Author Topic: Chad Ford: Upshaw's off-the-court issues more serious than initially thought  (Read 49448 times)

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
What needs to be discovered is, are we talking the continual recreational use of marijuana, including sale? Or addiction to a hard drug. When I say addiction, I'm asking the question is he an addictive personality in reference to drugs. 
Is that why he went to stay at a drug rehabilitation center or not? Or was it a introduction to the dangers of Marijuana type of thing. Totally different problems as far as I'm concerned.

Don't tell me Danny and other GM's don't know the answer to this question. Any GM that is seriously considering drafting him, would be lax if they didn't investigate if the kid is an actual addict. 

If he's a drug addict, sorry it would be no go for me. That's a life long battle.

If we're talking about smoking pot, and getting caught a few times, (I would hope they tested other members of the team), because I wish I had a dollar for every basketball player, high school, college, or pro's that has smoked marijuana. Many of these kids come from inner city low income lifestyles.

Hopefully he now understands that he will be under scrutiny from the NBA for his entire career and has learned his lesson. Smarten up, be an adult, Case closed.

Yeah, 'cause it's rare that middle class, suburban white kids ever smoke pot.

Obvs. That's why the war on drugs only really targets people from inner city low income lifestyles, because they're the only ones doing it.

Oh dear god - wow :o.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
It's simple math. Can't argue with it.

Oh yes you can.  Numbers lie, and once you start viewing people as statistics, well, do I really need to say any more, here, lol ;D?

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
What needs to be discovered is, are we talking the continual recreational use of marijuana, including sale? Or addiction to a hard drug. When I say addiction, I'm asking the question is he an addictive personality in reference to drugs. 
Is that why he went to stay at a drug rehabilitation center or not? Or was it a introduction to the dangers of Marijuana type of thing. Totally different problems as far as I'm concerned.

Don't tell me Danny and other GM's don't know the answer to this question. Any GM that is seriously considering drafting him, would be lax if they didn't investigate if the kid is an actual addict. 

If he's a drug addict, sorry it would be no go for me. That's a life long battle.

If we're talking about smoking pot, and getting caught a few times, (I would hope they tested other members of the team), because I wish I had a dollar for every basketball player, high school, college, or pro's that has smoked marijuana. Many of these kids come from inner city low income lifestyles.

Hopefully he now understands that he will be under scrutiny from the NBA for his entire career and has learned his lesson. Smarten up, be an adult, Case closed.

Obvs. That's why the war on drugs only really targets people from inner city low income lifestyles, because they're the only ones doing it.

Should I have added (Sarcasm) to that? I thought it was fairly obvious.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

Some of you are not getting my point. I don't want to get into a social debate about do kids from inner city deal with drugs differently than middle class youth.

That's all I'm saying is, there is a big difference from being addicted to a class C drug, and casual user of marijuana. I understand white middle class kids smoke pot too, that's not the point. Don't be purposefully obtuse.

I have not heard one actual fact about exactly what the complete story was in reference to Robert Upshaw...is he an actual addict or young man that had errors in judgement. My point is, I find it difficult to believe the GM's of the NBA don't know exactly what the whole story is. They couldn't possibly make a sensible decision in drafting him.

I fully understand that the general public (us), are not entitled to know the entire story.

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Dont draft him.  There are other centers.

Hoping he keeps it together and has a great NBA career.  I don't mind if
it's not with the Celtics.

Not against marijuana smoking.  It just feels like there's stuff here
that will take awhile and one the current Celtic strengths is
mental toughness and focus.

Good luck Robert Upshaw.

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I wouldn't be surprised if he was available at #33 due to all his issues. We should take the chance and see what happens. He could turn out to be very good or very bad, but hey it's only pick #33 ::)
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
If he is available at 28 or 33, I am sure they will look hard at him.  That is part of the value of having all of these picks, you can take some chances.

The difference between a first round pick (28) and a second round pick (33) comes down to contract.  A second round contract will be less guaranteed money but he will reach UFA sooner so we don't have him tied up as long.  I actually think the 28 pick could be the best one to use on him.  You get him under control at pretty short money for the potential.  If he busts, the money won't hurt the cap space all that much.

As always, it depends on who else is available and about 100 other factors but I would not be upset at all if they were to use 28 or 33.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If he is available at 28 or 33, I am sure they will look hard at him.  That is part of the value of having all of these picks, you can take some chances.

The difference between a first round pick (28) and a second round pick (33) comes down to contract.  A second round contract will be less guaranteed money but he will reach UFA sooner so we don't have him tied up as long.  I actually think the 28 pick could be the best one to use on him.  You get him under control at pretty short money for the potential.  If he busts, the money won't hurt the cap space all that much.

