Author Topic: Rodnae Hollis-Jefferson  (Read 7923 times)

Re: Rodnae Hollis-Jefferson
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 07:32:29 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Look at this workout!!:
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Rondae-Hollis-Jefferson-Workout-Video-and-Interview-5005

His shot is looking a lot better and if it just took him a couple of pre-draft workouts to make drastic improvement on his jumper, imagine how much improvement he could make with 2 NBA offseasons??

Really like Rodnae Hollis-Jefferson and if he shoots like this then I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him at 16.

What do you guys think???

These workout videos are just highlight videos or a workout. Even worse then judging a player based on game highlights. I would say that just about every guy with a high school bench player level of talent could put together a workout video and make himself look like a decent shooter.

That aside I am all in for drafting RHJ at #16 and have my fears that he will be taken #14 by OKC. Im not a big fan of player comps but his ceiling that is only reached with miraculous jump shot improvement is Kawi Leonard and his floor is Tony Allen. At #16 if the Cs have a chance to draft a 6'7 20 year old TA I would take that any day. I have been a big fan of RHJ since his freshman year and think he is a cant miss pick. He may never be a scoring threat in the league but his elite defense will make him a fan favorite and a valuable rotational player. This is all you can ask for outside of the lottery. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 08:44:32 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I don't blame Rondae and his people for making a video that attempts to make it look like he can shoot.

Despite their best efforts, that shot still looks busted.

Yeah. Even to my untrained eye, there's a hitch.

But then MKG's hitch got fixed and that was horrific.

I don't know if Michael Kidd-Gilchrist's hitch got fixed or not, but I do know that so far he's shot .167 from three point range over the course of his NBA career.

I live very near Charlotte, but am in NO way a Hornets' fan (probably more like a Hornets' HATER:-)), but this is a little unfair.  MKG knows his range does not extend out to the three point arch and therefore attempted ZERO attempts from their this year!!  He has taken a total of 18 attempts in three stinking years!!  He shot 46.5% from the floor and 70.1% at the line.  Not bad for a guy that allegedly canNOT shoot!!  Not to mention he finished 15th in votes for All-NBA Defense.  This kid's upside is HUGE.  Wish we had him!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2015, 08:55:05 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
RHJ at 16 might be a decent pick. He's not a shooter, but he can really defend and he can really finish at the rim. That's not bad value at 16, he can be a very useful player especially next to a stretch 4.

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 09:09:25 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I don't blame Rondae and his people for making a video that attempts to make it look like he can shoot.

I don't know if Michael Kidd-Gilchrist's hitch got fixed or not, but I do know that so far he's shot .167 from three point range over the course of his NBA career.

I live very near Charlotte, but am in NO way a Hornets' fan (probably more like a Hornets' HATER:-)), but this is a little unfair.  MKG knows his range does not extend out to the three point arch and therefore attempted ZERO attempts from their this year!!  He has taken a total of 18 attempts in three stinking years!!  He shot 46.5% from the floor and 70.1% at the line.  Not bad for a guy that allegedly canNOT shoot!!  Not to mention he finished 15th in votes for All-NBA Defense.  This kid's upside is HUGE.  Wish we had him!!!!

Smitty77

good observation with MKG,
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 10:20:21 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Smitty77

I'm not saying that Kidd-Gilchrist isn't a good player.  I'm saying he's not a good perimeter jump shooter. 

As Celtics fans, we should know first hand that it's possible for a player to be very, very good without being a particularly good perimeter jump shooter. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 10:36:31 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If we can't move up in the draft I would be happy with RHJ.

Drafting him would give us 3 players with the potential to be elite defenders for their position. He is versatile defensively and can guard 1-4 pretty well.

He isn't a great shooter right now, but shooting has shown to be the easiest skill to improve going from college to the nba. Furthermore many stats guys like Kevin Pelton, think there is a strong correlation between a players college free throw percentage and his 3 nba point %. RHJ shot 70+% from the free throw line which gives me hope for his shot long term.

RHJ would immediately be the best athlete on the team. Due to his athleticism and ball handling he is great in transition. Last season the C's were near the top of the league in transition opportunities but closer to the bottom of the league in transition efficiency. I think RHJ could help with that.

Lastly, I think his ball handling in the open court indicates that he will eventually develop into a very good ball  handler who can create in the half court off the dribble. If he can provide that then you can surround him with 3 point shooting and it won't hurt your offense too much.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 10:50:25 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Smitty77

I'm not saying that Kidd-Gilchrist isn't a good player.  I'm saying he's not a good perimeter jump shooter. 

As Celtics fans, we should know first hand that it's possible for a player to be very, very good without being a particularly good perimeter jump shooter.
true. and we should also know that when you put TWO such players together on the floor on offense, defenses can ignore them and instead double team the 1 to 2 credible shooters on the floor.

this is my concern about hollis-johnson. i am sure he is a great defensive player, but the team really needs offensive and someone who can help spread the floor on offense.

but then again, sigh, ainge should not draft based upon need, but upon bpa.

i am just hoping someone who is both a better player and a scorer is available at #16.  :-\
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 11:31:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I could live with this pick, this is the hardest position to guard in the NBA, SF.   Best be elite in guarding it, maybe they can coach him into form on his shot.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I'd really like the C's to pick the best player available, but at the same time we must realize that this is a pretty weak draft. The talent undoubtedly lies between pick 1-10, and the players available after #10 are pretty much role players at best.
So unless Kelly Oubre is available at #16 I'd be perfectly fine with Danny drafting Rondae early.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Apparently his mid range is a lot better. Apparently.
This is true. When I watched him play the celtics, we gave him the midrange shot all game and he drained it. No 3pt shot, but he does have a nice midrange shot.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
If we can't move up, I'm hoping on RHJ at 16; with his grit and defense, he was born to be a C.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

This is true. When I watched him play the celtics, we gave him the midrange shot all game and he drained it. No 3pt shot, but he does have a nice midrange shot.

On two point shot attempts from 10 feet out to the three point line.

12-13 = 58 makes out of 203 attempts for 28.6% FG% in 2000 minutes
13-14 = 28 makes out of 93 attempts for 30.1% FG% in 1500 minutes
14-15 = 70 makes out of 177 attempts for 39.5% FG% in 1600 minutes

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 02:18:09 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

but...but...splutter...splutter....he plays defense!!!!  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

That proves my point that he's getting better.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2015, 04:22:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

That proves my point that he's getting better.
how does this show he improved over time, and especially recently?  ???
- Vandana Shiva