Author Topic: GSW - Deepest team in NBA History?  (Read 11152 times)

Re: GSW - Deepest team in NBA History?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 10:41:08 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Jerry West knows how to build a championship team. Remember, he's also the one that assembled that Kobe-Shaq Lakers.

As for deepest team in histoy? No, not even close.

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 10:52:44 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Wedman and Sichting weren't much above replacement level even for bench guys

I do not think you know much about Wedman at all.  He was almost a 20 PPG scorer at times in his career before coming to the C's

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wedmasc01.html

He was also a two time allstar for KC!

Wedman was a proficient shooter. He represented the Kansas City Kings twice in the NBA All-Star Game. During his time in Kansas City, Wedman gained the nickname "The Incredible Hulk" because of his extensive sessions in the weight room. On March 4, 1979, Wedman was involved in a 1-car accident in which his Porsche overturned on a rainy highway in Kansas City. At the time, doctors credited his conditioning with keeping him out of action for only a few games.

He hit a career summit in 1979-80 and 1980–81, with a scoring average of 19.0 points per game. On January 2, 1980, he scored 45 points in an overtime win at Utah for his career high. Wedman was a key to Kansas City's postseason success in 1981. Despite finishing the regular season with only a 40-42 record, the Kings caught fire in the playoffs, beating Portland and Phoenix before losing in the Western Conference finals to Houston in five games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Wedman

What exactly are you basing your presumption on or are you not aware of this?

Yeah, I was just going to say that.  If Wedman had been so easily replaceable ::), Darren Daye and Fred Roberts would have been in the running for 6th man of the year in 87, lol ;D. Ugh. Wedman wasn't fast, or especially quick, but he was an excellent rebounder, one of the best pure shooters of his era, if not all time, and had lightning quick hands like Chris Mullin, which meant that he wasn't a complete liability on defense.

Oh please. I know Wedman's history and he played some decent games for the C's that year. But in 1986 he was a shadow of his former productive self. You're talking about things that happened several years before that season.

Heck, he played a total of 6 games in the NBA after that 1986 season. You simply can't argue that he was as productive as any of the Pistons guys I mentioned.

Did you miss when McHale went down, Wedman took his place, and the team went 15-3 against clubs like the Lakers?

http://lexnihilnovi.blogspot.com/2008/03/1986-cs-go-15-3-with-wedman-starting.html

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2015, 11:18:31 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Oh please. I know Wedman's history and he played some decent games for the C's that year. But in 1986 he was a shadow of his former productive self.

Even if that were true, how is that any different from this Warriors team?  You could say the same for half of this team's roster:

David Lee
Andrew Bogut
Shaun Livingston
Andre Iguodala
Leandro Barbosa

Iggy is the only guy on that list who is relatively close to the player he once was - the other guys (between injury, age and declining skills) are probably all 1-2 years away from retirement.

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 11:34:04 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
It terms of Hall of Famers, how many championships and seasons like this would this Golden State team have to put together to get multiple guys in?

Honestly, I don't see anyone on this Warrior's team who looks to have a HOF future outside of Curry.

MAYBE Green if he can become a more rounded offensive player and win a two or more rings. 

I don't think Thompson has HOF potential.  I think he'll be a really good player, but don't think he'll ever be HOF good.

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 12:28:31 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Oh please. I know Wedman's history and he played some decent games for the C's that year.

I call BS, you did not know it or you would not have said it because it makes zero sense.  If you want to keep deeping a hole for yourself that is on you.

In Boston, he was instrumental as a player off the bench in the Celtics' NBA championships in 1984 and 1986. Boston fans remember Wedman's performance in the Memorial Day Massacre, an appellation for Game 1 of the 1985 NBA Finals. Coming off the bench, Wedman hit all 11 of his shots, including four three-pointers, in Boston's 148-114 win over the Lakers. He often spelled Larry Bird and Kevin McHale or replaced them whenever they were injured.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Wedman

His talent was precisely the reason Red went out and got him.

Wedman was a decent bench player in that 1986 year and nothing more.  He had a good stretch mid-year, but it wasn't more impressive than what many other players have done in similar situations. And he played a total of 2 minutes in the 1986 finals series due to injuries. He wasn't a factor.

To get back to my point - that Detroit bench was better. Salley, Rodman and Johnson were all better than Wedman was at that point in their careers.

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 10:10:57 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
San An last year was probably just as deep and frankly a better team than the Warriors.  Heck a healthy Cavs team is probably just as deep if not deeper (Irving, James, Love, Mozgov, Varejao, Thompson, Smith, Shumpert, Della, Perkins, Marion, Haywood).

Sorry I completely disagree with you on that one about the cavs. Marion, Perk, and Haywood are all end of the bench scrubs at this point in their careers who are on their way out of the league after this year, and Varejao hasn't been healthy in years. James Jones does more for the Cavs than any of those 4 guys. Outside of their three they have Mozgov, Thompson, Smith, and Shumpert. Delladova is okay, but nothing special.

Compare that to the Warriors (Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes, Bogut, Iguodala, Livingston, Speights, Ezeli, Lee, Barbosa) and I'm taking the Warriors, and I don't think twice.
Marion played 32 minutes a game last year for Dallas averaged over 10 ppg and 6 rpg.  Perkins is 30 years old and went from a fairly critical bench role in OKC to barely playing in Cleveland.  That is a result of the depth of the Cavs.  I will give you Haywood isn't all that much but the last time he played in Charlotte he was a 20 minute a game player. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2015, 10:20:57 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Perkins is 30 years old and went from a fairly critical bench role in OKC to barely playing in Cleveland.  That is a result of the depth of the Cavs.

I'd actually say that's more of a result of going from playing under Scott Brooks to playing under David Blatt. Despite the criticism, Brooks was a good coach with quite a few strengths; not being absurdly reliant on veterans to the extent that it was detrimental to the team wasn't one of them.

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2015, 02:34:39 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Do I get some props for the foresight? haha