan.  Those three alone will cost around $55mil.

Surprisingly we do have enough room if we trade Wallace, Bradley, renounce all free agents, and then sign and trade for one of Love or Jordan.

I stand by that assertion, although noting we also have to trade one of Olynyk, Sully, and Zeller in one deal, and Turner in the other. I also stand by my simultaneous assertion that it's not going to happen.  But for cap purposes, it is possible.

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2015, 12:04:06 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
People say the guy never won anything in his career before, the guy was part of a Wolves squad that almost posted a winning record in the almighty Western Conference, so he has been part of 'winning'.

This is one of the least accurate definitions that has ever been posted on this blog.

So his last season there when they were at or around .500 in a way better conference means nothing,
They had 17-13 record against the East
24-17 record at home.
10th Best point differential in the entire league.

Get your facts straight sport.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:41:33 AM by GC003332 »

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2015, 12:05:48 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
There is sacrifice and then there is sacrifice, the guy is 26 years old and was reduced to a 3rd sometimes 4th wheel in their offence.Total waste of his talents as a basketball player,people go on about winning a ring like it is the be all and end all, maximise your own abilities first and foremost.
Go ring chasing the last few years of your career if need be.
People say the guy never won anything in his career before, the guy was part of a Wolves squad that almost posted a winning record in the almighty Western Conference, so he has been part of 'winning'.

:D :D
SO basketball is no more about winning rings. Its all about maximizing your stats now huh?! Plus this is coming from a Cs fan huh? :D :D
More than half the teams in the league know when the season starts that they have little or no chance to win the title.So what are the players doing on those teams doing during the season?
Trying to get better contracts, that is what they are doing.
Most lottery picks don't even sniff the playoffs their first few seasons in the league, got to put those numbers to get that first big deal. ;)
It is not the players fault , it's the system.

Pretty sure Gilbert is a billionaire, doesnt care about the luxury. If I remember correctly, he was paying the luxury on the Shaq/Antawn Jamison Cavs!!He only cares about winning and will happily pay Love the max regardless. The max he can pay Love also happens to be much more than the max any other team can pay him. So yh contract money is NOT an issue for Love
i'd be careful not to project my feelings onto the players, zubi  ;)
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2015, 12:23:41 AM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
There is sacrifice and then there is sacrifice, the guy is 26 years old and was reduced to a 3rd sometimes 4th wheel in their offence.Total waste of his talents as a basketball player,people go on about winning a ring like it is the be all and end all, maximise your own abilities first and foremost.

SO basketball is no more about winning rings. Its all about maximizing your stats now huh?! Plus this is coming from a Cs fan huh? :D :D
More than half the teams in the league know when the season starts that they have little or no chance to win the title.So what are the players doing on those teams doing during the season?
Most lottery picks don't even sniff the playoffs their first few seasons in the league, got to put those numbers to get that first big deal. ;)

Pretty sure Gilbert is a billionaire, doesnt care about the luxury. If I remember correctly, he was paying the luxury on the Shaq/Antawn Jamison Cavs!!He only cares about winning and will happily pay Love the max regardless. The max he can pay Love also happens to be much more than the max any other team can pay him. So yh contract money is NOT an issue for Love
i'd be careful not to project my feelings onto the players, zubi  ;)

Honestly its all good! Looking forward to happens in FA! Also looking forward to ppls reactions when he finally decides. I sure hope ppl arent going to moan about Klove leading other teams on. I mean thats exactly what happened when he went to Boston last summer are there was all the hyping about him going there. Only to turn around and tell the Minny FO he only wanted to be traded to the Cavs. I read some many post on here about how Love is a loser/Lebron lapdog and how 'he led us on/I thought he cared about Boston tradition'.

Hopefully some many who have be so convinced he was leaving would be man enough to eat their humble pie

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2015, 12:25:15 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

No but these are hyper-competitive guys. I think love believes he can be a top option on a contender, and he doesnt want to be reduced to some afterthought guy. Kevin Love may not want to be an afterthought.

Winning is important but winning means so much more when you are a top option on the team. Im sure we all know that from high school sports.

I assume most people here were at one point or another the go-to option on some sports teams and at some point they were roll players. I know that when I was the top option it felt a lot better to win games.

Kevin Love will not want to go back to a Minnesota situation where they do not have the firepower to make a dent in the playoffs. He wants to win, but he might want to do it on his own terms not Lebron's.

FWIW I expect him to stay put but i dont think its out of the question or even unlikely that he leaves Id say hes 60-40 he stays but I dont have any insider info.

Both options make a reasonable amount of sense.

I have no dog in the fight so whatever he does is great. I keep commenting because some of the logic I am seeing ppl using as to why Klove should leave is just downright embarrassing to read! I mean one went on about how Cavs have treated Love awfully all season and go out their way to make him feel un-wanted. You would think that Love/Lebron have been having a Kobe/Dwight relationship the way his was typing

Then the recent ones I replied was talking about how maximizing stats is more important than rings! Can you believe that! A fan of the 17 title Cs franchise is talking about how putting up stats is better than competing for ring :D :D

At this point it think its just better for ppl to come out and say "I hate Lebron, I hate Cavs, If Love stays, they will own the NBA for the next couple yrs, No way I want Lebron cashing in on more rings and moving up the ATG ladder! Please Klove leave"!

I mean statements like that would be way more understandable and coherent than most of the so called 'logical' ::) reasons ppl keep bringing up for Klove leaving

Stats, Numbers, Role describe it anyway you want.
I couldn't care less if he decides to stay in Cleveland or not, I just find it interesting if in the so called prime of his career he is willing to take that much of a step back and have his role reduced the way it has been.
Time will be the judge.

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2015, 12:32:42 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Let's fantasize: 
3) sign Kevin Love
4) sign DeAndre Jordan

Smart
Middleton
Crowder
Love
Jordan

IT
Turner
Olynyk or Sully
Zeller
Young
Rookie
Rookie

I stand by that assertion, although noting we also have to trade one of Olynyk, Sully, and Zeller in one deal, and Turner in the other. I also stand by my simultaneous assertion that it's not going to happen.  But for cap purposes, it is possible.
The original proposal made no mention of doing a sign and trade for Jordan or Love.  If Bradley and Wallace are being trade for Middleton, who is going to be traded to get Love or Jordan?  The original proposal also kept around too many players with too much salary to make it possible.  Of course it is not going to happen but that's true of most of the proposals around here.