Author Topic: What are the Celtics trying to accomplish next year  (Read 7924 times)

What are the Celtics trying to accomplish next year
« on: May 22, 2015, 05:16:21 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Trade Avery Bradley for a draft pick. Trade Sullinger. Trade Kelly O. For a pair of Nike's. Are we trying to get out of the first round next year. Or do we unload assets and prepare for a big draft.

Re: What are the Celtics trying to accomplish next year
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 05:27:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What the Celtics try to accomplish next year will depend entirely on what moves they can manage to pull off this summer.

Undoubtedly, the bigger goal will remain building a perennial contender.  But for now, simply putting a team out there that can win the division is probably a tough enough challenge.

I can't imagine the team selling off half the roster and going in the tank again.  They've stripped it down pretty much as far as they can go without firing the coach and selling off guys on bargain deals for second round picks.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 05:46:54 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Trade Avery Bradley for a draft pick. Trade Sullinger. Trade Kelly O. For a pair of Nike's. Are we trying to get out of the first round next year. Or do we unload assets and prepare for a big draft.

What would make you think that? Especially with Ainge recently saying the following:

“I think free agency is hard,” Ainge said Thursday. “I think it’s unlikely but possible. So we’re going to go after any and everybody that we think is a significant player to upgrade our talent roster. And when I say upgrade our talent, you’ve got to be pretty good to upgrade our talent because we have good players. So, we’re going after all the top names on the list and see what happens.”

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 05:48:53 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
One thing you can count on with Ainge is that he has plan a through z. He isnt coming into this offseason saying we need to do any one particular thing.

I think it could go a lot of ways.

Ideally he signs some big FAs trades picks for vets like Gibson, Noah, Faried etc and we return to contention.

I dont think Ainge would mind adding one or two decent value guys and moving forward with basically the same squad.

I also dont think Ainge would be all that against moving on from KO, Sully, AB, and IT4 if it can get him a huge haul of picks.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 05:50:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It's the same thing we do every year, Kagey.

Try to take over the world!
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 06:14:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If we are not spending money on a big free agent or two, I'd prefer to see Ainge dismantle most of this team and build up the team through high draft picks.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 06:32:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Ainge has said he would like for us to become to gain talent.

“A rim protector will not take precedence over a better player,” Ainge said. “We need to improve our talent level. It’s not like we’re out there looking for a second baseman or a cornerback. We’re looking for a basketball player who can play both ends of the floor and defend his position.

Above all, though, they need scoring, from any available position, as coach Brad Stevens recently noted.

And “scoring” actually is a term used to describe something especially poignant to Celtics improvement.

“Scoring is just a code word for a good player,” president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said. “Finishing is important. That’s someone who is going to help your team.

“Scoring is always a big thing, not the only thing, but end of the game scoring is very important.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2015/05/celtics_put_talent_above_all_needs_at_combine

A lot of peeps think we need to get more athletic across the board as well.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 07:10:37 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
If we are not spending money on a big free agent or two, I'd prefer to see Ainge dismantle most of this team and build up the team through high draft picks.

I agree.  The Javalle McGees and Demarre Carrols of the NBA world do very little for me.   

I don't know much about what the 2016 draft has to offer, but there is a legit chance that next year is a game-changer for the C's.   Tons of cap space along with 4 possible #1 picks.  I hope Ainge is thinking hard about who he can draft and stash in this year's draft.  After this draft, the Lakers will have 1 of their future Big 3 and possibly another via FA.   The C's have a "maybe" in Smart -- who might be just a very good role player rather than a top-tier talent. C's can't rely on a bunch of big heart/ moderate talent players.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 07:15:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I wouldn't necessarily be against that, although it would make this past year feel like a total waste.

Dismantling this team would mean, what, though?

Trade Sullinger and Olynyk for unproven young bench guys and / or late 1st round picks. 

Dump Bradley for a 1st rounder (or, ideally, use him to move up in the draft). 

Trade IT for a pick or two. 

Give lots of playing time to the four or five rookies they draft this summer plus James Young and Smart. 

Look into trading away Zeller for a couple younger players with higher upside but no proven ability.

Dismantling what they have now isn't going to help you much besides ensuring that the team loses more games.  You're not going to get any superior future assets by trading away any of these guys.

