Author Topic: CBSSports: 2015 NBA mock draft - Celtic picks  (Read 6777 times)

CBSSports: 2015 NBA mock draft - Celtic picks
« on: May 22, 2015, 12:50:11 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like this one. Good analysis. I would be good with these picks

16. BOSTON CELTICS
R.J. Hunter, SG, Georgia State: The Celtics could use a real shot maker after finishing 27th in the NBA this season in 3-point accuracy. Hunter would provide that despite his 30 percent mark from 3 this season, as his fluid stroke and NBA-ready range profile well on the next level. He also has a terrific feel for the game, and that will profile well with Brad Stevens, who more than most needs high IQ players in his system. The question with Hunter is defense, where despite his long arms he struggled in the Panthers' zone this season.

28. BOSTON CELTICS
Jordan Mickey, PF, LSU: His stock is moving on up after playing and testing extremely well at the combine. The Celtics need someone to protect the rim, and few did it better on the collegiate level last season than Mickey. He averaged over four blocks per 40 minutes, and also is developing a nice little face up game to make up for his lack of size. He might not ever be a starter, but he could become a nice role player in a spot that the team needs.

33. BOSTON CELTICS
Aleksandar Vezenkov, SF, Bulgaria: He's an absolutely terrific shooter, and the Celtics will need to stash at least one of their four picks.

45. BOSTON CELTICS
Cedi Osman, SF, Macedonia: An interesting, projectable small forward prospect that the Celtics can stash and see what happens.

The rest
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25192433/nba-mock-draft-draft-order-set-after-lottery

Re: CBSSports: 2015 NBA mock draft - Celtic picks
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 01:08:09 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Wouldn't mind Hunter at 16 at all. I believe Stevens could do great things with him.

I would prefer however that we use our 4 picks to move up for at most 2 picks, however, if we're not going to use these picks in trades. AB + 16 + 18 could get us as high as 6-9, where someone from the Winslow/Porzingis tier could fall or we could get someone like Henzonja. 33 + 45 could land us a pick in the late 20s, where we could scoop up Robert Upshaw.

Smart/IT
ET/Young
Crowder/Hezonja
Sully/Olynyk
Zeller/Upshaw

It's a young team with tons of cap space heading into the offseason. We could absolutely attract a Love-type if he opts out, a Cousins-type to agree in principle to an extension upon trade, or snatch up a second-tier free agent such as Greg Monroe, who still has room to grow.

Smart/IT
ET/Young
Crowder/Hezonja
Sully/Olynyk
Monroe/Zeller/Upshaw

That's a team I believe could make it to the second round of the playoffs in the Eastern Conference with ample potential left in them. I'd be ecstatic if this is what the Celts looked like next year.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:03:24 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

16. BOSTON CELTICS
R.J. Hunter, SG, Georgia State: The Celtics could use a real shot maker after finishing 27th in the NBA this season in 3-point accuracy. Hunter would provide that despite his 30 percent mark from 3 this season, as his fluid stroke and NBA-ready range profile well on the next level. He also has a terrific feel for the game, and that will profile well with Brad Stevens, who more than most needs high IQ players in his system. The question with Hunter is defense, where despite his long arms he struggled in the Panthers' zone this season.

28. BOSTON CELTICS
Jordan Mickey, PF, LSU: His stock is moving on up after playing and testing extremely well at the combine. The Celtics need someone to protect the rim, and few did it better on the collegiate level last season than Mickey. He averaged over four blocks per 40 minutes, and also is developing a nice little face up game to make up for his lack of size. He might not ever be a starter, but he could become a nice role player in a spot that the team needs.

33. BOSTON CELTICS
Aleksandar Vezenkov, SF, Bulgaria: He's an absolutely terrific shooter, and the Celtics will need to stash at least one of their four picks.

45. BOSTON CELTICS
Cedi Osman, SF, Macedonia: An interesting, projectable small forward prospect that the Celtics can stash and see what happens.

The rest
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25192433/nba-mock-draft-draft-order-set-after-lottery
I'd take Looney over Hunter at 16.  We need to get a potential quality center out of this draft so I'd either take Upshaw at 28 or Jaiteh at 33. 

