Author Topic: Best Case Scenario?  (Read 7363 times)

Best Case Scenario?
« on: May 22, 2015, 09:26:33 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
I'll lay out my best case scenarios/fantasies...

The Cs are able to trade up to the 8 or 9 spot (using Sully or KO) and grab Stanley Johnson, while also nabbing Myles Turner at 16 (or moving up using someone to get him), and then selecting Upshaw and RHJ with the other picks... I'd say this is near impossible.

OR even if we got Turner, Upshaw, RHJ I'd also be very happy.

What do you guys see as a best case scenario for the draft for the Cs?

Re: Best Case Scenario?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 09:44:38 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Best Case scenario: Not use a draft pick this draft while landing a superstar.

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 10:00:24 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Here's mine:

We start by sending #28 and #45 to Memphis for #25, just to move up slightly before the draft to get a slightly better first for trading with.

The first 5 picks are Towns, Okafor, Russell, Mudaiy, and Porzingis.  The Kings trade #6 to Denver for Ty Lawson (other things are involved too, but not Stauskas).  Denver picks Stanley Johnson, because they like him more than the other wings.  Because Denver just picked a wing and doesn't need WCS with Nurkic in the middle, they're now willing to trade with us to go back a few spots to get their point guard.  We send them #16, the better of the Dallas pick (if it conveys) or our pick next year (top 7 protected), and the Minny pick.  We draft Winslow.

Detroit is up.  SVG doesn't have time to scout foreign players well because he's also the coach, and so doesn't like Hezonja.  Meanwhile, he doesn't need WCS either because of Drummond and his hope to keep Monroe.  So he's also in a trading mood, and sends us #8 for #25 (acquired earlier), Young, and #33.  We draft WCS.

We also trade Olynyk to Sacramento for Stauskas.  This gives us #6 and #8 from 2014 and #7 and #8 from 2015.  Love sees his nemesis in Olynyk gone, and signs with us.  We re-sign one of Bass and Jerebko.  Kawhi Leonard sees Love sign here, wants to come to Boston, and we work out a sign-and-trade with Leonard coming for Wallace's salary, Winslow, Stauskas, and 2016 Nets.  (Babb or Pressey also get traded for salary matching purposes.)  We match an offer sheet for Crowder, who can back up Leonard.  This gives us the following team:

Guards: Smart/IT/AB/Turner
SF: Leonard/Crowder
PF: Love/Sully/Jerebko
C:  Zeller/WCS

Seeing this roster that looks like a real contender, The Truth decides he wants to play his final season in Boston.  The rest of the roster is filled by minimum salaries.  The basketball gods smile on Boston, and we win #18.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 10:03:25 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Best Case scenario: Not use a draft pick this draft while landing a superstar.

I like this OR

A. getting knicks pick for bradley + future picks(bkn and ours) and taking calderon
    - Draft Winslow
B. Trading Sully and 16 and whatever to move up and draft WCS

C. using a late flier on Upshaw

Prly unrealistic lineup:

Calderon/IT4(super 6th man)
Smart/turner/young
winslow/crowder(resign)
KO/Jerebko(resign)
WCS/Zeller/Upshaw

And hopefully 2-3 years the team develops into a dynasty of
Smart
Young
Winslow
KO
WCS

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 10:21:06 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
and we work out a sign-and-trade with Leonard coming for Wallace's salary, Winslow, Stauskas, and 2016 Nets.  (Babb or Pressey also get traded for salary matching purposes.) 

That seems like an awful lot for a sign-and-trade.  Outside of salary filler (like Wallace, Babb/Pressey) do actual players ever get thrown in?  It seems like sign-and-trades usually involve future 2nd round picks or very late 1sts, not young assets and future lottery picks.

That's like a 10x better haul for Leonard then Cleveland got for LeBron, so it seems a bit unnecessary to me.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 10:28:13 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
and we work out a sign-and-trade with Leonard coming for Wallace's salary, Winslow, Stauskas, and 2016 Nets.  (Babb or Pressey also get traded for salary matching purposes.) 

That seems like an awful lot for a sign-and-trade.  Outside of salary filler (like Wallace, Babb/Pressey) do actual players ever get thrown in?  It seems like sign-and-trades usually involve future 2nd round picks or very late 1sts, not young assets and future lottery picks.

That's like a 10x better haul for Leonard then Cleveland got for LeBron, so it seems a bit unnecessary to me.

When the player is a restricted free agent who's original team can match the offer, it is reasonable.  Presumably San Antonio would be willing to pay Leonard the max, so they would require real compensation to let him go.  LeBron was just able to get more money on the contract as a result of the sign-and-trade, and could have left without it.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 10:30:43 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Best case?
I'm on the road all the time and my radio rarely leaves xm's nba station.
I've heard a couple of "insiders" suggest that Flip is sold on Okafor.
Also heard that LA is high on Johnson.
Given that Philly has two young bigs and NEEDS a facilitator they may go after Mudaiy.
This opens the door a crack for towns slipping to 4.

