Poll

Would you give Sully a Max deal. If he Avg's 17ppg 10 rpg

Yes Do It.
1 (1.4%)
Heck No. He will go right back to the Cheeseburger diet.
27 (37%)
If he does play well next year. Trade Him.
23 (31.5%)
I would extend him at 10 million per year range.
22 (30.1%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Poll: Give Sullinger the Max if he has a great season.  (Read 6527 times)

Re: Poll: Give Sullinger the Max if he has a great season.
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2015, 11:30:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm a big fan of Sully, but I don't know how this is even a consideration at this point. He needs to improve vastly to even begin asking the question, just having a good/great season doesn't cut it. His free agency year the max would be a bit too absurd for him as it is, and even with an improved season under his belt by then.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 06:45:25 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2015, 11:33:00 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'm a big fan of Sully, but I don't know how this is even a consideration at this point. He needs to improve vastly to even begin asking the question, just having a good/great season doesn't cut it. His free agency year ta max would be a bit too absurd for him as it is, and even with an improved season under his belt by then.

agree

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2015, 11:33:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
max? no.

if he's healthy all year, puts up 16/9 and shows improvement on defense, I'd extend him at $10 mill but this would also depend on who Danny picks up in the draft and free agency this offseason

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 12:07:09 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Why do people love this guy? He sucks.

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 12:23:48 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
17 and 10 may get him $10M and that is being generous taking into account the new cap.

If he puts up 22 and 12, then I could see him getting the max, but at that point it would be better to trade him, because I imagine that he will have reached his peak.

God forbid he reach his peak putting up Barkley averages  ::)

Eh, not crazy about the eye-rolling emoticon. You just misunderstood what I said.

If he somehow ever put up 22 and 12 next season, that would be incredible, but I can't imagine you could ever count on him sustaining those numbers and I would be afraid of a sharp decline. When I said, 'peak', I meant going crazy in a contact year and then reverting back to what we all know. If somebody is going to pay him max dollars in the new CBA, I'd rather it not be us.

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2015, 01:00:11 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Kind of worried that Sullinger is the sort who will get fat (or fatter) after scoring a big contract.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2015, 01:05:58 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I still believe in you sully!

You got game!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2015, 04:17:20 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
My sources tell me that Sully will be training over the summer with Antoine Walker... at Burger King.

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2015, 06:59:56 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Why do people love this guy? He sucks.

Welp.

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2015, 08:19:11 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think the salary cap is expected to make a large jump next summer - so no, I do not see a situation where Sully is worth the max under the higher cap.

Main concerns about Sully even if he does put up 17/10 are:

(1) How good his conditioning and physical shape is (throughout the year)
(2) How good his defense is -- it was lousy this past season. That cannot continue.
(3) How efficient his scoring is -- only 50% TS% past two seasons.

How well he does in those areas are main factors in determining whether he'll earn (a) starter-money (b) quasi-star money (c) genuine star money.

(1) Agreed.

(2) Was quite disappointed with the defensive effort he showcased last season. The activity he showed after his injury late in the season and playoffs give me some promise that he might return to form. His rookie year his defense was a disaster, then in December or so he turned the corner, particularly with his defensive rotations and became a very dependable defender for us... more importantly when KG was on the bench. Want to see a return to that, and I thought I saw some of that in the playoffs.

(3) I think his TS% is more of an effect of his shot selection than anything else, and maybe even some because of coach's directives. I'm a big believer that the 3-point shot will be a huge weapon for him, sadly it hasn't paid dividends yet. We'll see.

But he can score the ball from just about anywhere in the floor, and if he was tasked with shooting from the elbow area to just inside the 3-point arc I think we'd see a spike in the TS% because he's VERY good from those areas. It's his most under-appreciated and least used weapon. His TS% in the playoffs was 60% though, so some more of that would be nice to see.

One area that he needs to improve though is his free-throw shooting, I think he should be much better from the line.

-----------------------------------------------

In the end, though I'm not talking about MAX right now, his staying power will be highly dependent on what we do with our cap space this year, and what opportunities we find ourselves with in 2016.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised by Ainge taking a risk on a rookie contract extension before the season is over and hedge that he'll get good value on it, at the same time Ainge will probably prefer to go into the offseason with some level of flexibility to go after the big guys in free-agency, as much as those opportunities seem a bit far fetched to me (the good ones)... and the guys that may be actually available to us will be either a combination of "non-interest" to me and "overpaid as heck" once every single team in the NBA will be throwing money around.

Honestly, depending on how Sullinger looks during the Summer and how he arrives at camp and how salary cap situation looks going into 2016, a rookie contract extension would be of interest to me personally as I'm a fan of Sullinger, and he's still very young to boot so that's good. But I'll hold off on committing on this for the time being until I have a better understanding on how our cap will be looking after the moves this Summer and how Sullinger is looking physically.

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2015, 09:59:51 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
My answer to this poll depends on a number of things:

1 - How great a season?
* I'd expect his conditioning to improve to the point where he can play at least 32-33 MPG
* I'd expect him to get his 3PT% to stay consistently around 33%-35% for the season
* I'd expect him to get back to taking at least 40% of his attempts <3 feet
* I'd expect his FT rate to increase significantly above the current horribly woeful 18%
* I'd expect his overall numbers to be at least 16/9/3 and 46%/33%/74% in at least 32+ MPG
* I'd expect his defense to become at least starting caliber (e.g. DRPM at least top 30 at his position)

2 - What else has happened with the roster?
* Have we picked up any strong PF's in the draft who have had a promising first year?
* Have we had an opportunity to trade for a superior PF?
* Have we managed to sign a skilled FA big (Aldridge, Monroe, etc)?

If all of the above have basically been answered with a yes, then I would probably offer Sully an extension at around $10M a year at the most.

Definitely wouldn't offer him a max contract...even a fit, healthy Sully is probably not worth that.

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2015, 10:38:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Kind of worried that Sullinger is the sort who will get fat (or fatter) after scoring a big contract.

History shows he really doesn't have the maturity to ...embrace a NEW lifestyle change that will take to keep the weight off.

I personally doubt he will remain fit

IF ...he gets there

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2015, 10:44:41 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I still believe in you sully!

You got game!

Yeah, now if only he could 'do the right thing' ;), in terms of nutrition and fitness, ahaha ;D.

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2015, 10:53:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
His points and rebounds were never the problem, it is his defense and conditioning that were deplorable.