Author Topic: Chad Ford: Upshaw's off-the-court issues more serious than initially thought  (Read 49593 times)

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Chad dropped this in his latest chat...

Dustin (Sacramento)
If you're picking late in the first round, do you roll the dice on Robert Upshaw?

Chad Ford 1:50 PM ET
Might be the best rim protector in the draft. A lottery talent. But the off-the-court issues are serious. More serious than teams initially thought. Everyone is pulling for him to get his life turned around, but I think there are some serious reservations from NBA teams about drafting him in the first round.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2725
We have so many picks coming up, that I would certainly take a chance on a top tier rim protector with all-star potential despite his issues. We have a great coach and system to help young guys develop here too, and, you know, a gaping need for a rim protector.

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

Dustin (Sacramento)
If you're picking late in the first round, do you roll the dice on Robert Upshaw?

Might be the best rim protector in the draft. A lottery talent. But the off-the-court issues are serious. More serious than teams initially thought. Everyone is pulling for him to get his life turned around, but I think there are some serious reservations from NBA teams about drafting him in the first round.

Don't like the sound of this. Makes my imagination go into high gear,

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Word is, he more probably than not conspired with a ball boy to deflate a basketball before one of his AAU games.

One can only hope that he never sets foot on the court again.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Cool,  hopefully he falls to the Clips' pick.  I'd be fine with him there and it would be good for his ego to drop a bit. 

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
We have so many picks coming up, that I would certainly take a chance on a top tier rim protector with all-star potential despite his issues. We have a great coach and system to help young guys develop here too, and, you know, a gaping need for a rim protector.

THANK YOU!

I've been saying all along that even at #16 we should take this guy because of his potential and who he can be on the court if he handles himself well. I understand the risks but we are in a position where we can take risk. Why settle for a clean cut, future 10 minute per game guy when a kid who can be a starter could be right there at our fingertips?

Work with him. Tell him that he has a bright future ahead if he keeps himself in check.

Also, how much of this is just GM's blowing smoke so his stock won't rise and he drops to them? Is that crazy to speculate?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I hope that Danny is the one spreading this rumor.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
At 28 I'd gamble or in a trade back but I still say no to Upshaw at 16.

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2967

THANK YOU!

I've been saying all along that even at #16 we should take this guy because of his potential and who he can be on the court if he handles himself well. I understand the risks but we are in a position where we can take risk. Why settle for a clean cut, future 10 minute per game guy when a kid who can be a starter could be right there at our fingertips?

Work with him. Tell him that he has a bright future ahead if he keeps himself in check.

Also, how much of this is just GM's blowing smoke so his stock won't rise and he drops to them? Is that crazy to speculate?

I agree. If Turner, Oubre, or S. Johnson fall I say take them, but if not you take a chance on upside and go with Upshaw. I'm not a fan of anyone else at the 16 range if we keep the pick, so why not take the chance?

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Dustin (Sacramento)

why doesn't Ford expand on what the real off court issues are instead of basically saying nothing accurate

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Dustin (Sacramento)

Given that he reportedly failed multiple drug tests at two schools, I'm going to go with either that it was more than just weed or that he may be involved with selling and not just using, or have strong ties to those who do.

That's the direction my imagination heads towards.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
argh.   Nightmare situation.  Upshaw gets picked 16th and for celebration does....

They should have KO and Upshaw live together.   The second Upshaw is drafted, have KO beside him at all times

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I don't really take what Chad Ford says seriously because he is not very credible. Plus a GM probably leaked this as a smokescreen. We should work him out and speak with him and do our homework and decide for ourselves.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Dustin (Sacramento)

Given that he reportedly failed multiple drug tests at two schools, I'm going to go with either that it was more than just weed or that he may be involved with selling and not just using, or have strong ties to those who do.

That's the direction my imagination heads towards.

That's the speculation I've heard.

When you get booted from two college teams when you're clearly their best player doesn't bode well. Teams will put up with a lot in college and I guarentee he wouldn't be kicked twice if he was just smoking weed.

At #28, I probably take him. At #16, I'm likely doing something else with the pick.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I don't really take what Chad Ford says seriously because he is not very credible. Plus a GM probably leaked this as a smokescreen. We should work him out and speak with him and do our homework and decide for ourselves.

Well that would be a perfect world but we have to make decisions as fans, which means this kinda stuff is all we really can "know".
*CB Miami Heat*