As always, it depends on who else is available and about 100 other factors but I would not be upset at all if they were to use 28 or 33.

TP great point.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I wouldn't waste a pick on this guy, especially at 16. You can still find a solid role player at 16 (assuming the C's actually don't move up or trade the pick which I find more likely to happen). The guy sounds like a knucklehead and quite frankly isn't worth the trouble imo. He wouldn't be the first talented player to amount to nothing. I'd rather use the late first rounders on possibly a young euro the C's could stash overseas for a year or two than waste it on this guy.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I wouldn't waste a pick on this guy, especially at 16. You can still find a solid role player at 16 (assuming the C's actually don't move up or trade the pick which I find more likely to happen). The guy sounds like a knucklehead and quite frankly isn't worth the trouble imo. He wouldn't be the first talented player to amount to nothing. I'd rather use the late first rounders on possibly a young euro the C's could stash overseas for a year or two than waste it on this guy.

A solid role player compare to a kid with star potential just because of his troubled past. Were not going to win a ring if were not willing to work, and part if that work is keeping him in line.

Why settle for a role player? Is it because "he's not worth the trouble"? That's it? It because he's a clean cut dude? We'll pass on what Chard Ford himself said is a lottery talent just because we can't be troubled into making sure he's going on the right track?

We need talent, and a talented player could skip to us at #16, you don't pass on it, regardless of the red flags. You work with the red flags, not pass and get a dude with no red flags but would amount to salt best, a bench player.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
A large amount of the Celtic's smoke weed. I also know for a fact that JR Giddens has smoked weed dipped in embalming fluid . I also know that he said after the loss to the Magic in 09 was that the team was ok to smoke again and that was what most of the were doing( could be bs).

My source is a best friend and never has lied to me. My source does not know about the other players smoking weed first hand, just what Giddens told my source. BTW My source smoked with Giddens.

I wish I could say more, usually Id love to, but this person is very close to me and I could not say any more info.

BTW I have stated this before but it seemed with the Upshaw topic that I say it again.

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

A solid role player compare to a kid with star potential just because of his troubled past. Were not going to win a ring if were not willing to work, and part if that work is keeping him in line.

Why settle for a role player? Is it because "he's not worth the trouble"? That's it? It because he's a clean cut dude? We'll pass on what Chard Ford himself said is a lottery talent just because we can't be troubled into making sure he's going on the right track?

We need talent, and a talented player could skip to us at #16, you don't pass on it, regardless of the red flags. You work with the red flags, not pass and get a dude with no red flags but would amount to salt best, a bench player.

So agree with this. We have sooo many middling picks the next few years. We already have like 8 good roleplayers on our team, do we really need like 10 more? Why not swing for the fences a few times? I'd way rather have one stud than like 3 more solid roleplayers.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

It's way more likely that Upshaw never plays in the NBA than him turning into a rim protecting superstar. I'm also not sold on his as a player also. He's 21 and ridiculously raw. He's only played a handful of games in college and has basically played almost no competitive basketball the past few years as he's been kicked out if 2 schools. I just think he'd be a bad pick in general. If they really want him they can go waste a 2nd rounder. But they can find someone who could help at 16. Just my opinion.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
We have so many picks coming up, that I would certainly take a chance on a top tier rim protector with all-star potential despite his issues. We have a great coach and system to help young guys develop here too, and, you know, a gaping need for a rim protector.

THANK YOU!

I've been saying all along that even at #16 we should take this guy because of his potential and who he can be on the court if he handles himself well. I understand the risks but we are in a position where we can take risk. Why settle for a clean cut, future 10 minute per game guy when a kid who can be a starter could be right there at our fingertips?

Work with him. Tell him that he has a bright future ahead if he keeps himself in check.

Also, how much of this is just GM's blowing smoke so his stock won't rise and he drops to them? Is that crazy to speculate?

I agree with Yoki. .........we NEED to address the center issue in the worst way .

I'm still for snagging him at 16 .

The payoff is just TOO high not to try.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Chad dropped this in his latest chat...

Dustin (Sacramento)
If you're picking late in the first round, do you roll the dice on Robert Upshaw?

Chad Ford 1:50 PM ET
Might be the best rim protector in the draft. A lottery talent. But the off-the-court issues are serious. More serious than teams initially thought. Everyone is pulling for him to get his life turned around, but I think there are some serious reservations from NBA teams about drafting him in the first round.

why doesn't Ford expand on what the real off court issues are instead of basically saying nothing accurate

He is working fOR Danny .... ;D