It also might actually drive Stevens to consider a different coaching opportunity, since he seems to really want a consistent group that he can build over time.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 07:19:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I wouldn't necessarily be against that, although it would make this past year feel like a total waste.

Trade Sullinger and Olynyk for unproven young bench guys and / or late 1st round picks. 

Give lots of playing time to the four or five rookies they draft this summer plus James Young and Smart. 

Look into trading away Zeller for a couple younger players with higher upside but no proven ability.

Dismantling what they have now isn't going to help you much besides ensuring that the team loses more games.  You're not going to get any superior future assets by trading away any of these guys.

It also might actually drive Stevens to consider a different coaching opportunity, since he seems to really want a consistent group that he can build over time.

It gets the team a higher draft pick next year and the years after. That is the purpose.

To build team through multiple top 5 draft picks.

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 07:23:28 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
What the Celtics try to accomplish next year will depend entirely on what moves they can manage to pull off this summer.

Undoubtedly, the bigger goal will remain building a perennial contender.  But for now, simply putting a team out there that can win the division is probably a tough enough challenge.

I can't imagine the team selling off half the roster and going in the tank again.  They've stripped it down pretty much as far as they can go without firing the coach and selling off guys on bargain deals for second round picks.
agreed. however, i dont think ainge would be bitterly disappointed and want to clean house if their w/l dropped from this year. this last team over achieved and it will be interesting to see whether CBS can work his magic once again. i have doubts about next season, but then i was proven to be totally wrong about the last few months of the last season.

CBS got this rag-tag bunch of characters to win. can you say "major league"??

last season was cleaning house. upcoming season is building a house. they keys, as you mention, will be whom they can bring in via FA, trades, and draft.

i dont think ainge will be unhappy if the rebuild takes another year or two. he is a patient guy. he may be planning to make trades this year, draft in the next few years, but wait until 2016 to go all in for free agents.

but it all depends on what deals he can swing. it will be fun to watch.  :D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 07:24:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

It gets the team a higher draft pick next year and the years after. That is the purpose.

To build team through multiple top 5 draft picks.

Yeah, I understand, and I'm not one of those people who believe Boston needs to win just because we're Boston and too good to tank.

That said, I think if Ainge were interested in going all-out for top 5 picks, things would not have gone the way they did this year. 

Ainge is all about stockpiling assets and incrementally improving the team while maintaining flexibility. 

At this point, the roster is too talented to be in the mix for a top 5 pick, so he would need to actively sell off guys for less than they are worth, gaining nothing but a higher likelihood of losing games and thus a better chance of picking high in the next draft.  Doesn't really seem like Ainge's MO.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 07:45:03 PM »

Offline Dennis_D

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
The Celtics have the following players under contract for next season:
Wallace
Thomas
Bradley
Smart
Turner
Olynyk
Zeller
Young
Sullinger
Pressey (unguaranteed)
Babb (unguaranteed)

Ignoring Wallace, Pressey and Babb, here is how I would put them into a depth chart:
C - ??? / Zeller / Olynyk
PF - ??? / Sullinger
SF - Turner / Young
SG - Bradley / ???
PG - Smart / Thomas

Goal #1 - Fill in the spots that are currently unfilled
Goal #2 - Upgrade the talent at some of the spots with names

Easy peasy!

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 07:50:17 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I think he can get worse from this year and may not even get into the first round again next year

As pacers will be back with Paul George
Lakers will try to get out of the lottery as their picks belongs to 76ers if it is not in the top 3
76ers will improve slightly having embiid return from injury and whatever guy they choose this year
Orlando sorts out their roster and coaching problems as they still have a ton of young talent
Utah will compete for a late playoff spot as shown from their improvement after trading kanter
Minnesota will gain a nice young core and have some healthy productive veterans like Martin, Rubio and pekovic

So we may need to trade some pieces to get worse
But we shouldn't just flip everyone

I say we can trade guys that won't be a big part of our future 
So flip Thomas, crowder (as much as I like him) , olynyk, zeller

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Hopefully not get swept in the playoffs and lose out on a top pick. The East will be better next year and we may not make it even if we get better. So I could see a inge trading the higher demand players and getting better position for the draft.