Author Topic: Why the Fascination in trading AB?  (Read 6299 times)

Why the Fascination in trading AB?
« on: May 22, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
I see a lot of people dying to trade AB. There was a rumor we could get pick 12 for him, or even 12 and Hood for him. Others are saying we should use him with pick 16 to move up to 8 or 9.... Why the fascination in trading him? I personally don't like him that much, but how is that worth it? If we trade him for #12, who will our 2 be.. James Young? It's too soon to judge Young but he could be a bust and last year showed he's nowhere near being ready to start, and I'm AGAINST starting IT because then he loses his value as a bench sparkplug. Why the fascination in trading him when the 2 is so hard to fill?

Re: Why the Fascination in trading AB?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 11:11:18 AM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
AB is a strong role player on both ends of the floor who is skilled enough to start. He has what now seems like a good contract, and he is still pretty young. Many teams seem to have some interest in him. We have a team of role players, many of them good, most of them except for Bradley are free agents this summer. We need to start trading some of our role players in deals to get better caliber talent. That makes him a good trade asset.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 11:21:44 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I have no idea,  but I also don't see him getting traded.   The organization has put a ton of time and effort, not to mention money, in developing him since he was drafted.   I can't believe they would want to do that just to let another team get him going into his prime.

It seems to me he's gotten better every year.  I'm not sure what else you could ask for.   

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
AB is a strong role player on both ends of the floor who is skilled enough to start. He has what now seems like a good contract, and he is still pretty young. Many teams seem to have some interest in him. We have a team of role players, many of them good, most of them except for Bradley are free agents this summer. We need to start trading some of our role players in deals to get better caliber talent. That makes him a good trade asset.

Agreed.

For example, I could see Miami being pretty interested. AB's on decent money and could play with either Dragic or Wade. That's a tough 3-main rotation.

If Danny loves someone at #10, I'd be willing to move AB plus a pick to move up.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 11:41:36 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
That's an overpay to trade Bradley AND a pick for number 10. Maybe straight up, but even then... I'm not a fan of helping a team in our conference.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 11:52:10 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I really like AB, he has gotten better every year, and plays his heart out every night. If the shots aren't falling he is most likely locking it down on the defensive end. Yes, he might have value in a trade, but how much better of a prospect can there be 6 slots up in the draft. As of now there is not a clear cut projected board from 9-17 seed, a guy that the Celtics like has a good chance of falling to the 16th pick anyway.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 12:01:18 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I see a lot of people dying to trade AB. There was a rumor we could get pick 12 for him, or even 12 and Hood for him. Others are saying we should use him with pick 16 to move up to 8 or 9.... Why the fascination in trading him? I personally don't like him that much, but how is that worth it? If we trade him for #12, who will our 2 be.. James Young? It's too soon to judge Young but he could be a bust and last year showed he's nowhere near being ready to start, and I'm AGAINST starting IT because then he loses his value as a bench sparkplug. Why the fascination in trading him when the 2 is so hard to fill?

Bradley is a good role player, but there are a lot of limitations to his offensive game, and though he's still a good defender, he's less good at it now that he's expending more energy on offense.

As for who our 2-guard would be, that would be Smart—a.k.a. the guy whom many have pegged as our "point guard of the future" but who really is no such thing. He's only a point guard insofar as some people call him a point guard and are trying to make him into a point guard. Remember when the Cs tried to make Bradley a point guard? I see the Smart situation as being similar to that. Smart might be better than Bradley at dribbling and passing, but that's not saying much.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 12:19:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Bradley is my favorite current Celtic, but I wouldn't be opposed to trading him in the right deal.  I am, however, strongly opposed to people who think that trading him and his contract would be addition by subtraction and want to dump him off for an expiring contract and a draft pick.  I'm not interested in replacing him with someone like Monta Ellis or Kevin Martin.  What I would look for in a replacement is an above-average defender who is an upgrade on three-point shooting.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 12:27:38 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Because $8 million puts a cap on the pipe dream trade/free agent scenarios that people on here can have.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think his poor shooting in the playoffs might have turned people against him.

.38%FG  .26% from the three.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bradlav01.html

Usually one expects a SG to well shoot well.

His D is good, I think we have better problems, though in our bigs than in our guards.

One thing I think people like about him in proposed trades is that he is signed and is a bargain and other teams have asked about him.

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 12:52:37 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Well, trading our role players to get great player, that's one reason.
But after you have your 3 good players, you still need to fill up your roster with role player.
So I also don't know the fascination in trading AB.
Trade players that won't be part of the future and the picks. Keep the important players like AB, IT, Smart, Young, Crowder, Sully and KO.
3 great players + those 7 role players and we are good to serious contention.
Finding those 3 players isn't easy and will probably takes 2 seasons.
We have draft picks, TPE for that.

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 12:52:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Bradley is my favorite current Celtic, but I wouldn't be opposed to trading him in the right deal.  I am, however, strongly opposed to people who think that trading him and his contract would be addition by subtraction and want to dump him off for an expiring contract and a draft pick.  I'm not interested in replacing him with someone like Monta Ellis or Kevin Martin.  What I would look for in a replacement is an above-average defender who is an upgrade on three-point shooting.
TP. I agree.

If we are trading Bradley, it needs to be for a clear upgrade.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 01:05:23 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
3 reasons for you-

1. He was horrible in the playoffs this year.
2. People apparently value him around the league.
3. Marcus Smart is not a PG.

I liked AB as a feisty perimeter defender off the bench in the PP/KG era, perhaps Ainge saw him as our TA replacement; but I just don't like him as our starting SG, and he's paid to much to be coming off the bench.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 01:12:19 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I like him, but think he's undersized for an SG and is nit a true PG.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 01:14:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If you want to trade Bradley, the partner you should be looking for is a potential playoff team that has a hole at starting SG.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference