Author Topic: Chad Ford: Upshaw's off-the-court issues more serious than initially thought  (Read 49289 times)

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Hypothetically, if Upshaw turned out to have a serious cocaine problem, when would you be okay with drafting him?

Yes, but only if we give him #30.
really? i had no idea brandon bass had a cocaine addiction.  ;D

or, were you referring to someone else on this list of #30s?:
Glenn McDonald (1975-1976)
Cedric Maxwell (1978-1979)
M.L. Carr (1980-1985)
Todd Lichti (1994)
Blue Edwards (1995)
Thomas Hamilton (1996)
Marty Conlon (1997)
Mark Blount (2001-2006)
Sebastian Telfair (2007)
Rasheed Wallace (2010)
Troy Murphy (2011)

i think you might be referring to the infamous #27.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Hypothetically, if Upshaw turned out to have a serious cocaine problem, when would you be okay with drafting him?

Not funny.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

really? i had no idea brandon bass had a cocaine addiction.  ;D

or, were you referring to someone else on this list of #30s?:
Glenn McDonald (1975-1976)
Cedric Maxwell (1978-1979)
M.L. Carr (1980-1985)
Todd Lichti (1994)
Blue Edwards (1995)
Thomas Hamilton (1996)
Marty Conlon (1997)
Mark Blount (2001-2006)
Sebastian Telfair (2007)
Rasheed Wallace (2010)
Troy Murphy (2011)

i think you might be referring to the infamous #27.

He was referring to this guy -

Sigh.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Shawn Kemp 2.0!

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Not funny.

Do you get this torn up about everyone that's died before you were born? Must be awful, going around with so much pent up grief for the billions of dead people that existed before you.

Schools are allowed to make their own policies for testing conducted on their campus (although they are required to follow them, which is one thing Syracuse is in trouble for).  Probably only BYU and the service academies have policies that are more strict than three tests and you're out.

Private schools can make up whatever rules they want.   A lot depends on the person, an athlete nine times out of ten is going.

Which means it happened nearly 30 years ago, and would have little bearing on a similar scenario today.

Thanks for not clicking the links, some of those were revised in 2012.
I did click the links, but your anecdotal remark as a response (complete with a "sounds like you never played college sports" lead in) is, actually, entirely irrelevant to the situation today. No need to get so feisty about it.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
What needs to be discovered is, are we talking the continual recreational use of marijuana, including sale? Or addiction to a hard drug. When I say addiction, I'm asking the question is he an addictive personality in reference to drugs. 
Is that why he went to stay at a drug rehabilitation center or not? Or was it a introduction to the dangers of Marijuana type of thing. Totally different problems as far as I'm concerned.

Don't tell me Danny and other GM's don't know the answer to this question. Any GM that is seriously considering drafting him, would be lax if they didn't investigate if the kid is an actual addict. 

If he's a drug addict, sorry it would be no go for me. That's a life long battle.

If we're talking about smoking pot, and getting caught a few times, (I would hope they tested other members of the team), because I wish I had a dollar for every basketball player, high school, college, or pro's that has smoked marijuana. Many of these kids come from inner city low income lifestyles.

Hopefully he now understands that he will be under scrutiny from the NBA for his entire career and has learned his lesson. Smarten up, be an adult, Case closed.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What needs to be discovered is, are we talking the continual recreational use of marijuana, including sale? Or addiction to a hard drug. When I say addiction, I'm asking the question is he an addictive personality in reference to drugs. 
Is that why he went to stay at a drug rehabilitation center or not? Or was it a introduction to the dangers of Marijuana type of thing. Totally different problems as far as I'm concerned.

I see them as similar.  If something has a pull on you so strong that you can't give it up even though it's potentially ruining your life and costing you millions of dollars, it's got a lot of the same qualities as an addiction.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Not funny.

Do you get this torn up about everyone that's died before you were born? Must be awful, going around with so much pent up grief for the billions of dead people that existed before you.

You know what?  You're absolutely right - it's a ton of fun to not only joke about people dying, but especially someone who passed away via drugs, and whose death ultimately resulted in the demise of the Celtic dynasty (sarcasm).  That's hilarious (sarcasm)! ::)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
My bad for getting fiesty Dos, sorry.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
My bad for getting fiesty Dos, sorry.

No Problem! Easy to get snippy over the internet (I do it a lot).

Not funny.

You know what?  You're absolutely right - it's a ton of fun to not only joke about people dying, but especially someone who passed away via drugs, and whose death ultimately resulted in the demise of the Celtic dynasty (sarcasm).  That's hilarious (sarcasm)! ::)

Never made a Darwin award joke in your life, eh?

I suspect at least some members of this forum have had friends and/or family die of drug use or drug addiction. I hope you are not one of them, but if you happen to find yourself in that sad circumstance, you might walk away with a touch of dark humor about the whole thing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:43:00 PM by D.o.s. »
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Don't tell me Danny and other GM's don't know the answer to this question. Any GM that is seriously considering drafting him, would be lax if they didn't investigate if the kid is an actual addict. 

If he's a drug addict, sorry it would be no go for me. That's a life long battle.

If we're talking about smoking pot, and getting caught a few times, (I would hope they tested other members of the team), because I wish I had a dollar for every basketball player, high school, college, or pro's that has smoked marijuana. Many of these kids come from inner city low income lifestyles.

Hopefully he now understands that he will be under scrutiny from the NBA for his entire career and has learned his lesson. Smarten up, be an adult, Case closed.

Yeah, 'cause it's rare that middle class, suburban white kids ever smoke pot. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Obvs. That's why the war on drugs only really targets people from inner city low income lifestyles, because they're the only ones doing it.

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Obvs. That's why the war on drugs only really targets people from inner city low income lifestyles, because they're the only ones doing it.

Oh yeah, that's right.  All you have to do is look at the statistics of the folks in prison for drug related offenses.

You'll see that a high percentage come from inner city low income lifestyles.  Of course the only logical conclusion we can draw from that is that these folks are involved in drugs at a much higher rate than their suburban high income counterparts. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
It's simple math. Can't argue with it.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
This thread has veered off-track and seems likely to be locked or have people warned to get back on track, so let me slip this link in before we reach that point.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference