Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas for the Knicks' pick?  (Read 15466 times)

Re: Isaiah Thomas for the Knicks' pick?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 04:15:12 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
On paper Sullinger looks like a good fit for the triangle.

Sullinger is a better fit for a circle. :)

haha, was JUST about to say that

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 07:01:43 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Am I the only one who thinks that there's something karmically wrong with this idea, lol ;D?

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 07:24:55 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
IT is not really our backup PG. If we do not trade him or something happens he will be a starter. I mean he really is a starter and a dam good player. He would also be perfect for NY.

Just because we value Smart higher than IT does not mean the right team would not want IT over Smart. Over time I believe Smart will be a great 2 way player but don't get it confused, he is having a hard time even penetrating.

Also IT contract is an added value. Please try to remember that IT should be getting paid much more than 6 mil a year. That is very desirable to a team like NY who will be throwing money at top FA's.

So we trade IT and his (add value here) contract to NY. Then we absorb JC contract (2 years) which is at least worth an unprotected pick, if not more; ie another protected 1st or 2nd rounders. Then the Knicks would have more efficient roster and could go after better or more FA's THIS YEAR before the cap explodes.

Try to think of it like that.

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 07:51:44 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
IT plus #16 plus future 1st rounder for #4 and bad contract (Calderon) doesn't sound far fetched actually.

In 2007, Ray Allen (coming off double ankle surgery, something I think only Reggie Miller has come back from) and a late 2nd rounder netted #5, Wally, and Delonte West, who was a pretty serviceable role player at the time. Granted, RA has accomplished way more than IT, but IT is younger, was a huge part in bringing a team everybody pegged to be at the bottom to the 7th seed, and isn't coming off major surgery.
- LilRip

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 08:04:35 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Am I the only one who thinks that there's something karmically wrong with this idea, lol ;D?

I would love to see the Knicks reaction if on draft night they trade for someone named Isaiah Thomas. lol
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 08:24:43 PM by Celts Fan 508 »
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 08:17:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

I would love to see the Knicks reaction if on draft night they trade for Isaiah Thomas. lol

LOL.......5000 people puking at once.

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 08:23:25 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
For that to happen, they'd probably have to whiff on several other potential trades before reluctantly trading. I've said all along I think NY would trade their pick, but what star is actually available for it right now? Divac made it pretty clear that DMC was out, and the only other potential "star-caliber" players that I can think of being available are Lawson and potentially Lowry.

When compared to those trades, IT, 16, and the Brooklyn 2016 pick for Calderon and #4 is probably one of the better ones they could get as of right now before any other potential star becomes available. IT is an excellent shooter for the Triangle, they could get a PF prospect at 16, and they'd actually have a pick next year, which could potentially end up being pretty good, too. If they're trying to win right now with Melo, they won't pick a rookie at #4. They'd still have cap space to try for free agents, too.

I still think their best option would be to trade Melo to LA for #2, but there's no way the glamorous NYK go that route.

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 08:27:30 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I would love to see the Knicks reaction if on draft night they trade for Isaiah Thomas. lol

Kind of like this, lol ;D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Phy3IwxiVE

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 08:34:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Man they really wanted Steph.  This is one instance where you can go back and see Knicks fans reacting in the moment and it's not an actual overreaction.  They were spot on.  They missed a future MVP by a single pick.  They took Jordan Hill instead.  Ouchie.

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 08:40:49 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Man they really wanted Steph.  This is one instance where you can go back and see Knicks fans reacting in the moment and it's not an actual overreaction.  They were spot on.  They missed a future MVP by a single pick.  They took Jordan Hill instead.  Ouchie.

The only team more p---ed at that video then the Knicks must be the T'Wolves.  Johnny Flynn the pick before Curry, bet they regret that one  <---- Understatement of the century
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 08:42:02 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

You know what's funny/interesting about that is that Zeke wanted the Knicks to take Brandon Jennings.  How different would their team be today had they drafted him instead of Hill?  Jennings might not be an MVP, but he's still a hell of a player, and I don't think anyone could ever question that he's better than Hill, lol ;D.

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 08:43:42 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
For that to happen, they'd probably have to whiff on several other potential trades before reluctantly trading. I've said all along I think NY would trade their pick, but what star is actually available for it right now? Divac made it pretty clear that DMC was out, and the only other potential "star-caliber" players that I can think of being available are Lawson and potentially Lowry.

When compared to those trades, IT, 16, and the Brooklyn 2016 pick for Calderon and #4 is probably one of the better ones they could get as of right now before any other potential star becomes available. IT is an excellent shooter for the Triangle, they could get a PF prospect at 16, and they'd actually have a pick next year, which could potentially end up being pretty good, too. If they're trying to win right now with Melo, they won't pick a rookie at #4. They'd still have cap space to try for free agents, too.

I still think their best option would be to trade Melo to LA for #2, but there's no way the glamorous NYK go that route.

Well, that and Phil Jackson is 70. He's not in this for a long rebuild. His goal is to put stars around Melo this summer and win another title or two.

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 08:53:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Well, that and Phil Jackson is 70. He's not in this for a long rebuild. His goal is to put stars around Melo this summer and win another title or two.
Knicks should trade Melo for Julius Randle.   

Why for New York? -  They can build around Mudiay and Randle and have zillions of dollars in cap space to play with.

Why for LA?  -  They have Okafor and likely Kevin Love locked up... Jordan Clarkson and Kobe at the guards.   Melo would fit in nicely with that at SF.   

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 08:59:19 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Why for New York? -  They can build around Mudiay and Randle and have zillions of dollars in cap space to play with.

Why for LA?  -  They have Okafor and likely Kevin Love locked up... Jordan Clarkson and Kobe at the guards.   Melo would fit in nicely with that at SF.

LA isn't getting Melo without giving up their #2 pick, but I'm guessing they'd still give up Randle and #2 for Melo. They're in the same boat as NYK in trying to salvage the last few years of Kobe, and Kobe and Melo would theoretically be a good start to attracting other free agents there. Though, coincidentally, I think that would drive Love away, because both Kobe and Melo are ball-dominant scorers that would put him in the third seat again.

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 09:00:18 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

And that might be the worst defensive starting lineup ever in the NBA lol There's not one above average defender in that group lol