Author Topic: Does anyone actually believe the celtics are going to stay put at 16?  (Read 5335 times)

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I just find it hard to believe. Why I don't read the rumor mill too much because rumors come and go anyways and usually it's about finding the right fit with the celtics anyways.   I had Marcus Smart last year.  I think I was the only one.  Also have had the celtics picks most years because I look for the right fit and don't follow what's trending. I think the celtics are going to be aggressive in free agency and with trades this draft and trying to pin point who they might be targetting at this point is kind of pointless.  The media is here to drum up discussion but I find it more a distraction than anything else.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I just find it hard to believe. Why I don't read the rumor mill too much because rumors come and go anyways and usually it's about finding the right fit with the celtics anyways.   I had Marcus Smart last year.  I think I was the only one.  Also have had the celtics picks most years because I look for the right fit and don't follow what's trending. I think the celtics are going to be aggressive in free agency and with trades this draft and trying to pin point who they might be targetting at this point is kind of pointless.  The media is here to drum up discussion but I find it more a distraction than anything else.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

6 Boston Marcus Smart 6-3 227 PG Oklahoma State

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/list/

6   Celtics Marcus Smart  PG 21 yrs; 6'3"; 227 lbs.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't believe it in the slightest.  Why?

Because of this:
http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/celtics-work-out-six-prospects-wednesday

Boston just worked out 6 guys who are all projected as either late second round, or undrafted. 

Teams have a limited number of workouts available from what I understand, so if you have two first round picks that you intend on using, why would you waste 6 workouts on guys who may not even get drafted at all?

I'm thinking Boston aren't bothering to work out guys in the 16-28 range because they have no intention of drafting anybody there.  I'm thinking that they are probably already in discussions with another team that involve trading both of those first round picks either to move up in the top 10, or to acquire an established talent.

Personally, I hope that's true...

Don't get me wrong, Danny is very good at picking talent in those draft ranges.  He picked Sully at #21 In 2012 and Olynyk at #16 in 2013 - I think it's safe to say that looking back now, in hindsight, both guys have proven to be at least top 8 in their class.

But while it's possible to find solid players in the draft in those ranges, I think it's extremely rare to find a future star at any position outside the top 10-12.  Each year you might have 1 or two players drafted between 15-30 that end up becoming really good players.  Two out of 15 is not very good odds, and even then the ones who do end up stars tend to take a few years to develop to that point (e.g. Giannis and Schroeder were shocking in their rookie years).

So if we can trade those picks and get a quality starter (one that's not too old) in return, then I'm all for that.   

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

as ever, boris, you are a delight to have on this blog. nice job, tp.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I had Marcus Smart as well - just felt that he looked like the most NBA ready player that the Celtics had a good chance of getting.  I thought Parker, Wiggins, Exum and Embiid would all go before the Celtics could pick...and I thought neither Gordon (zero offense) not Randle (less skilled version of Sully) would make much sense for the team.

I thought it was between Smart and Vonleh, but that they'd probably go for Smart because he just seemed to 'fit' so well. 

Firstly everyone who 50/50 on what would happen with Rondo in free agency, so drafting a PG prospect gave a nice backup plan (worked out well).  Secondly Smart was known for being tough, hard working, very coachable, good basketball IQ, great leadership skills - that's the type of character the Celtics usually look for.  Finally he was already had fairly NBA ready skills (in his defence) so he's somebody who could likely contribute right away...and I had a feeling that Boston wanted to keep their 'rebuilding' window to a minimum and become competitive again ASAP.

Vonleh unquestionably had the skills and upside, and his skill set was exactly what the Celtics needed, but he also seemed very raw (likely to take 203 seasons before he could contribute) and didn't look like he had great IQ or much of a leader's mentality. 

So I picked Smart.

To be fair, the OP is kind of right.  Very few mock drafts had Boston picking Smart.  Probably 75% of all mock drafts had us taking either Randle or Gordon, with the remaining 25% splitting between Smart and Vonleh.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I very vividly  remember swearing at the tv and saying "*bad word*-ing triboy was right." when they picked Gordon at 4.

I think the Celtics are always in talks to move, but it's not like they're the Morey Rockets, who have made a draft day trade every year.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

To be fair, the OP is kind of right.  Very few mock drafts had Boston picking Smart.  Probably 75% of all mock drafts had us taking either Randle or Gordon, with the remaining 25% splitting between Smart and Vonleh.

I probably came off as more catty and less lighthearted than I intended to, but on a more serious note I did check most of the major sites. Ford didn't have us taking Smart (at least as far as I can tell...). Spears did.

That said, DE is in my opinion the most reliable over the last few years, and I'd venture that it's the site visited by most "serious" fans.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The consensus pick for us at #6 was Embiid (6 mocks) and Smart (5 mocks) of 12 mocks tracked by the NBA last year:

http://www.nba.com/news/2014-consensus-mock-draft/

There was a lot of thought Embiid would slip and given Danny's willingness to take on risk and ability due to his trove of picks that  BOS was the logical landing spot.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't believe it in the slightest.  Why?

Because of this:
http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/celtics-work-out-six-prospects-wednesday

Boston just worked out 6 guys who are all projected as either late second round, or undrafted. 

Teams have a limited number of workouts available from what I understand, so if you have two first round picks that you intend on using, why would you waste 6 workouts on guys who may not even get drafted at all?

I'm thinking Boston aren't bothering to work out guys in the 16-28 range because they have no intention of drafting anybody there.  I'm thinking that they are probably already in discussions with another team that involve trading both of those first round picks either to move up in the top 10, or to acquire an established talent.

I've never heard of a workout limit.  You may be confused by the limit of 18 interview slots at the combine. 

It has already been reported that the Celtics have met with Willie Cauley-Stein, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, RJ Hunter, Stanley Johnson, Kelly Oubre, Robert Upshaw, and Justise Winslow and worked out Justin Anderson and Bobby Portis.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I can see Ainge making all four picks but not bringing four rookies to training camp.  28 and 33 would be a great place for a couple of draft-n-stash Euros.

Mike

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
I can see Ainge making all four picks but not bringing four rookies to training camp.  28 and 33 would be a great place for a couple of draft-n-stash Euros.

Mike

I agree about 33 but 28 is a tough place to draft a Euro, because it's easier to arrange a buyout with a 2nd round pick:

But perhaps the biggest reason the second round is home to more internationals is because there is no salary scale for second-round picks. That makes dealing with contract buyouts more feasible. While NBA teams can only contribute up to $600,000 directly to a foreign buyout in 2014, in the case of second-round picks the NBA team can give the player a higher salary, part of which goes toward paying the buyout.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/25/5820488/nba-draft-2014-international-prospects-dante-exum-dario-saric

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think it's business as usual for the C's. They will bounce if the deal is right but are fine with doing nothing.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We will try to trade up.  We will try to trade out.  We might not have a choice, though.  Trading down is a possibility as well.

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I bet there is a better than 50% chance we pick at 16. Probably about 50% for a draft night deal but it doesn't have to include the 16th pick.

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I really hope not.  The talent at 16 is less than interesting.  There seems to be a huge drop off after 11 or 12.  They already have a young, deep team full of role players.  They don't need more of that.  They need to move up or trade for better talent and they have the picks to make it happen.