Author Topic: Chad Ford: Upshaw's off-the-court issues more serious than initially thought  (Read 49478 times)

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

No one in the real world cares about whether or not you smoke pot, as long as it doesn't affect your job performance -- and, since NBA players are public figures/role models/NBA Cares representatives, that's why no one really talks about it.

Can you imagine if the NBA had a draconian drug policy with weed the way the NFL does?

We would be watching a lot more FIBA, I think.

We watch Fiba now?

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
From a recent Basketball Insiders chat:

Alex Kennedy

I don’t think Robert Upshaw is a first-round pick and I’m not even sure if he’ll be drafted, to be honest. As teams are digging into his situation and doing their homework, there are red flags left and right (and it’s not just the substance abuse, from what I’m told). I hope he can get the help he needs and turn his life around, but I’ve talked to some people around the NBA who say there’s no way they would pick him – in either round.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Alex Kennedy

I don’t think Robert Upshaw is a first-round pick and I’m not even sure if he’ll be drafted, to be honest. As teams are digging into his situation and doing their homework, there are red flags left and right (and it’s not just the substance abuse, from what I’m told). I hope he can get the help he needs and turn his life around, but I’ve talked to some people around the NBA who say there’s no way they would pick him – in either round.

That's crazy. I get not picking him in the first round if you worry about the red flags. But being undrafted? He's not even going to be worth risking a non-guaranteed contract!? Shut the front door...

You'd have to be a criminal for that to happen, and from what I read, he hasn't been charged with a crime. His talents and potential are too good for the second round. For execs to tell him they won't even draft him in the 2nd are either two things...

a.) They know something that we don't, like criminal records or ongoing trial about a felony he committed. Or...

b.) They're just blowing A TON of smoke so he'd drop way too far.

I think it's safe to say that even the anti Upshaw guys would think that he's worth taking a flier in the second round. Those red flags better be criminal records for them to not even consider drafting him in the 2nd round.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Alex Kennedy

That's crazy. I get not picking him in the first round if you worry about the red flags. But being undrafted? He's not even going to be worth risking a non-guaranteed contract!? Shut the front door...

You'd have to be a criminal for that to happen, and from what I read, he hasn't been charged with a crime. His talents and potential are too good for the second round. For execs to tell him they won't even draft him in the 2nd are either two things...

a.) They know something that we don't, like criminal records or ongoing trial about a felony he committed. Or...

I think it's safe to say that even the anti Upshaw guys would think that he's worth taking a flier in the second round. Those red flags better be criminal records for them to not even consider drafting him in the 2nd round.

If there are severe enough substance problems then unfortunately the legal and criminal problems are usually inevitable.

Not many people get out of those situations and crowds squeaky clean.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Maybe there is concern that Upshaw could be basketball's Aaron Hernandez, to name another guy with first-round talent who fell in the draft in part because of multiple drug test failures.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Alex Kennedy

Well what we know should be enough to push him late 1st if not out the first round. Lets see now we have 1. drugs, 2. poor teammate, 3. poor decisions, 4. poor fitness after booted the second time, 5. poor support group, 6. minor health issues affecting workout status. Now if he has any slip ups beyond those above your looking at not being taken in first 50 picks. Because at some point you start to feel these arent kid mistakes. They are choices by a person with bad character.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Alex Kennedy

All indications are Upshaw's problems are serious.  His dismissal from Washington is less than 5 months ago.  The chances of him having resolved all his problems in the last few months and there not being future issues seems slim to me.  So if you do draft Upshaw, how much leeway do you give him?  If it is one screw up and he's out, you might as well not draft him. 

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
None of these guys are Boy Scouts

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Alex Kennedy

Of course they know things that we don't know.  I have no idea why everyone on this blog automatically assumes he is merely a pot smoker.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Jeff Goodman recently said that alcohol was another one of Upshaw's issues. So many red flags that I find it laughable whenever someone suggests to pick with the #16.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jeff Goodman recently said that alcohol was another one of Upshaw's issues. So many red flags that I find it laughable whenever someone suggests to pick with the #16.

yeah, not at 16. 33 yes

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

yeah, not at 16. 33 yes

I'll take him at #33 because his contract is non-guanateed. However, depending on the circumstances surrounding his addiction(s) it will make me reconsider him at #33 depending on who else is available. At #45 I don't see anybody falling that far that will make me take pause in a Upshaw selection.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Alex Kennedy

Of course they know things that we don't know.  I have no idea why everyone on this blog automatically assumes he is merely a pot smoker.

I'm not assuming that. I'm just saying that if none will even give him a look on the 2nd round, when it's already considered a low risk high reward, something is not right.

He's too talented to not even be able to be drafted in the second round. His red flags may have to involve future jail time foer him to not even get a look at #40-60. Or GM's are just blowing smoke to each other so he'd drop on the 2nd round.

I'd still swing at #16 if he's available. So what of the red flags, this is the perfect time to go big or go home. Too muchpotential to pass.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Alex Kennedy

I'm not assuming that. I'm just saying that if none will even give him a look on the 2nd round, when it's already considered a low risk high reward, something is not right.

He's too talented to not even be able to be drafted in the second round. His red flags may have to involve future jail time foer him to not even get a look at #40-60. Or GM's are just blowing smoke to each other so he'd drop on the 2nd round.

I'd still swing at #16 if he's available. So what of the red flags, this is the perfect time to go big or go home. Too muchpotential to pass.

That would be such an awful decision. "If available"? Obviously he'll be available at #16 and he'll be available way after that too. You simply can't give this guy a guaranteed contract because of the risks with him. Addiction(s) and having money = a recipe for disaster so you have to protect your investment by making his contract non-guanteed, which it is in the 2nd rd.

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I fear that he will mess up big time if he ever joined the Celtics ???
I think that he would benefit from having veterans around him that could keep him in check. Hey maybe Wallace is up for the challenge ::)
Jack of all trades, master of none.