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 07:19:40 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Hunter is not a guy I want nor do I see him worthy of the 16th pick. He's tall with a decent basketball IQ...and that's about it. He doesn't shoot well from the college 3pt line and I have doubts that he will get better because he can't create his own shot. He's not explosive. He gets beaten off the dribble. I can't think of one outstanding aspect of his game that will translate to the NBA. Thus I don't see him being an impact player in the NBA. Oh, and he's almost 22 years old already.

In fact, I can't think of a realistic candidate I'd want less than Hunter at #16.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 07:38:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
   Kind of lacking in the big  department.   Mickey is only 6'8".

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 08:09:03 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

33. BOSTON CELTICS

Ford-

Apr 13 Update: The Bulgarian-born big man is putting up huge numbers in the Greek league -- nearly 19 points and eight rebounds a game this season. The fact that he's shooting 42 percent from 3 and plays with a high basketball IQ is intriguing. However, he lacks great athleticism and strength. Most NBA scouts believe he'll never be able to guard his position in the NBA -- he can barely guard it in Greece. Will his offensive prowess overcome those concerns? Most scouts are wary, but he is a name a couple of scouts mentioned as a potential first-rounder. However, most had him planted firmly in the second round.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 09:46:32 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

33. BOSTON CELTICS

Ford-

Apr 13 Update: The Bulgarian-born big man is putting up huge numbers in the Greek league -- nearly 19 points and eight rebounds a game this season. The fact that he's shooting 42 percent from 3 and plays with a high basketball IQ is intriguing. However, he lacks great athleticism and strength. Most NBA scouts believe he'll never be able to guard his position in the NBA -- he can barely guard it in Greece. Will his offensive prowess overcome those concerns? Most scouts are wary, but he is a name a couple of scouts mentioned as a potential first-rounder. However, most had him planted firmly in the second round.

Hmmmm, sounds a lot like Gigi.  You could do worse with a second rounder, but I'd rather take a flyer on someone athletic
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 09:46:32 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

And so is Tristan Thompson, David West, Faried

On the flipside guys that are much taller like Hawes, Ryan Anderson , Ryan Hollins can't rebound nor block shots.   Height is not everything

I have stated several times also that Mickey has a 7'3.5 wingspan and ridiculous 37.5 max vert.  and it does matter.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

On the flipside guys that are much taller like Hawes, Ryan Anderson , Ryan Hollins can't rebound nor block shots.   Height is not everything

I have stated several times also that Mickey has a 7'3.5 wingspan and ridiculous 37.5 max vert.  and it does matter.

None of those guys protect the rim though. If you're looking for Mickey to be an athletic type who hustles and gets garbage points, that's one thing. However, if you're looking for him to be a rim protector that's another story. Undersized 4's dont typically equal rim protection.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 10:38:37 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

None of those guys protect the rim though. If you're looking for Mickey to be an athletic type who hustles and gets garbage points, that's one thing. However, if you're looking for him to be a rim protector that's another story. Undersized 4's dont typically equal rim protection.

I agree they don't typically protect the rim, but they don't typically protect the rim in college at Mickey's level either. I'd list Horford as a guy who does a good job protecting the rim as an undersized center. He doesn't do it with pure athleticism either.

I'm not exactly sold on Mickey but I could be talked into him. I just don't see his height as a problem given his other measurements, athleticism, and actual on court production.

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 10:43:18 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I remember reading that Vezenkov will not declare.

He is very determined and focused on his development. Last summer he haad a very good offer (financialy) from euroleague teams but he choose the team that guaranteed more play time.
But now imho he needs to play with the big boys  in euroleague if he wants an nba contract

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 10:50:33 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

that may be true in general. but it is also true that at the #28 or #33 draft slots, a team generally cannot be too choosey since there is little to choose from. just a getting a player at those slots who actually makes a nba roster for any reasons is a success.

mickey at either of those two places would be fine with me.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 10:52:04 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

What does it matter if your 6'6 or 6'11. If you can rebound or protect the rim at a high level?

Mickey led in bpg last season.  His timing plus physical tools made it happen.

If mickey was 200 pound pf I wouldnt be excited. Maybe that is the way you are seeing him. But he is 240 and did not get moved easily

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 10:53:37 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Not a fan of the RJ pick, but like the other two. If we select a guard I would like him to be able to create his own shot (although I would be OK with Booker who has a much higher upside than RJ)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 11:06:32 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I like Rashad Vaugn in the second round. Only 18, very good shooter, terrific scoring instincts. Sounds a lot like Devin Booker who is most likely going in the first half of the first round.