Combine this with the recent (oddly brilliant) blog trade idea that would send IT and 16 to NY calderone and the 4th pick and we could end up with Towns. (we'd need to add a few good future first rounders but it would be worth it.)

Now that's a best case scenario!

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 10:31:54 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I'll lay out my best case scenarios/fantasies...

The Cs are able to trade up to the 8 or 9 spot (using Sully or KO) and grab Stanley Johnson, while also nabbing Myles Turner at 16 (or moving up using someone to get him), and then selecting Upshaw and RHJ with the other picks... I'd say this is near impossible.

OR even if we got Turner, Upshaw, RHJ I'd also be very happy.

What do you guys see as a best case scenario for the draft for the Cs?
best case? on eve of draft night many teams' GM go partying very late and drink too much. as a result they all sleep in very late and none of them can show up for the draft....except ainge, who is a mormon and doesnt drink alcohol.

as a result, none of the other teams can make a draft choice in a the allotted time, so at #16 danny picks towns, at 28 he picks russell, at 33 he picks mudaiy, and at 45 he gets to pick porzingus.

and thus beings the next great celtics dynasty.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 10:34:16 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

When the player is a restricted free agent who's original team can match the offer, it is reasonable.  Presumably San Antonio would be willing to pay Leonard the max, so they would require real compensation to let him go.

Ah, I guess the restricted part helps it make more sense then.  Still, is there any precedent for such a deal, a restricted free agent in a sign-and-trade like that?  Nothing comes to mind on my end.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Here's mine:

We start by sending #28 and #45 to Memphis for #25, just to move up slightly before the draft to get a slightly better first for trading with.

The first 5 picks are Towns, Okafor, Russell, Mudaiy, and Porzingis.  The Kings trade #6 to Denver for Ty Lawson (other things are involved too, but not Stauskas).  Denver picks Stanley Johnson, because they like him more than the other wings.  Because Denver just picked a wing and doesn't need WCS with Nurkic in the middle, they're now willing to trade with us to go back a few spots to get their point guard.  We send them #16, the better of the Dallas pick (if it conveys) or our pick next year (top 7 protected), and the Minny pick.  We draft Winslow.

Detroit is up.  SVG doesn't have time to scout foreign players well because he's also the coach, and so doesn't like Hezonja.  Meanwhile, he doesn't need WCS either because of Drummond and his hope to keep Monroe.  So he's also in a trading mood, and sends us #8 for #25 (acquired earlier), Young, and #33.  We draft WCS.

We also trade Olynyk to Sacramento for Stauskas.  This gives us #6 and #8 from 2014 and #7 and #8 from 2015.  Love sees his nemesis in Olynyk gone, and signs with us.  We re-sign one of Bass and Jerebko.  Kawhi Leonard sees Love sign here, wants to come to Boston, and we work out a sign-and-trade with Leonard coming for Wallace's salary, Winslow, Stauskas, and 2016 Nets.  (Babb or Pressey also get traded for salary matching purposes.)  We match an offer sheet for Crowder, who can back up Leonard.  This gives us the following team:

Seeing this roster that looks like a real contender, The Truth decides he wants to play his final season in Boston.  The rest of the roster is filled by minimum salaries.  The basketball gods smile on Boston, and we win #18.

Just curious, do you think Zeller could be the starting 5 on a championship team? Well obviously you do, so my question is this, aren't we a little weak at the 5 to win a championship?

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 10:35:36 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The Best Case Scenario's ordered by likelihood
Scenario 1. Trade for Boogie (least likely)

Scenario 2. Trade up for WCS (without giving up what likely will be our highest picks)

Scenario 3. Trade Sully and 16 to move up to get Turner, or Johnson

Scenario 4. Trade 16 or 28 to get a veteran like Batum or Gallinari

Scenario 5. Turner, Johnson, or Oubre slip.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 10:36:36 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Here's mine:

I am down for this if we cut Evan Turner. I'll even let Love slide, but if we're winning a ring I want ET to have flown home before then.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 10:37:20 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Here's mine:

Just curious, do you think Zeller could be the starting 5 on a championship team? Well obviously you do, so my question is this, aren't we a little weak at the 5 to win a championship?

First of all, I did let the basketball gods have a role in the championship.  Secondly, I feel that by playoff time, our best team would have WCS in the starting lineup. 

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 10:38:42 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Here's mine:

I am down for this if we cut Evan Turner. I'll even let Love slide, but if we're winning a ring I want ET to have flown home before then.

He's an expiring salary who can be shipped out at the trade deadline with some of our many 2nds for depth whereever it's needed.  Does that help?

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 10:51:04 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
A little.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.