Author Topic: Chad Ford: Upshaw's off-the-court issues more serious than initially thought  (Read 49292 times)

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
None of us know what happened. Like literally we know nothing. How can you decide whether you would pick him or not without knowing anything? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but we have to wait until more information comes out to really have a fair opinion. It seems like the teams know a lot but we don't really even know that. Let's just wait for the draft.

If you hunt around enough you'd know that reportedly some teams don't even have him on their draft boards and there are enough credible guys saying NBA execs have a real problem with him.  If you're looking to take a flyer on him with a late first where the guaranteed money is lower or better still in the second, where it's not guaranteed that's one thing. You don't touch a guy like this before #20 in this draft where you have a good shot at picking up a productive NBA player.

We know nothing?? We know he was booted from not one but two programs in back to back years. So he's 2 for 2 batting 1000%. I was shocked when he was kicked off the Huskies before the tournament began?? You know how stupid he must have been to get booted when they had no shot of advancing without him. Maybe he grows up. But he probably won't.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
He won't go in first round due to guaranteed money. He will go high in 2nd round due to his talent, and the ability to cut him fast if it doesn't work out.  We pick 3rd in 2nd round, after Minnie (like they need another 5!!) and Houston (who drafted Cappella last year). 

So I think there is a decent chance Celtics will draft him at 33, if they don't package that pick in a trade.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
None of us know what happened. Like literally we know nothing. How can you decide whether you would pick him or not without knowing anything? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but we have to wait until more information comes out to really have a fair opinion. It seems like the teams know a lot but we don't really even know that. Let's just wait for the draft.

That's incredibly boring.  That's like saying we should wait until free agency starts to talk about possible free agents.

Talking about rumors now makes it more likely that other posters will be on the lookout for relevant info and seek to post it as soon as they see it.  It also makes sense to me to talk about other possibilities to counter those who make the unfair opinion that it is probably just weed.  Maybe it's wrong of me to demonstrate that other people are poor at risk assessment, but I don't think so.

I would give him as much benefit of the doubt on this as I would if he had a rumored health issue that supposedly had him dropping down many teams' boards, but we had zero information on what it was.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Heart issues too

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/775955

An issue with Robert Upshaw's heart was identified by doctors at the NBA Combine in Chicago last month, which has forced him to suspend training and postpone all workouts with NBA teams. At this point, no long term conclusions have been reached, and further blood testing has been requested by NBA doctors to pinpoint the exact nature of his medical condition.

We reached out to Upshaw's agent, Bill Duffy, for comment.

"Robert and his family have been fully aware of his medical history. Twice previously this was addressed by highly respected University Cardiologists and Robert was subsequently cleared for all basketball activities. The NBA Combine Doctors are now waiting for the results of a final test, which will be known in a week's time. For good reason, we take this very seriously and support the physicians doing their due diligence. Based on the outcome of previous evaluations, we expect his full clearance. Robert's health comes first and the progress he was making prior to this break in activity was exceptional. We are confident once his training is resumed he'll continue to be in a really good position going forward."

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3cEPhbiwX
http://www.draftexpress.com

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Wow have to think he is at best going 33 to C's. It could actually be a good thing for him. Celtics did well with Wilcox and Green. Also they help showcase guys and increase their value that players got paid decently. He rehabs and increases his value and is a FA sooner.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Havent heard a whisper on this guy. Could his heart issue rumor be a smokescreen set by someone? Maybe he has been given a promise already

We should have a nice decent chance to grab him at 33 (even with the heart scare) if danny wants to take a chance.  Wolves at 31 have towns, okafor, dieng  and rockets have howard and capela.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Havent heard a whisper on this guy. Could his heart issue rumor be a smokescreen set by someone? Maybe he has been given a promise already

We should have a nice decent chance to grab him at 33 (even with the heart scare) if danny wants to take a chance.  Wolves at 31 have towns, okafor, dieng  and rockets have howard and capela.

I think all things considered he will probably go undrafted. You don't hear this kind of stuff about players as smoke screens.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Could be a smokescreen, but I haven't seen any mocks showing him in the first round,  people here have over-rated him to begin with, and there are media types saying there's more bad news about his off-court adventures. It's clearly not about smoking weed.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Not sure why you think that it could be a smokescreen.

His agent...
"Robert and his family have been fully aware of his medical history. Twice previously this was addressed by highly respected University Cardiologists and Robert was subsequently cleared for all basketball activities. The NBA Combine Doctors are now waiting for the results of a final test, which will be known in a week's time. For good reason, we take this very seriously and support the physicians doing their due diligence. Based on the outcome of previous evaluations, we expect his full clearance. Robert's health comes first and the progress he was making prior to this break in activity was exceptional. We are confident once his training is resumed he'll continue to be in a really good position going forward."

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
He's in the bargaining stage.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jeff Green overcame heart problems. I think there are a few other athletes that were able to overcome/deal with the issue

I still think Danny could take the risk on him at 33.  We can burn a pick or two (risky pick, euro draft and stash)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Jeff Green overcame heart problems. I think there are a few other athletes that were able to overcome/deal with the issue

I still think Danny could take the risk on him at 33.  We can burn a pick or two (risky pick, euro draft and stash)

It totally depends on what the heart problem is. Some heart issues are correctable with surgery or treatment, some are not , and are very life threatening, and some issues the doctors really don't know much about, such as Reggie Lewis' issue.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

It totally depends on what the heart problem is. Some heart issues are correctable with surgery or treatment, some are not , and are very life threatening, and some issues the doctors really don't know much about, such as Reggie Lewis' issue.
I would select him in the first maybe even before our 28th pick. He has known about the problem and seen doc's that cleared him to play at 2 dif colleges.

But I really hope he slides more now. It would be a gift to get him with our 33rd pick. And it may be the best situation for both parties in the long run if he is selected 33rd.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I would select him in the first maybe even before our 28th pick. He has known about the problem and seen doc's that cleared him to play at 2 dif colleges.

But I really hope he slides more now. It would be a gift to get him with our 33rd pick. And it may be the best situation for both parties in the long run if he is selected 33rd.

I would take him, but in the 2nd round only. You can't risk a guaranteed contract on a guy with legit off court issues AND heart problems. It is also possible that the two issues are related, i.e drug abuse contributing to heart damage.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

You've been pushing to take him at 16 until now.  why the change?